Quote Originally Posted by Nillo View Post
    Can triple puncture even crit?
    TP was just used as an example of a big damage spell, but I have no idea if it can crit haha.

Macroing /sit isn't a huge issue depending on which spells you choose to keybind. I had an MX518 and found that I had enough keybinds for all my important spells, but recently switched over to an MMO mouse (with like 15 buttons on the side) just so I could have some spare buttons for those random spells/macros/etc.

Wat?
    What kind of macro are you talking about anyway? because I can't figure out what you're talking about
    Just /sit.

My point being that you're not suppose to think of it as part of rotation (unless you're really overgearing stuff).
    Think of it as an inverse cooldown : You know you're not going to be taking too much damage for the next 10 sec, start using it --> dmg after those 10 sec becomes serious --> stop using it.

Quote Originally Posted by celinamuna View Post
    Just /sit.
    There's a keybind for that .... °_°

I'm asking how people manage to sit without a negative impact on their rotation and you tell me to keybind it?!

If you're planning to cheese meters by /sitting, you can't keep up your normal rotation 100% of the time. It usually goes something like this:

Normal rotation > Incoming big damage spell > Stop rotation > /sit > Get a lot of Vengeance > go back to normal rotation > Profit

Quote Originally Posted by paulleedot View Post
    If you're planning to cheese meters by /sitting, you can't keep up your normal rotation 100% of the time. It usually goes something like this:

Normal rotation > Incoming big damage spell > Stop rotation > /sit > Get a lot of Vengeance > go back to normal rotation > Profit
    Presumably you would want to hit ShoR before sitting down to make sure the crit doesn't kill you?

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    Presumably you would want to hit ShoR before sitting down to make sure the crit doesn't kill you?
    Yes, I lumped that into "Normal Rotation", but it's probably important to call that out.

Wait, what?

When y'all said that "sit tanking" i always read it figuratively, like on standing on poodles and such to get higher vengance. Now its you _literally_ /sit to get more vengance?

Why does being sit generates more vengance? Last time i checked vengance depended on unmitigated damage taken over time. Being sit increases that?

Also, i read in between lines that you always get critted while sit?

Confused panda.

Yes sitting downs means you always get crit => since the base hit is twice as high you get double vengeance from that hit.

Still don't feel like it's worth the trouble since when you can do it the boss likely doesn't hit all that hard anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, you will always get critted when you sit. Has been around in like forever.

I have to admit, albeit I'm tanking for 3 Addons now - I'm still not comfortable with using something like sit. I mean - I try to avoid damage like the plague. It's just n instinct reaction I guess.

Don't get me wrong - I love the current meta game. I love topping meters on heroic progression fights and I love that every DD hates me for it. But still, I can't bring myself to use stuff like that. I guess it's only really useful while doing farmcontent to top some meters or push some personal dps record?

Or is anyone who has not currently defeated like 11 heroics in ToT yet, actively using stuff like sit to squeeze out more damage on progression fights?

I usually have so much stuff going on, especially with all those single-tank fights or fights where you actually have to do shit as a tank, that I can't seem to fit this in. Or maybe it's just that I'm not good enough, I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Riemu2k3 View Post
    Or is anyone who has not currently defeated like 11 heroics in ToT yet, actively using stuff like sit to squeeze out more damage on progression fights?
    I tried to take as much damage as possible after the first dog's death on Iron Qon heroic progression as this was necessary to avoid a second windstorm.

I purely adore sitting, but then again I roll out as Blood so I can just taunt and immediately /sit and no one will notice or care that a larger than normal chunk of my Blood Shield will be eaten up.

Sitting is really just like taking two melee hits at once, in terms of damage taken. If you're constantly 2 hits from death then you're taking so much damage that sitting won't accomplish anything but death. Just start weaving in sits after taunts, preferably with ShoR up and maybe some kind of bubble if you're really scared. As you get used to it and learn your damage intake you'll find when it's safe to do so.

Additionally, if you feel sure that you won't need Guardian for a while (1st head on Megaera?) then you can pop that and spam sit for the duration. Damage taken unchanged, dps through the roof.

How do people do that sit thing anyway?
    I tried it a few times and found pressing sit while keeping up the regular rotation was a pain in the ass.
    Play better.
    I'm not sure what you mean to be honest, it's not all that difficult to slap an additional button a few times as you do the rest of your rotation.

I left it bound to X and whenever I start spam sitting my hand kind of "dances" more than normal. I sort of double the "tempo" of my rotation, and every other "beat" I just slap X.
    Rather than leaving mid finger on W and ring finger on A when I go to index finger R, I kind of remove all of my fingers from the keyboard and have multiple going at once. Middle to X during the GCD, index to R, ring finger and the rest just kind of floating.
    Last edited by Kiqjaq; 2013-05-31 at 11:59 AM.

Yeah, I'm totally going to do that, my ShoR expires a fraction of a second too early and then I get to explain to my raid that I died because I let the boss crit me so I get more vengeance. That's totally going to go over well.

Deleted
    Sitting just feels wrong though. The whole thing just have a bad feeling behind it. Like you are doing something naughty.

It's a cheesy mechanic that people sometimes use to pad meters and rankings. I don't think it's necessary for progression (especially since most fights aren't races against Enrage), but I suppose it's something you can do for fun during farm bosses.

I usually just one-tank (applicable) bosses during progression because it allows me to see some ridiculous numbers and our DK tank gets to DPS. It's a win-win.

Make a mistake on the "farm" content by sitting down at the wrong time and you waste more time that you would save from 20 boss fights with sitting down, because you'd wipe and waste up to 10 minutes of the raid time.

If that is what it takes to rank, I'm not interested in ranking. Single-tanking? I'll do that. Sitting down and let myself be critted? No.
    Last edited by Butler to Baby Sloths; 2013-05-31 at 03:53 PM.

Yeah, I'm totally going to do that, my ShoR expires a fraction of a second too early and then I get to explain to my raid that I died because I let the boss crit me so I get more vengeance. That's totally going to go over well.
    You don't track your ShoR? o.O

Quote Originally Posted by Kiqjaq View Post
    You don't track your ShoR? o.O
    Yes, I do. That doesn't stop the boss doing something that interrupts its swing timer, pushing the next swing back by 1.5-2 seconds.

Ranking is a pointless exercise in doing the fight wrong just to get a bit more scumbag dps. Letting myself be critted just seems wrong. So I won't do it.

Yes, I do. That doesn't stop the boss doing something that interrupts its swing timer, pushing the next swing back by 1.5-2 seconds.

Ranking is a pointless exercise in doing the fight wrong just to get a bit more scumbag dps. Letting myself be critted just seems wrong. So I won't do it.
    Let me just point out that doing virtually anything will make you stop sitting, and stand up. Moving, attacking, etc.
    You never go 1.5-2 seconds without casting anything, and in fact quite frequently I find that a single /sit will miss the boss swing entirely by the time I cast a new spell and stand up (thus I have to spam the button until a crit swing lands). If you cast ShoR and sit and then change your mind, just move around or jump and the crit vulnerability will immediately be canceled.

Pushing more dps is not just for ranking though... more dps is always valuable. Whether it's worth taking more damage is down to a judgement call; it's simply another tool at your disposal and you'd be a fool to totally relinquish it based on "feels".

Deleted
    Pushing more dps is not just for ranking though... more dps is always valuable. Whether it's worth taking more damage is down to a judgement call; it's simply another tool at your disposal and you'd be a fool to totally relinquish it based on "feels".
    Have to agree with this. Simply going into the fight to take as much damage as you can survive and do the most DPS you can isn't going to get you far. Each tank should engage their brain and think about how to maximize their contributions on a fight-by-fight basis without crippling their raid.

My favourite place to "stand in fire" in solo tanking heroic Iron Qon during the fire dog. I know I can get away with it here without putting the raid in trouble. I don't think I would stretch my thirst for vengeance to sitting down though! Perhaps a couple of the easier heroics, like when tanking Jin'rokh in the water. He barely hits for anything!

Quote Originally Posted by Kiqjaq View Post
    This 1000x, theres a huge amount of overhealing that goes through Discs/RDruids/Holydins to the tanks, if you have the ability to take advantage of that at key points for more raid DPS you should at every opportunity.

You can also think of it (as stupid as it sounds) as a mitigation ability, as its going to increase your vengeance and by proxy your self healing/absorbing, so in the parts of the fight where you need every bit you can get, you'll have far more.