Thread: Personal story.

Deleted

Personal story.

Hi.

So my and my friend wanna level together from start to finish. We tried the last beta event and we both agreed on that the sylvari starting area looked coolest and was funniest.

We want to level our toons there.

However i'm wanting to play a Warrior, but i do not think that the sylvari looks "good" as warriors. I'd much more prefer to play either norn or charr as a warrior. But if i do pick Norn or charr and then start levling in the Sylvari area then i will miss my personal story. (I know it will be there for later)

So what am i really missing? Some bonus xp and some gearpieces while levling.
    BUT
    I can go back, since i'll be scaled down i can't just ROFLSTOMP everything when i decide to do my personal story so it's all good still.

I'm just wondering how big of a deal is it? How much will i be gimped or how much slower will it take in general if i don't play the personal story in the start?

Your friend will probably gain a few levels on you before you're even in the 30s. You get a pretty good amount of exp from doing the personal story. You should be able to buy some karma gear for the gear you'd miss out on though.

I'd probably do something like clear the first 1-15 area, and then go back and do the personal story before you move on to the next zone. It's completely separate from the zone since it's instanced, so you could always just do something like take a break from hearts/events so you can each do your own personal stories.

I did this with my Asura on the last BWE. My friend played a Sylvari and we leveled up in that area. The only thing you may be gimped on is XP if you're only doing your friends personal story. They give you a healthy chunk of xp (up to 1/2 a level), and so your friend could get ahead of you a bit. But a big deal, it is not.

If you don't explore the area that your personal story takes place in, you won't have the waypoints unlocked so you'll have to run around... but that's not much of anything. Honestly, I'd set aside about an hour for every day of play you do (depending on how much time you spend online) and just take that hour to work on your own personal story.

And although you will be down leveled when you go back, you will still have the advantage of all the utilities you'll be unlocking, as well as better weapons and armor. If you wait until you're level 30 to go and do the level 3 story part, it will be significantly easier.
    Why do I run? Why do I slay? Why do I play? ...Carrots? Nay.

Personal story accounts for a lot of experience early on. Expect to be levels behind him after a while.

Other than the fact that some of the instance entrances for the personal story are in the starting area for your race, there is no need for you to go that area at all. You can always port back and do your personal story steps as you reach the appropriate level for them.

Deleted
    I was thinking about this too, I'm set on a human guardian and my boyfriend wants an asura ranger (he's...a little insane, and wants the pet to be bigger than his character is) but we're both loving the asura zones.

The items etc aren't that much of a big deal, you can craft, buy or pick up stuff. Mainly it's the fact as Pab said, you gain a *lot* of xp through your story. So what I was going to do was just run back every 2-3 levels and update my story and he was going to do the same.

It's no big deal. Once you're level 2 you can go to whatever area you want.

Deleted
    Don't you share mob xp in the personal story? I really don't remember but I thought that was the case...

Quote Originally Posted by Kallanna View Post
    Don't you share mob xp in the personal story? I really don't remember but I thought that was the case...
    I don't see why not, but it's not the mob exp that's the big deal, it's the exp you get for completing the quest.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by grandpab View Post
    I don't see why not, but it's not the mob exp that's the big deal, it's the exp you get for completing the quest.
    Uhm I really thought you got rewarded for helping your friends in it, but I can't say I've tried it to be honest...
    I suppose me and the boyfriend will have to go back and forth between Charr and Asura.

Quote Originally Posted by Kallanna View Post
    Uhm I really thought you got rewarded for helping your friends in it, but I can't say I've tried it to be honest...
    I suppose me and the boyfriend will have to go back and forth between Charr and Asura.
    Hmm idk, I didn't try that either so I can't say.

Quote Originally Posted by grandpab View Post
    Hmm idk, I didn't try that either so I can't say.
    You'll share mob xp. The quest completion xp only goes to the person whose story it is.

EDIT: Been playing with friends through all BWEs, helped with a lot of personal story quests. I'm sure.
    Why do I run? Why do I slay? Why do I play? ...Carrots? Nay.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by fishious View Post
    You'll share mob xp. The quest completion xp only goes to the person whose story it is.

EDIT: Been playing with friends through all BWEs, helped with a lot of personal story quests. I'm sure.
    Thank you for that, I really really didn't know!

Deleted
    Guess I may have this problem, wanting to go Asura but I'd like to level up in the Charr zones with 2 of my friends who're going Charr. Since I'm the only Asura (and they really dont want to level in the Asura zones), I might have to skip personal story for a while.

Do you know if personal story experience scales? Like if I go back at level 15, they might be level 17, will catching up on all the story I missed put me up to 17?

10+ Year Old Account
    I was a Norn and my friend was an Asura and we simply followed eachother through both storylines (As far as we played anyways). We were on pretty even footing through most of it, but I have no idea if it's a good way of doing it.

When you help a friend in his personal story you gain Kharma ;-)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanktas View Post
    Hi.

So my and my friend wanna level together from start to finish. We tried the last beta event and we both agreed on that the sylvari starting area looked coolest and was funniest.

We want to level our toons there.

However i'm wanting to play a Warrior, but i do not think that the sylvari looks "good" as warriors. I'd much more prefer to play either norn or charr as a warrior. But if i do pick Norn or charr and then start levling in the Sylvari area then i will miss my personal story. (I know it will be there for later)

So what am i really missing? Some bonus xp and some gearpieces while levling.
    BUT
    I can go back, since i'll be scaled down i can't just ROFLSTOMP everything when i decide to do my personal story so it's all good still.

I'm just wondering how big of a deal is it? How much will i be gimped or how much slower will it take in general if i don't play the personal story in the start?
    You and your friend can do each others personal story together at certain level marks, to ensure you both get it done and stay even.

a personal story quest takes what? 10mins max? just do them both together. His than yours.

Hmm, if I'm levelling with several friends I guess there are three choices really.

We could roll the same race and background and have everyone gain completion from doing the story together.
    We could do separate stories for everyone, but play through them together. That would take more time and require quite a lot of hopping back and forth.
    We could let everybody do their story on their own, either between sessions or at times when everybody goes to do whatever story quests they can for 20 minutes.

I'd like to hear the thoughts of other people who will be levelling with a group on this. What are your plans? Roleplaying-wise I figure that you can make any of the three versions work, so I'm not worried about that aspect.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hjalmtyr View Post
    Guess I may have this problem, wanting to go Asura but I'd like to level up in the Charr zones with 2 of my friends who're going Charr. Since I'm the only Asura (and they really dont want to level in the Asura zones), I might have to skip personal story for a while.

Do you know if personal story experience scales? Like if I go back at level 15, they might be level 17, will catching up on all the story I missed put me up to 17?
    Personal story scales down. So if you got to level 20 but the personal story is only level 2 you will be downscaled.

Quote Originally Posted by Hjalmtyr View Post

If their personal story is the reason that they got that lead, then yeah, you should catch them. This is assuming each races PS grants relatively equal experience though. Don't forget that they will probably be doing hearts or DEs while you catch up, giving them a lead.

OT: You could just get your friend to hold off on his PS until a certain level, or you both could just skip it altogether like I'd do. If your friend doesn't plan to craft, you can save your materials, and maybe his, and use that as a boost to catch him.