Page 1 of 11
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Russians offer immortality to billionaires.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...ot-bodies.html

A Russian entrepreneur who heads a hi-tech research project called 'Avatar' has contacted billionaires to offer them immortality.

Itskov claims he will personally oversee their immortality process, in exchange for an undisclosed fee.

Itskov, a media entrepreneur, claims to have hired 30 scientists to reach this goal - and aims to transplant a human brain into a robot body within 10 years.

'You have the ability to finance the extension of your own life up to immortality. Our civilization has come very close to the creation of such technologies: it's not a science fiction fantasy. It is in your power to make sure that this goal will be achieved in your lifetime,' says Itskov in a letter delivered to billionaires listed in Forbes magazine.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...#ixzz216gmv5Xu

I sense a Scam, I wonder how many "billionaires" will do this.
    -K

Guess we'll need to find a billionaire and ask him.
    Avatar B sounds like 'Ghost in the Shell' :P

10+ Year Old Account
    scam as it may be, the transhumanist in me says we ought to be exploring this concept.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    scam as it may be, the transhumanist in me says we ought to be exploring this concept.
    Yes, it is surely interesting maybe Russians are onto something! :O

Il be probably 90 (another 72 years If I lived that long) when Mind Uploading will be good enough for me to live "forever" ^^
    -K

Deleted
    You do know that such a thing is actually possible in the future yes?
    I hope this isn't a scam and that it is actually possible in this short time span.

Deleted
    I sense russians are involved only because there are still so many stereotypes in people's heads about that nation. So only difficult to disprove information fits perfectly in that context.

10+ Year Old Account
    gonna suck for everyone in the past if this is ever invented....even if it's in thousands of years..just think if everyone starting from a set point is persevered forever it basically means everyone's life up to then is a wasted life :S

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ThargixEchoes View Post
    You do know that such a thing is actually possible in the future yes?
    I hope this isn't a scam and that it is actually possible in this short time span.
    In the future yes possibly, now not so. You can't tell what is possible in future when it is, well the future.

http://www.futuretimeline.net/search...1550j489292j10
    -K

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    If they can show that a rat's brain can be transplanted into an operating robotic body then I would put my money in. But that has not happened yet so anyone putting money into this would be risking it at the very least.

Oh and "mind uploading" is already feasible. The cost for one brain would be in the billions currently so no market yet. Give it a decade. But will the soul go with it? I would rather have a brain transplant into a exact human copy of my body. Or at least a part cyborg part human body. I think the money should be put into full brain transplant into grown bodies. Uploading a mind sounds a little risky in terms of who or what will come out the other end of the operation.
    Last edited by Yoyodyne; 2012-07-19 at 09:53 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    this is definitely possible eventually, but needs to be enacted carefully because otherwise we are just going to have an even larger population problem.

10+ Year Old Account
    This doesn't sound legitimate...yet, but it's obvious that the only people who will have access to immortality would be the rich. A gross thought when you think about how this will affect our evolution.

Deleted
    Is it just me or do all the diffrent avatars seems to come from diffrent movies/series?

Avatar B is from Ghost in the Shell and Doctor Who (Cybermen)
    Avatar C is from Portal 2 and one episode of the G1 transformers (i guess there are others but those are the only 2 that i can think of atm )

Still a interesting subject and should be researched more tbh.

Deleted
    Until our dreams can be recorded i do not see this happen. And nothing is even near that.

Wow, thirty whole scientists?! Sure sounds legit!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirse View Post
    This doesn't sound legitimate...yet, but it's obvious that the only people who will have access to immortality would be the rich. A gross thought when you think about how this will affect our evolution.
    At start most likely the ones who have contacts or some sort of status above the ordinary citizens (this includes the "Rich") but eventually it will be accessible to everyone, maybe 10-20 or even 30 years down the road. Assuming in future we have Monetary system, I believe that eventually we will move away from the Monetary system we know now. But that is a different topic.
    -K

Quote Originally Posted by Hextor View Post
    Guess we'll need to find a billionaire and ask him.
    Avatar B sounds like 'Ghost in the Shell' :P
    If you are referring to the heroin, she would be an avatar C (fully robotic)

Deleted
    Russians have invented alot of good stuff.For example the pill which you give dead and you can have conversation with him/her for another hour after he/she dies.It got only problem...he/she won't answer you

OT: I am pretty sure it is possible but not with our technology.Maybe in next 50-100 years.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruthless View Post
    Until our dreams can be recorded i do not see this happen. And nothing is even near that.
    Well we are on the way there.

http://gizmodo.com/5843117/scientist...brain-activity
    http://www.popsci.com/science/articl...-record-dreams
    -K

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruthless View Post
    They are already recording dreams. It's in early stages but it's being done right now. I suggest everyone keep up to speed on current tech by watching discover science channel, or try ARStechica and Wired.

Heh. Well, I immediately see a problem with the underlying concept. Sorry, folks, but the brain ages, too. People don't grow senile because they have liver spots.... or do they?