Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Ofcourse that's to be exspected OP. Proffesions now days gives quit a good boost. I dont see a problem in guilds demanding things, even if they aint the best. One should know what kind of guild it is, before you apply.

Just join a lesser progressed guild if you can meet other guilds standards.

Edit: I'll suggest you should invest into shuffel, always good early in exspansions. You could save your mining, and get JC. Then shuffel via AH ores, or farm you're own.
    Last edited by Djuntas; 2012-07-30 at 03:17 PM.

One, lol at the people who are saying "join a lesser guild if it's a problem for you" as if those "lesser guilds" were better or worse than the one the OP is trying to join.

Other things go into this, as well. Such as: what profs does the guild not have much of? Sure, a profession can buff a class, but how many herbalists, BSs, or Alchemists do they have. Do they have all the bases covered, or is there something that they need. Perhaps they need a ready chanter or something. Ask them if they really are in a drought of the professions you currently have. Maybe they can wiggle you in because you can provide mats to them that they currently can't get anywhere else. If you're on a low populated server, this can be a plus to you if you're willing to provide things for a guild, even if you're not as OP as they like you to be. Hell, if they are THAT leet, then it's not just the prof buffs (which to me aren't as important as they used to be) that are getting them to where they are now.
    I hear it's amazing when the famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space, with the tuning fork, does a raw blink on Hari-Kari rock! I need scissors! 61!

Deleted
    Almost all guilds I've actually looked at applying too have asked what your professions are and have mentioned that you may be asked to re-roll them if your leadership team thinks that the bonus for doing so is worth it. I don't personally think that's unreasonable for any guild that wants to progress; some of the bonuses can be compared to having a missing gem or enchant, or even multiple missing gems and enchants, and you probably wouldn't question being told to enchant your gear, so why question being told to get the most from your raiding character from professions.

Obviously this guild doesn't consider themselves to be that casual and do consider the profession bonuses important; if you don't agree with them just find a different one.

Quote Originally Posted by Shamanic View Post
    Almost all guilds I've actually looked at applying too have asked what your professions are and have mentioned that you may be asked to re-roll them if your leadership team thinks that the bonus for doing so is worth it. I don't personally think that's unreasonable for any guild that wants to progress; some of the bonuses can be compared to having a missing gem or enchant, or even multiple missing gems and enchants, and you probably wouldn't question being told to enchant your gear, so why question being told to get the most from your raiding character from professions.

Obviously this guild doesn't consider themselves to be that casual and do consider the profession bonuses important; if you don't agree with them just find a different one.
    Not sure if I can agree completely with it being reasonable. I can see it being their guild and their rules. But as in if I think it's a good rule to have, I'm not sure that it is.

As I've said, I don't consider the prof buffs to be as important as they used to be. Maybe back in Vanilla or BC, they were, but now I don't see them as important as gemming, chanting, and reforging correctly, and having a solid rotation and can do your role solidly. I'm not sure how many guilds actually look at your professions, but I see them as giving you a minor buff (I could be wrong though, so I wouldn't be surprised if someone debated me about that point...as long as they were mature about it) that, in the long run, isn't as important to have. I think it's an absolute dumb requirement to have myself.
    I hear it's amazing when the famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space, with the tuning fork, does a raw blink on Hari-Kari rock! I need scissors! 61!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by darkpower View Post
    Not sure if I can agree completely with it being reasonable. I can see it being their guild and their rules. But as in if I think it's a good rule to have, I'm not sure that it is.

As I've said, I don't consider the prof buffs to be as important as they used to be. Maybe back in Vanilla or BC, they were, but now I don't see them as important as gemming, chanting, and reforging correctly, and having a solid rotation and can do your role solidly. I'm not sure how many guilds actually look at your professions, but I see them as giving you a minor buff (I could be wrong though, so I wouldn't be surprised if someone debated me about that point...as long as they were mature about it) that, in the long run, isn't as important to have. I think it's an absolute dumb requirement to have myself.
    But if you've got say, mining as a buff as a spellcaster, you're missing, say, 80 int you could have gained elsewhere - surely that's the same as missing 2 gems, or missing 2 enchants?

So if it's the type of guild that would refuse for having some missing gems/ enchants, it just seems logical to me they would also expect the person to have a good profession bonus. Most people accept that the majority of raiding guilds require full gems/enchants, I guess I just see a profession with the right bonus being about the same as that myself.

But if you've got say, mining as a buff as a spellcaster, you're missing, say, 80 int you could have gained elsewhere - surely that's the same as missing 2 gems, or missing 2 enchants?

So if it's the type of guild that would refuse for having some missing gems/ enchants, it just seems logical to me they would also expect the person to have a good profession bonus. Most people accept that the majority of raiding guilds require full gems/enchants, I guess I just see a profession with the right bonus being about the same as that myself.
    But I don't see many guild really worrying too much about that, and if many elitist guilds don't bring them up, there must be a good reason behind it. That and having the prof buff isn't as important anymore as filling a prof gap within a guild is. For instance, telling a person that they have to take up mining for a stat bonus isn't as important to me as having an enchanter that we currently don't have that can put mats into the guild bank and, more to the point, provide the guild with much needed enchants. I'd rather go with putting the profession to good use to provide the guild with things they would otherwise have to spend a shitload of gold for in the AH than to provide a useless buff to themselves from a profession that the guild has too much of a surplus in.

EVERY profession has something that can benefit every class in some way, anyway. It's not like there's a profession that a class can take in which the buff is completely worthless to them. For instance, I have herbalism on my Warlock. Haste can provide an additional tick to my dots. However, taking up mining would also be beneficial since, as clothies are not durable by any stretch of the imagination, Stam can also be useful (when is it not), and Skinning is good for any role to both get crit DPS and heals (tanks can use crit, though not to the extent DPS roles can, as a threat generator).

Scribing means you don't have to want to slit your wrists doing the Deepholm quests for the millionth time. Nowadays, profs are used so we don't have to use the AH as much.

Just how I see it, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfzgaming View Post
    Yeah you guys are right, I was talking of a "casual" guild. Thats what the guy told me atleast..
    pretty strange you cant have mining as a warrior in a normal 2 days a week raiding guild lol. (just 3 hc clears on DS)
    Mining is the only profession that gives absolutely no DPS benefit whatsoever. Even Herbalism and Skinning do. If you're a tank, then mining isn't terrible (still not as good as a non-gathering profession, but not as worthless as it is for a DPS toon).

There are a couple of different things going on here, if I'm reading you correctly. On the one hand, any kind of serious progression guild will care about small details like professions, even if they're less significant than normal random variance. It's a minor detail, yes, but it shows that you've done your homework. On the other hand, if a guild that took six months to clear heroic DS is grousing about your professions, then they're acting way above their station and probably aren't worth your time in the first place.

On the gripping hand, some people are just shitty and will take any opportunity they can to belittle others, no matter how pointless or irrelevant it is.
    Last edited by microtonal; 2012-07-30 at 05:51 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's also possible that this guild is trying to become even more serious (as someone above pointed out, 3HC clears isn't really casual) so they're asking recruits to man up. Fair? Well, aside from 'their guild, their rules', I'd check the armory to see if they are following their own rules. IF their current raiders are all min/maxed, then fine. IF not, and you wanted into that guild, I'd ask about it - "Hey, you guys seem to have gathering profs, etc... 'sup?". They can either blow you off, tell you that they're also redoing profs or say that they intend to. But... not a big deal ultimately.

some of the bonuses can be compared to having a missing gem or enchant, or even multiple missing gems and enchants, and you probably wouldn't question being told to enchant your gear, so why question being told to get the most from your raiding character from professions.
    Well put. Though maxing 2 professions takes quite a bit more effort than enchanting and gemming your gear, but still, you are spot on.

Also, maxing your character is a sign of commitment and willingness to put in a minimal amount of effort. I don't think that is an unreasonable thing to expect from guildies.
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfzgaming View Post
    Yo guys,

Last time i signed up to join a guild i was told to roll a different profession because it was "better" for my class
    If i didn't change, i couldn't join the guild lol..

What do you guys think of profession needs to join a pvp/pve guild?
    Honestly, I think this is ridiculous as a first port of call and they were probably trying to put you off.

IF it was a raid group that was taking itself seriously, and they'd given you a trial... and THEN said they would accept you, but you'd need to change proffesions to max out, then sure, theyre progressive and these little things count.

However, from the sounds of it, if they want you to change professions before they're even seeing how you do in Raids or finding out how well you perform and know your class, then it shows a lot about what they consider a "good player" is.

Deleted
    Just roll the profession you like.

The difference is really really tight.

I will NEVER remove my Engeneering. It's just too much fun.

Who cares for 12 dps difference?

I imagine what the OP actually meant was that he got asked to drop a gathering profession for a crafting one (NOT that he swap one crafting profession for another) - which is totally reasonable for any progression focused guild, we expect our members to have 2 crafting professions.

Deleted
    Im guessing they wanted you to have it on the specific char you applied with and not more generally (i.e. you could have it on an alt)?

10+ Year Old Account
    I like to see at least one max level crafting profession on my raiders. I could care less of the benefit they gain from it, but leveling a profession shows me that the player actually wants to play.

I've asked guild members who have asked me to raid why they don't have profession and they have said, " oh other people have that profession so I don't need it."

For a while my main in Wrath was herb/mining, to funnel ore to my JC and help fund the guilds Flasks. I would actively go out and farm herbs and ore. So I can respect someone who wants to raid and has two gathering professions. I will sure as hell ask them what their reasoning behind it is, and if the answer is, "oh they were easy," the person will probably not be brought to my raids.

I don't accept apps from players without professions, no way, no how. Players without maxxed professions aren't serious.

Now, I recommend they have GOOD professions to raid with, but we don't enforce that. If someone wants to be herb/mining that's fine, though we'll normally get them to switch to something better eventually.

Deleted
    The long and the short of it are that the more serious the guild is the more likely they are to demand 2 crafting professions.
    You've just got to work out where on the scale you are and find a suitable guild.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm with most of the previous posters, it seems odd that a non-progression guild would even care about your professions. Oddly enough, I maxed both enchanting and engineering on my main and not only do I not raid, I don't even run dungeons anymore.

10+ Year Old Account
    unless you're racing for world 1st or smth it shouldnt matter tbh, and for sure not with the current state of ds ^^

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluesftw View Post
    unless you're racing for world 1st or smth it shouldnt matter tbh, and for sure not with the current state of ds ^^
    Agree completely

I can somewhat understand people saying it shows dedication even if it still is a bit sketchy in my opinion but honestly, the 80 stat points you're missing is not going to matter unless you're raiding on Paragon like level

At this point in an expansion it's downright ridiculous to demand you switch professions considering the massive nerfs to DS

When you apply to a guild for raiding (and a guild that clears current heroic content is not social/casual) you should put your best foot forward.

I'm going to take a punt and say that the guild the op is applying to join is further progressed than he/she is. Yet lols at their 3 clears of heroic ds.

It's about perceived effort, if they don't perceive you are willing to make effort, then they will rightfully feel you are not right for them.

Remember you are asking to join them, not the other way around.

---------- Post added 2012-08-04 at 12:03 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by jn2002dk View Post
    Agree completely

I can somewhat understand people saying it shows dedication even if it still is a bit sketchy in my opinion but honestly, the 80 stat points you're missing is not going to matter unless you're raiding on Paragon like level

At this point in an expansion it's downright ridiculous to demand you switch professions considering the massive nerfs to DS
    160 stats (80 by 2 as there are 2 professions) certainly do make a difference. Or do you say the same regarding someone unreforged, ungemmed and unenchanted?

Sure it matters less at this stage of the expansion, but as I said above it is about perceived effort.