View Poll Results: will you be getting googles 1gb inernet when they release it?

Voters
269. This poll is closed
  • Yes, 1gb will give me crazy fast downloads

213 79.18%
  • No, it will be full of problems and isnt worth the price

56 20.82%
Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Marooned View Post
    Will it come to Canada? ;>
    Eventually, but we already have fibre options.

I'll get excited in a few years once it's proven and expands out. Odd place to start, but good for them.

I'm paying $80 a month for 1.5Mb/sec right now, if i could get something like that i would jump on it, living in the middle of no where can be a pain =/
    Proud member of the zero infraction club (lets see how long this can last =)

I wonder if this will ever reach the rest of the states and/or canada

Tbh Ive got 100mb/s net and we could upgrade to 500mb/s net for a small increase in price, but honestly I cant see the need. I can queue up downloads on Steam and what have you and not get anywhere near the limit.

Id have to travel upto Luleå and see how good their 1gb internet is :P

i'd get google broadband in a heartbeat with those speeds. loading web pages is pretty instant as it is. but the thought of been able to download things from places like netflix instantly would be too good to pass up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Firatha View Post
    We will never get it because monopolization is legal in Canada we will only have the big 3 for ever qq. I am pretty happy with shaw i just wish they had better upload is is like $80 cdn plus taxes tho QQ.
    You realize Google is worth like $200 billion and could easily buy them out if they wanted to.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Not sure if anyone has mentioned this, but look at the 5 Mb option too. $300 up front or $25/mo for a year, and you get guaranteed free internet with no data caps for 7 years.

where im at is a protected monopoly, so it wont come here. shame, it's about the same as i already pay, if not less once you throw in the mandatory land line i have to pay for with it. and i dont even have a phone plugged in, lol

You people are so lucky, looking at all these speeds.

In South Africa, we pay about R500, which is around $60-65, for 384k adsl. My max download speed is 38kb/s and max upload is 10kb/s for this price. This is also, might I add, the cheapest option in our country. Ping is 200-250ms if your lucky, complete timeouts occur every 2-3 hours for me.

So basically, i just wanted to say, im SO JELLY!

10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.speedtest.net/result/2086130598.png

I really hope I get a better ISP, I just switched to BT who Promised me between 5 and 8 mbps download, which was meant to be a huge jump from my 3mbps, but ofc they bullshitted and now i'm stuck with 2mbps on a good day ( or during the night), I can't even play Gears of war 3 or Call of duty Black ops because the lag is that horrendous i'm a free kill.

I'm hoping to try and get fiber optic broadband installed in the house, but I don't know how expensive that will be.

If google is decent and comes out in the UK, i'll hopefully get it.

You need to be very careful when talking about this speed. This is 1000 MB per second. That is not 1 GB (there is no lowercase g prefix in metric, so gb means nothing). This isn't 1 Gb as it is quite a few megabits off.

In terms of MegaBytes that is 125 MB per second. Which as a Comcast Customer with a speed of 25 Mbps (or 3 MBps), that is about 42 times faster. It's still an improvement, but when I read OP's titles it said 1 GB which is inaccurate.

---------- Post added 2012-07-26 at 07:37 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Sillinoob View Post
    You people are so lucky, looking at all these speeds.

In South Africa, we pay about R500, which is around $60-65, for 384k adsl. My max download speed is 38kb/s and max upload is 10kb/s for this price. This is also, might I add, the cheapest option in our country. Ping is 200-250ms if your lucky, complete timeouts occur every 2-3 hours for me.

So basically, i just wanted to say, im SO JELLY!
    I wouldn't feel bad this is a very exclusize city that this is launching in.

I could get 1Gbit Internet in two days if I phoned first thing in the morning already.
    Only change that would happen from my 100/50-connection is that I'd actually have to start paying for it.

Either way, to answer the question, no I would not. A) It won't be availible for Sweden. B) I would not pay for Internet today.

I dont see it coming here. I wonder how google will deal with some cities and their franchise agreements and requirements to do business in the city.

15+ Year Old Account
    I have no use for that quick internet connection, I am not downloading the internet. The only reason to get it is if you own an appartment building and want to share internet connection with all appartments in that building with a profit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Apparently $40 for this.
    So yes please. Freeeeeee.

My cellphone unlimited is at. (Don't really use it as it eventually consumes battery if there's too much data traffic).
    (Unsure why the tether sometimes is slower than the actual cellphone speed, but no complaints).

Edit - My phone carrier is not AT&T, lawlwut.
    Like my cellphone's to begin is 28Mbps download 18.33Mbps upload.
    Last edited by Remilia; 2012-07-26 at 11:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Linkedblade View Post
    You need to be very careful when talking about this speed. This is 1000 MB per second. That is not 1 GB (there is no lowercase g prefix in metric, so gb means nothing). This isn't 1 Gb as it is quite a few megabits off.

In terms of MegaBytes that is 125 MB per second. Which as a Comcast Customer with a speed of 25 Mbps (or 3 MBps), that is about 42 times faster. It's still an improvement, but when I read OP's titles it said 1 GB which is inaccurate.

---------- Post added 2012-07-26 at 07:37 PM ----------

I wouldn't feel bad this is a very exclusize city that this is launching in.
    The difference between 1000Mb/s and 1Gb/s is a mere 24Mb/s. At these speeds 24Mb/s is trivial. For all intents and purposes it's a 1Gb/s connection which should yield 100MB download speeds were there not a cap on the download source.
    Desktop: i7 6700k @ 4.8GHz | MSI 1080ti Gaming X | EVGA Classified K | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw V @ 3200MHz | Samsung 950 Pro 256GB (OS) Micron 2TB SSD (Games) | Seasonic 750W Titanium | Corsair 750D | Acer x34 Predator Benq PD3200U
    HIDevolution NP9877 Laptop: Delidded i7 8700k @ 4.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 1080 | 16GB G.Skill @ 2946MHz | Samsung 950 Pro 256GB (OS) 2x 500GB SSDs (Games) | 1440p 120HZ GSync Display

It is a great purposal and it should be supported since it's a "fuck you" message to the monopolists. Google is both able and willing to offer consumers the extremely fast speeds and if you can find a use for them - There's no better deal then using google.
    "Marketing is what you do when your product is no good."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellfury View Post
    Most ppl dont even have 1gb ethernet cards
    The video advertised gives 100MB/s, if you want faster internet it's your cable, not your ethernet jack.
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

Quote Originally Posted by Hellfury View Post
    Most ppl dont even have 1gb ethernet cards
    True but only because most people don't use cards.

Pretty much every PC sold in the last 6 years has had builtin gigabit ethernet. And many had it before that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, it would be nice, but it's only offered on Kansas City for the time being.

I'm currently paying $29.99/mon for this:

=\

Edit: It's usually 1Mbps down and 0.5Mbps up with 45 ping. There is currently something being downloaded on another device...
    Last edited by Roscoe; 2012-07-27 at 01:12 AM.