Deleted
    Ofc it is fine for you to stack mastery. If you do not feel like you can keep up with your rotation with more haste, then getting more haste would just be wasted. Gear however you feel comfortable. If that is by getting 15% haste and then mastery, then go for it.

Hey there, long time reader but haven't felt the need to post until my guild had me mainswitch to prot.

I definitely have some problem pieces, and some indecision on gemming, any advice would be appreciated.

Can't link yet, sorry!
    us.battle.net/wow/en/character/tichondrius/Lisey/advanced

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DPA View Post
    I was thinking, going haste build, I shouldn't go for tier items should I? Since they all suck. Who uses that heal on themselves anyways?
    Or am I perhaps wrong here and should start working out how I could infact use that t15 2set bonus? The 4set bonus looks ok tho.

Are they worth going for, or should I just get all the other gear with very nice stats on them for raiding?
    I decided to avoid tier gear at all. Just grabbed ret chest because it obviously has amazing stats. Using haste/mastery crafted helmet, haste/mastery TF shoulders that are on shared loot table, haste/exp TF pants from Durumu and haste/hit gloves from Primordius. Good thing about those items is that everyone else goes for tier, you can easily take those pieces without hurting your dps fellows. At least that's what happened in our 25man. And we're bit heavy on melee side (have a total of 3 dps dks, 3 dps warriors and 2 rets in the raid who are rotating for the spots, no more than a total of 6 present a time), yet I grabbed all those on their first drops.

Quote Originally Posted by Lisey View Post
    Hey there, long time reader but haven't felt the need to post until my guild had me mainswitch to prot.

I definitely have some problem pieces, and some indecision on gemming, any advice would be appreciated.

Can't link yet, sorry!
    us.battle.net/wow/en/character/tichondrius/Lisey/advanced
    Wouldn't say you're doing too badly, only points I'd make are, you need to choose either Stamina or Haste, don't hybrid gem everything, I see that <Slack> are a 25m, so you might want to consider stacking Stam gems till you're up to a better ilvl and/or have some Stam trinkets to swap in for fights that need them.

Also your trinkets are pretty dire, neither of them are really desirable, and since you're scraping very close to the Expertise cap (which btw, you might want to consider dropping to the soft cap till you've got a bit more to work with) I'd recommend you pick-up a Ghost Iron Dragonling, as for which trinket to have it replace, that's mostly up to you, I'd personally replace the Darkmist to keep the passive Mastery/Expertise, but an argument can be made for either.

Also if you sort your gemming out, you can use the Reds for pure Expertise which should help you out a bit, same for some of the the crappy bonus ones.

Can see you've done your homework anyway, and made the best of what you had, so just keep going
    Last edited by Xs; 2013-04-10 at 09:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by celinamuna View Post
    Well i wouldn't say that secondary stats are really secondary. Currently of all the gloves it seems like that the best alternative (for 522ilvl) after the ones off primordius are the valor int ones, simply because of that haste/mastery.
    What about the Haste/Expertise gloves from Oondasta?

Quote Originally Posted by Xs View Post
    Wouldn't say you're doing too badly, only points I'd make are, you need to choose either Stamina or Haste, don't hybrid gem everything, I see that <Slack> are a 25m, so you might want to consider stacking Stam gems till you're up to a better ilvl and/or have some Stam trinkets to swap in for fights that need them.

Also your trinkets are pretty dire, neither of them are really desirable, and since you're scraping very close to the Expertise cap (which btw, you might want to consider dropping to the soft cap till you've got a bit more to work with) I'd recommend you pick-up a Ghost Iron Dragonling, as for which trinket to have it replace, that's mostly up to you, I'd personally replace the Darkmist to keep the passive Mastery/Expertise, but an argument can be made for either.

Also if you sort your gemming out, you can use the Reds for pure Expertise which should help you out a bit, same for some of the the crappy bonus ones.

Can see you've done your homework anyway, and made the best of what you had, so just keep going
    Thanks for the checkup! Slack is actually 10 man, so I thought the haste/stam gems were the best of both worlds until my gear is less garbage. One question about trinkets... I have enough valor to buy the exp shado-pan one (or the old stam valor), would either/both of those be a good immediate choice for me? Could solve my stam and expertise problems pretty quickly.

I say get the stamina one first, others would say get the other...over-all I dislike putting hit and expertise on trinket slots. It makes swapping trinkets based on the boss fight a pain in the ass if you want to keep your caps (which, if you are contemplating a trinket with 1600 expertise, is probably a priority for you).

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    I say get the stamina one first, others would say get the other...over-all I dislike putting hit and expertise on trinket slots. It makes swapping trinkets based on the boss fight a pain in the ass if you want to keep your caps (which, if you are contemplating a trinket with 1600 expertise, is probably a priority for you).
    Not that important with expertise at least, you can quite easily drop some for the odd fight without really noticing

Deleted
    Still gearing my tanking offspec.
    I know it's kind of a dick move but i thought about queueing as dps to get the haste items from T14 LFR since none of the tanking pieces have haste on them. I already have an Elegion normal and Steelskin normal so no need for tanking weapons. I thought since it's LFR nobody might notice it anyway but i'm kind of fighting with myself about doing this. :/

Quote Originally Posted by Haxx0rcist View Post
    Still gearing my tanking offspec.
    I know it's kind of a dick move but i thought about queueing as dps to get the haste items from T14 LFR since none of the tanking pieces have haste on them. I already have an Elegion normal and Steelskin normal so no need for tanking weapons. I thought since it's LFR nobody might notice it anyway but i'm kind of fighting with myself about doing this. :/
    It's not a dick move, because you can't accomplish this dickishly.

You have to be actually be in ret spec for the boss kill / coin roll to award ret-flagged gear.

What you queued as has no bearing on what set of loot you are eligible for, it's entirely based on what spec you are in when the looting event happens.

Deleted
    Oh okay, i thought it just checked my role. Well okay back to respeccing then.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Haxx0rcist View Post
    Oh okay, i thought it just checked my role. Well okay back to respeccing then.
    It's not like you'll be taking loot from someone else as it no longer works that way with rolling. All that'll happen is you'll be another dps and another aspiring young tank will get the chance at the loot he wants. Win win. You're not depriving anyone of anything by going in as a different role
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nicus/advanced
    Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    Also a vegetable is a person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

Quote Originally Posted by Lisey View Post
    Thanks for the checkup! Slack is actually 10 man, so I thought the haste/stam gems were the best of both worlds until my gear is less garbage. One question about trinkets... I have enough valor to buy the exp shado-pan one (or the old stam valor), would either/both of those be a good immediate choice for me? Could solve my stam and expertise problems pretty quickly.
    Sorry about that, I did a quick google and the Slack I found had one mention of 25 man, in that case I'd strongly recommend you avoid Stamina and just keep a set of trinkets on the back burner

Deleted
    If you like me are terrible at playing ret since you did not bother to learn the spec sine WotLK, what I found in LFR is that is better to do 0 damage at all, and just sit afk the entire raid, since people won't notice that you are low on recount that way. If you slack some and do low dps you can get kicked if you wipe, but if you do 0 dps they wont notice you and let you get your loot.

I used to do this earlier in T14, but my dps is actually okay now, so now I just do my best even though I feel so bad being in the middle of the pack in LFR

On epeen boost, yay, farm night! Another rank 1, and that will be my last raid for 5-6 weeks now. I will probably slack on paladin forums aswell, as in probably barely post at all, since I a going away on a trip. So I will be very inactive here. So I trust you all to ghost iron dragonling on! and be righteous fighters!

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly33 View Post
    If you like me are terrible at playing ret since you did not bother to learn the spec sine WotLK, what I found in LFR is that is better to do 0 damage at all, and just sit afk the entire raid, since people won't notice that you are low on recount that way. If you slack some and do low dps you can get kicked if you wipe, but if you do 0 dps they wont notice you and let you get your loot.

I used to do this earlier in T14, but my dps is actually okay now, so now I just do my best even though I feel so bad being in the middle of the pack in LFR

On epeen boost, yay, farm night! Another rank 1, and that will be my last raid for 5-6 weeks now. I will probably slack on paladin forums aswell, as in probably barely post at all, since I a going away on a trip. So I will be very inactive here. So I trust you all to ghost iron dragonling on! and be righteous fighters!
    Tbh prot gear with haste build (i know you're using haste build) + clcret = top 5 dps in lfr.

Long time lurker here, didn't see any recent posts about the Legendary Meta Gems so I thought I'd sign up finally.

Got mine earlier today, and I picked the Crit + Proc one instead of the tanking one and it's amazing.

Don't think I can post links, but you can look at WOL Untold Prophecy Zul'jin US and see it, made a lot of mistakes and whatnot, but it's cool to look at the damage it can do.

It ended up being my 4th highest damaging ability for the night (Sotr/AS/Judge/Proc/Melee in that order)
    Overal Damage:
    Lightning Strike 98,499,032 10.9 % of total damage done over 3 hours

455 Hits 175,108.1 Average hit 7,9674,173 Total Hit damage
    47 Crits 320,719.3 Average crit 15,073,807 Total crit damage
    30 Blocks 125,035.1 Average blocked 3,751,052 Total blocked damage
    Last edited by YataZuljin; 2013-04-11 at 02:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by YataZuljin View Post
    Long time lurker here, didn't see any recent posts about the Legendary Meta Gems so I thought I'd sign up finally.

Got mine earlier today, and I picked the Crit + Proc one instead of the tanking one and it's amazing.

Don't think I can post links, but you can look at WOL Untold Prophecy Zul'jin US and see it, made a lot of mistakes and whatnot, but it's cool to look at the damage it can do.

It ended up being my 4th highest damaging ability for the night (Sotr/AS/Judge/Proc/Melee in that order)
    Overal Damage:
    Lightning Strike 98,499,032 10.9 % of total damage done over 3 hours

455 Hits 175,108.1 Average hit 7,9674,173 Total Hit damage
    47 Crits 320,719.3 Average crit 15,073,807 Total crit damage
    30 Blocks 125,035.1 Average blocked 3,751,052 Total blocked damage
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...yze/dd/source/ is the log.

Now while the extra dps is nice (and basically the logic behind haste build), i feel like it's sort of "ehh" when compared to the tanking one, simple because the tanking one looks fairly nice. (Now if the proc was 30% haste like it is for the casters would've been a while another story).

Deleted
    Tbh prot gear with haste build (i know you're using haste build) + clcret = top 5 dps in lfr.
    Well, I just do not enjoy ret rotation, I find it boring as hell, and has no intention at all to play it. If I want to dps, I play another class, simply as that. + still have a blue weapon + no head with gem enchant . And not like trying hard, but can often be top 10 atleast now, sometimes better. But yeah, retri is not my deal, no pretending it is either.

@Yata A bit off topic to what you wrote. But when I saw your name, I was like "OH.... MY.... GOD... YATA???, but then I noticed to played US"

Looking at that jinrokh kill, it was a about 15k dps increase, and to be honest, that is not bad at all. I am still a bit torn about the dps vs tanking meta gem. I really wanna see how the uptime on the tank one is in practice. Anyone got logs to someone using tank one.
    For Horridon (checking the longer tries) it did about 20k dps.
    It scalse fairly well with vengeance I believe as well. (As in you can expect it to be 10%~ of your damage regardless of your vengeance levels.

---------- Post added 2013-04-11 at 08:04 AM ----------

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...yze/dd/source/ is the log.

Now while the extra dps is nice (and basically the logic behind haste build), i feel like it's sort of "ehh" when compared to the tanking one, simple because the tanking one looks fairly nice. (Now if the proc was 30% haste like it is for the casters would've been a while another story).
    The thing I get with the tanking one, is kinda the improved version of dodge/parry. You simply can not guarantee its uptime, or control its procs in any way. I can survive without the meta gem, why do I need it? Unless it got like 70-80% uptime, I will probably not use it.

Its good, but not that good as nothing stops it from being down when I actually need it.
    Last edited by mmoc4d8e5d065a; 2013-04-11 at 08:02 AM.

[url]Now while the extra dps is nice (and basically the logic behind haste build)
    That is not the main intention of the control/haste gearing strategy whatsoever, it's just a nice side-effect. Control/haste has positive aspects in terms of mitigation of burst scenarios that is appealing in and of itself.

Deleted
    Mitigating burst scenarios? What? :P Haste provides no further protection at all in shorter bursts. It is over the course of a longer fight that you will see higher uptime. But for me, a burst scenario is something like Sha swipe, durumu stare, lei shen decap etc. And haste provides 0 additional protetion as SotR absorbs as much with 0 or 10000 haste. Mastery or stamina however, provides better protection for burst scenarios.

But maybe we have different definitions of burst scenarios.

Or well, think I understand now. Think I misunderstood first. You are referring to the theck damage bursts a.k.a. boss melee hits.
    For me burst scenarios mean "Oh shit, boss is gonna do a ton amount of damage in a short period of time"

Yeah... for me in terms of survivability, haste is like the Prot T15 2p.

In my opinion the main advantage of haste is the dps, the rest is just a nice side benefit. As the dps is the only advantage the haste got over the other stats, it falls behind in the other departments. Its like, haste = dps + survivability mastery/stamina = no dps and more survivability.
    So saying that survivability is the main part of haste feels wrong, when the other stats provide more. It is dps that haste provides that the others does not.

That said, haste is a well rounded stat. If bosses were as fairytale as they were in tanking simulations and we used 1 tank, and bosses melee hitted for the exact same amount through out the entire fight, never using any abilities, getting a damage buff or spawning adds, then haste would be our best survivability stat, sadly this isnt the case on 100% of the boss fights.

I think it is hard to deny that the dps is the logic behind the haste build. Since that is what is unique about it. As said, feels like the Prot 2p. The added mitigation for me is just. "You geared for dps great, here have a bone and it is not useless in defensive abilities aswell"