Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    You forget that the lord is located in the enemy's spawn, you are required to take down the gate, kill the guards, and solo the lord. During all this time, the announcer is spamming that there's someone messing shit up. In tournaments, the Guild Lord is all or nothing. Even if he's comparable to Svanir or Chieftain in difficulty, the risk versus reward isn't enough, so no one bothers.

If you wipe on the lord, you lose the game, unless you already have a huge lead. If you already have a huge lead, why risk it all for minor rewards? There's no point to it.

Again, this is all for tournaments. For Hot join, it's a nice fun little thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Larynx View Post
    Hello to you too Fencers! ^^
    Hello?

The current problem, you could say, with WvWvW right now is disorganization, ignorance, and poor MMR matching. All of these, of course, can be assumed to be beta issues. I wouldn't judge WvWvW yet.
    I am willing to let it be a beta issue. Specifically how short the beta is and the realistic fact you need be like level 20 to PVP decently. Those extra utility slots are literal lifesavers you'd be a idiot to forgo.

The PvE side of WvWvW seems to be relatively minor, honestly. It's just to give more flavor. I can't really come to a conclusion on if I like this or hate it however... The PvP puzzle was fun, though.
    I am not sure it is "minor" at all. There are DEs in there, Vistas and SPCs. I don't mind being ganked while trying for a vista or SPC. But it's kinda BS to have a 2 v 8 with 900 spiders and a veteran spider or fight a dredge army while fending off the zerg from green world.

The PVE parts are not minor, IMO. Way too much of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for the guide. Seriously, I had no idea what supply was for. I had a fucking blast WvWing durring BWE3. I hated the way point was so far from combat, but I noticed in another post above that you mentioned that you can create a way point at any spot you currently own. That will be a big help.

I had cancelled my pre order to GW2 durring BWE 1. I found the engine performace horrid, but I tried again last weekend durring BWE3 and the server and engine performance was amazing. There was a 'little' combat delay when over 200 people were on the screen at once (to be expected), but other than that it was smooth and fluid. I was amazed that it worked so well. I have no desire to play PvE in GW2, WvW and tPvP is all that im interested in. I honestly felt like GW2 is the best pvp I have ever played in a video game (CS 1.5 being the best =o] ).

I do have a quick question, how are you supposed to level in WvW? I had a hard time leveling my wep skills, I had to leave WvW and grind some PvE minions to unlock all my abilities. Is there a good way to get exp and wep level in WvW?

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Hello?

I am willing to let it be a beta issue. Specifically how short the beta is and the realistic fact you need be like level 20 to PVP decently. Those extra utility slots are literal lifesavers you'd be a idiot to forgo.

I am not sure it is "minor" at all. There are DEs in there, Vistas and SPCs. I don't mind being ganked while trying for a vista or SPC. But it's kinda BS to have a 2 v 8 with 900 spiders and a veteran spider or fight a dredge army while fending off the zerg from green world.

Minor in focus, not quantity.

I didn't do BWE3 or BWE2 for WvWvW, so I don't know how much it has changed since then.

Hello?

WvW is intended to be the solution to "World PvP" that people apparently always clamor for. It's not intended to be balanced, anything goes, there's PvE content, there's PvP content...pretty much anything goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

WvW is supposed to be a bit of a blend. Although I tend to agree that it could be a little easier for travel. People just want to get to the action.

Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    Thanks for the guide. Seriously, I had no idea what supply was for. I had a fucking blast WvWing durring BWE3. I hated the way point was so far from combat, but I noticed in another post above that you mentioned that you can create a way point at any spot you currently own. That will be a big help.

I had cancelled my pre order to GW2 durring BWE 1. I found the engine performace horrid, but I tried again last weekend durring BWE3 and the server and engine performance was amazing. There was a 'little' combat delay when over 200 people were on the screen at once (to be expected), but other than that it was smooth and fluid. I was amazed that it worked so well. I have no desire to play PvE in GW2, WvW and tPvP is all that im interested in. I honestly felt like GW2 is the best pvp I have ever played in a video game (CS 1.5 being the best =o] ).

I do have a quick question, how are you supposed to level in WvW? I had a hard time leveling my wep skills, I had to leave WvW and grind some PvE minions to unlock all my abilities. Is there a good way to get exp and wep level in WvW?
    Glad you liked it in BWE3, the engine has improved greatly during the beta weekend time-frame due to optimization being the last focus.

With regards to your question, you'll level your weapon skills anytime you deal damage to a target and that target dies (in WvW or PvE). This can be enemy players, or any of the PvE content that is scattered throughout WvW. Your largest character experience gains will likely be defending/assaulting keeps, due to the way they handle the experience (it counts as a dynamic event, and has a periodic reward).

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post

I'm glad this thread has been incredibly useful for you.

You gain experience from completing dynamic events (taking a keep in a certain amount of time, or defending a keep for this long are common ones) and from player kills. Weapon skills tend to be a little bit fickle in WvWvW. They seem to be off player killing blows, this may or may not have changed however.

Honestly, you gain experience in very large bursts in WvWvW. It's meant to even out to be equivalent to what you would get normally in PvE, this hasn't been my experience though. If some extreme circumstances, you might not get one experience for half an hour, and then you might get two full levels in 5 minutes during a siege. They probably need to work on leveling it out a bit more.

Don't take my word for it though, I only did WvWvW in BWE1, and the jumping puzzle for BWE2. So things might have changed since then.

And if all else fails for the weapon skills, there's several PvE events you can take part in to benefit your team. I recall something about befriending Hyleks, and then that village would send raiding parties to kill caravans and attack outposts.

---------- Post added 2012-07-26 at 12:31 PM ----------

I'm good at answering sPvP related questions and profession balance and mechanics, but not WvWvW.
    Last edited by Larynx; 2012-07-26 at 04:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rhandric View Post
    WvW is intended to be the solution to "World PvP" that people apparently always clamor for. It's not intended to be balanced, anything goes, there's PvE content, there's PvP content...pretty much anything goes.
    I don't recall having to contend with endless [not literal] waves of debuff applying frogmen while getting jumped in Vanern. :P

I don't recall having to contend with endless [not literal] waves of debuff applying frogmen while getting jumped in Vanern. :P
    Oh, so those Hylek were useful after all.

Great thread. Looks like Guild Wars 2 PvP will better then World of Peacecraft.

Deleted
    Contributions are always nice.

I especially need help coming up with more resources.
    What exactly are you looking for? I could do a brief write up of tactics our teams use on the maps, maybe some other stuff. Ayraswag's youtube channel has videos of our team playing aswell, also his warrior PvP videos.

Also since this is a PvP thread might aswell link this website here, which Spell and some others from Boon Control have put together. http://eternalmists.net/home
    It has streams from Team Legacy, Super Squad and other sPvP teams on there etc. Trying to get it off the ground at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyre Fierceshot View Post
    What exactly are you looking for? I could do a brief write up of tactics our teams use on the maps, maybe some other stuff. Ayraswag's youtube channel has videos of our team playing aswell, also his warrior PvP videos.

Also since this is a PvP thread might aswell link this website here, which Spell and some others from Boon Control have put together. http://eternalmists.net/home
    It has streams from Team Legacy, Super Squad and other sPvP teams on there etc. Trying to get it off the ground at the moment.
    Specifically:

Image of current PvP Hot join browser @_@
    Write up of openers on various maps, as well as tactis, strategy, and team composition (for example, explaining a 4-1 split, what you use, counters to it, ect.)
    Resources for PvP information/help/utility such as what I already have
    General guide for tournament play as well. Such as Getting Started, and so on.

Anything you have would be appreciated though.
    Last edited by Larynx; 2012-07-26 at 05:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lusitan View Post
    Oh my. Thank you. ^^

Could you give me the large thumbnail link for these?

Image of current PvP Hot join browser @_@

http://oyster.ignimgs.com/mediawiki/...browselist.jpg

more stuff at http://uk.ign.com/wikis/guild-wars-2/Structured_PvP

Points Distribution http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...1#post17705680 - missing 2 but u can use the table :P

Oh my. Thank you. ^^

Could you give me the large thumbnail link for these?
    dont have, and i dont know how to make them in the mmo-champion site
    Last edited by Lusitan; 2012-07-26 at 05:09 PM.

I'll just reupload them. Thanks a bunch Lusitan.

---------- Post added 2012-07-26 at 01:17 PM ----------

All fixed. Click to enlarge.
    Last edited by Larynx; 2012-07-26 at 05:17 PM.

The thing about the lord is that you shouldn't attack the base, run in kill the npcs, kill guild lord in one go.
    What my brother and I were doing was more like this. If we only had the middle we'd both push up towards the conquest flag at their base, nutralise it => destroy gate => cap point. If the enemy team sends 1guy back he's toast and u can enter to kill npc. After having killed X npc (depended on how strong our team was random pvp ftl) we'd go back to either retake the point we took, or fall all the way back to middle and go for that.

The idea is to kill the lord when you're at 300-350points (similar to how old split builds worked in gw1)

sadly we didn't test this vs any real team but on live we'll definatly run this strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Meledelion View Post
    The thing about the lord is that you shouldn't attack the base, run in kill the npcs, kill guild lord in one go.
    What my brother and I were doing was more like this. If we only had the middle we'd both push up towards the conquest flag at their base, nutralise it => destroy gate => cap point. If the enemy team sends 1guy back he's toast and u can enter to kill npc. After having killed X npc (depended on how strong our team was random pvp ftl) we'd go back to either retake the point we took, or fall all the way back to middle and go for that.

The idea is to kill the lord when you're at 300-350points (similar to how old split builds worked in gw1)

sadly we didn't test this vs any real team but on live we'll definatly run this strategy
    As obvious as that might sound, I never actually thought of something so simple.

I'll test it out on live. o_O Though, the team would probably catch on. It only takes one person to completely destroy your lord attempt. (personal experience >_>)

Deleted
    As obvious as that might sound, I never actually thought of something so simple.

I'll test it out on live. o_O Though, the team would probably catch on. It only takes one person to completely destroy your lord attempt. (personal experience >_>)
    CC them.

Me and a Guardian did the lord with 3 people attacking us too.