Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Gen1 is nostalgic, but that's about it. Gen5 trumps it all the way in gameplay. So White version for me.

Generation 2. I enjoyed Gold and Silver a lot more than R/B/Y, and haven't enjoyed the games as much since then (granted, I stopped after Diamond and Pearl came out). I might pick up Soul Silver some day when I have the extra cash lying around.

Pokemon Crystal
    Pokemon Red
    Pokemon Ruby

Quote Originally Posted by wynnyelle View Post
    Generation 2. I enjoyed Gold and Silver a lot more than R/B/Y, and haven't enjoyed the games as much since then (granted, I stopped after Diamond and Pearl came out). I might pick up Soul Silver some day when I have the extra cash lying around.
    That's how I felt after playing Diamond/Pearl, I really didn't like them much and thought I was growing out of the series, then I got White Version and my Pokelove was restored.

Deleted
    Favourite game was gold.

Im not one of those people who goes by judging a generation as a whole, I look at the individual pokemon, and there have been ones in each generation that I have felt were epic and each generation has had ones that felt very uninsipred.

Deleted
    Red, Blue and Yellow.

No contest.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd have to say ruby/sapphire version. It provided the most substantial game play advance over it's previous generation. Global weather, diving, secret bases, contests, the regi secrets, and a story that wasn't just about Team Rocket.

After that, it would probably have to be Silver version, followed by White version, followed by red version.

My problem with some generation five Pokemon isn't that their initial designs are "poorly based," it's that... well, many of them seem like unnecessary remakes. I get that gamefreak was attempting to originally include only new pokemon in gen 5, but really...

I mean, some are okay. Gigalith may be in the same spirit as Golem, but at least it looks cool. Same with Conkeldurr and Machamp. But then, there are some... like woobat. Did we need another zubat? Frillish? Did we need another tentacool?
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

15+ Year Old Account
    Silver followed by Yellow followed by White. I REALLY wish they would make every generation past Gen 2 like Silver/Gold, where you can go back to other regions and challenge their gym leaders and such. It makes perfect sense to me, and really adds a boatload of content to boot.

I think when I beat Silver for the first time, my team was around the mid to high 70's. Every other game before or after I rarely have a member of my team higher than 70. When the levels get that high, while it may not seem like such a major gap, it really does show the extra amount of time investment you're having to put into the game to complete it.
    Fenixdown (retail) : level 60 priest. 2005-2015, 2022-???? (returned!)
    Fenixdown (classic) : level 70 priest. 2019 - present

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    I'd have to say ruby/sapphire version. It provided the most substantial game play advance over it's previous generation. Global weather, diving, secret bases, contests, the regi secrets, and a story that wasn't just about Team Rocket.

After that, it would probably have to be Silver version, followed by White version, followed by red version.

My problem with some generation five Pokemon isn't that their initial designs are "poorly based," it's that... well, many of them seem like unnecessary remakes. I get that gamefreak was attempting to originally include only new pokemon in gen 5, but really...

I mean, some are okay. Gigalith may be in the same spirit as Golem, but at least it looks cool. Same with Conkeldurr and Machamp. But then, there are some... like woobat. Did we need another zubat? Frillish? Did we need another tentacool?
    Woobat is psy/flying, zubat is poi/flying, frilish is ghost/wat and tentacool is poi/water... Where as Gigalith is the exact same typing as Golem and Conkeldurr is the exact same typing as Machamp. So different typings suggest that yeah, we needed more.
    Last edited by Venziir; 2012-07-29 at 09:19 PM.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

I enjoyed Pokemon Gold the most, I also had Red and Yellow and later I had Diamond on launch, though my brothers kids broke my DS so I didnt really get to play it much, but didn't get into it much as I did with the earlier games.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    Woobat is psy/flying, zubat is poi/flying, frilish is ghost/wat and tentacool is poi/water... Where as Gigalith is the exact same typing as Golem and Conkeldurr is the exact same typing as Machamp. So different typings suggest that yeah, we needed more.
    I know they're different types, and Gigalith is pure rock while golem is rock/ground. The point is that pokemon like Woobat and Frilish are basically the exact same filler pokemon, based on the exact same things. This also happens with Trubbish and Garbodor. Animated pollution? Where have we seen that before?

So in short, I'm not accusing gamefreak of poor design because Woobat is based on a bat, or because Garbodor is based on living sludge, or because Frillish is based on a generic tentacled water creature. I'm saying they're poorly designed because they already HAD all of those things in basically the same iteration.
    Last edited by Kaleredar; 2012-07-29 at 10:40 PM.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Pokemon Gold.
    It was AMAZING to be able to go back to the original gyms and re-fight the trainers that you beat in Red and Blue. I wish Black and White would do that. I would love to have like 40 badges or something crazy like that. Travel around the several different regions rather than just the 8 badges in one region.
    Last edited by Tumpys; 2012-07-29 at 10:46 PM.

Gold/silver orginal/remake
    yellow

Why no yellow remake?

I loved johto because after you were done you went to kanto, I was hoping they would do that with gen 3 but that was a big disapoint. Now it just seems like they are trying to get new flavors of pokemon. They are running out of ideas I mean.... vanillice? Really...

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    They are running out of ideas I mean.... vanillice? Really...
    Muk... really? Voltorb... really?

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    They are running out of ideas I mean.... vanillice? Really...
    Boy, Ditto and Voltorb sure were clever.

Pokemon Red!
    Pokemon battles on the school bus as a kid was my favorite pastime.

Quote Originally Posted by Digglett View Post
    That's how I felt after playing Diamond/Pearl, I really didn't like them much and thought I was growing out of the series, then I got White Version and my Pokelove was restored.
    That's kind of reassuring. I was thinking about giving Black/White a try, but just hadn't acted upon it yet. Maybe instead of Soul Silver I'll grab Black or White and try something new.

Quote Originally Posted by wynnyelle View Post
    That's kind of reassuring. I was thinking about giving Black/White a try, but just hadn't acted upon it yet. Maybe instead of Soul Silver I'll grab Black or White and try something new.
    Soul Silver might be a safer place to start, in terms of gameplay though, I thought B/W was slightly better than SS/HG, only because the grind felt lessened. Don't know if it was just me.

Quote Originally Posted by Digglett View Post
    Don't know if it was just me.
    Nah, it wasn't. HG/SS has a more rewarding endgame since you explore Kanto and ideally your team should be in the 80s for when you beat Red and actually "finish" the game. However, the only efficient way to actually level eventually is just grinding the pokemon league, since trainers/wild pokemon are so low. B/W has a pretty slow after-game, but leveling up is really easy(and the online play is more rewarding if you're into that, plus it's a whole other generation of pokemon). Skelington got his first two level 100s since Gold version over 10 years ago through Lucky Eggs and the abundance of high level enemies in B/W.
    Last edited by Skelington; 2012-07-30 at 12:51 AM.

Deleted
    B/W easily, and I've played each gen.

Tried my Crystal a while ago and it just felt so plain and boring.