Deleted

Experienced MMO player returning LF info and Guild

So as the title says Ive recently returned to playing Rift after a long absence and am looking for a couple of questions answered and maybe a guild to level up in and learn the ropes from (again!).

I love the way Trion operate, everything from the speed new content is released to how well the changes they make effect the game and people enjoyment of the game, along with their communication with the player base. This is one of the main reasons im playing again, along with how awesome and fulfilling the PvE endgame looks.

I should start by saying im almost solely concerned with PvE content at end game.

My biggest memories (and I guess most annoying) of the game first time around was how un melee friendly a lot of the PvE bosses abilities were. Bearing in mind I played at launch and really, really enjoyed the levelling process (no raiding content was out, at least I dont think it was...) but lots of the world bosses, rift bosses and heroic instance bosses seemed to have AoE to move away from, cleaves to run from etc and it was quite annoying as a melee player back then.

1) Looking at some videos and streams recently im hopeful that has changed, ill probably play both a ranged and melee DPS but keen to know if melee is as viable end game PVE as ranged or do groups mainly look for casters/ranged?

2)Info on some fun, challenging DPS souls that also perform well at the top level wold be massively appreciated. (both melee and ranged)

3) although I enjoy end game PvP ocasionally my time on lots of MMOs has led me to be wary of PvP Realms (or shards in this case) due to grieving and ganking that some people seem to take so much pleasure in, are any of the PvE realm (EU) heavily populated with good communities?

4) Would it take forever for me to gear up to current raid levels once I hit 50? good enough to be considered for a decent guild raiding team I mean. I dont mind it taking a few weeks, I dont excpet to be handed epic gear the day I hit 50 but Id like to know its not going to be an impossible task this close to an expansion.

If you've bothered to read all of this (gz to you!) maybe you're part of a large, prominent or strong guild (PvE wise) who would be willing to invite me while I level, not expecting raids spots ofc but somewhere fun and active to enjoy my levelling process (again ) where in time maybe I would be able to prove myself enough to start doing end game content.

Background: I realise it doesnt matter in the slightest when it comes to Rift raiding but im a long time MMO player, in SWotor, TERA and mainly WoW where I cleared almost all Heroic raid content before eventually moving to Raid leader of a 7/7hc in Firelands and now 8/8hc guild in DS. Again I know that wont mean a thing in rift but its just to let you know I can play MMOS to a high standard and can take the game seriously when needed (and also have fun the other 95% of the time ofc!)

Cheers for any help in advance

TLDR: read numbers 1) 2) 3) and 4) for my questions.
    Interested in joining a large, prominent or progressive guild while I level to enjoy the social aspect and learn as I go.
    Last edited by mmoc4273e78571; 2012-08-02 at 01:28 AM.

1) Looking at some videos and streams recently im hopeful that has changed, ill probably play both a ranged and melee DPS but keen to know if melee is as viable end game PVE as ranged or do groups mainly look for casters/ranged?
    Melee isn't too bad. Although being melee usually requires faster reaction time for PBAOEs.

I mostly tank as a Warrior [cleared all current content], but on occasion I play DPS. No big complaints.

2)Info on some fun, challenging DPS souls that also perform well at the top level wold be massively appreciated. (both melee and ranged)
    Mage is easily the most complicated of DPS classes. But I am not sure that is saying much. I find most of the DPS specs and classes to be rather straightforward. No more difficult than any other rotation based combat system. If you just want a lot of buttons to press; something Mage.

3) although I enjoy end game PvP ocasionally my time on lots of MMOs has led me to be wary of PvP Realms (or shards in this case) due to grieving and ganking that some people seem to take so much pleasure in, are any of the PvE realm (EU) heavily populated with good communities?
    Rift is less popular in the EU than NA supposedly. Taking a peek at the shard status from time to time they seem about even to me- informally, of course. Nonetheless, NA is where most of the action is at usually.

Only advice I can give on EU shards is... well, none. Not an EU player.

4) Would it take forever for me to gear up to current raid levels once I hit 50? good enough to be considered for a decent guild raiding team I mean. I dont mind it taking a few weeks, I dont excpet to be handed epic gear the day I hit 50 but Id like to know its not going to be an impossible task this close to an expansion.
    Wellll..... this one is tricky. Almost everything can be gained solo in Rift. Even top level raid gear [Infernal]. However, the way Rift does it is by attaching the gear access to a number of daily actives.

For example, you can queue for LFD dungeon dailies and select the type of badges you wish to get- t1, t2 or t3 gear. With t3 badges take like twice as long to gain as t2 and so on. So yea, you can potentially gear yourself up to the top end raid gear right now if you did LFD dungeons like everyday. It would just take a long time.

Alternatively, there is raid equivalent gear in the for of crafted pieces [lower tier] and vendor sold gear [medium to high tier]. Natch, these can be gained by crafting or grinding the open world currency of Inscribed Source Stone [ISS for short]. Catch is, it take a long time to grind up that gear and you use the ISS for your source machine as well...

By the way, you need to do dailies, events &/or open world raid rifts for ISS to build a quality source machine at some point. Which is also quite a lot of additional grind.

Lower tier raids are PUG'd fairly often though. Also master mode dungeons were introduced as a half way point between 10 man and 20 man gearing. Master Modes are 5 man dungeons somewhat harder and more complex than the normal and expert versions. Gear can be quite good as a filler/catch-up piece out them.

There are a lot of ways to gear yourself. How long it takes is a combination of luck and willingness.

Quote Originally Posted by AnythingBut View Post
    Melee are viable, but as Fencers said you need to be a lot more aware of boss AoEs/cleaves etc, your positioning is a lot more challenging than with ranged. I've seen melee pull good numbers tho.

Mages have the most complex specs, and also the highest single target DPS. However it is very challenging to play the most complex rotation, a lot of mages go with a simpler one which yields equal DPS to other classes, though it is still harder to play than most other classes rotations. I would say that rogues are probably next in line in terms of difficulty after mages.

Icewatch is probably best, largest server for sure, but it is closed at the moment. I think if someone did an Ascend a Friend invite you could get onto that server though, or if you asked GMs to move you there because you had RL friends there they might.

Depends entirely on how much you play. I would say that if you were able to play all day every day you could be ready in a month. Get the T2 marks and get into Hammerknell asap, once you have 4pc HK set pieces and you've got HK weapons/trinkets etc and 420 hit you can move on to doing Infernal Dawn. I would say five weeks maybe.

If you've bothered to read all of this (gz to you!) maybe you're part of a large, prominent or strong guild (PvE wise) who would be willing to invite me while I level, not expecting raids spots ofc but somewhere fun and active to enjoy my levelling process (again ) where in time maybe I would be able to prove myself enough to start doing end game content.
    I'm an officer in my guild, you're welcome to join us on Icewatch (ingame name is the same as the forum one). We're currently half way through Infernal Dawn and have the 10man equivalent, Primeval Feast, on farm

Looking at what you are interested in by the way I would probably try rogue. They have extremely good ranged and melee specs (ranged being slightly better), they make fun tanks, they are awesomesauce in PvP and while initially gearing you can roll as Bard because your gear doesn't matter as much as it does for DPS/Tanking.

Deleted
    1) Here are a small handful of what RIFT bosses have to offer
    Instanced Raid Bosses-

Akylios

Laethys

Alsbeth

Prince Hylas

Soulrender Zilas

Dragon Eggs

Parabellum Livestream (The Guild I'm in, Currently the 'Top Ranked' EU Guardian Guild) Stream's Only active during around our raiding times, but definately a good watch just to see Zykor's face... (7pm-10pm UK Time)

Zone Event Bosses (Open World):

Upcoming in Storm Legion:

Volan

A couple of the current ones:

Scerrion

Ochrin

2) From what it sound's rogue would be the perfect class for you, This is a link to the 'Rogue Bible' it will teach you all you need to know about playing a rogue at endgame... may seem a bit overwhelming at first :P

3)I currently play on EU Bloodiron the EU PVP shard and it is not for the faint hearted, I'd definately suggest starting out on EU blightweald a very nice healthy active PVE server

4)In a few weeks if you make the right connections, prove that you can play your class well and get lucky with some of the loot, you could possibly find yourself in a guild progressing through Infernal Dawn (Current Top Tier Raid). I've managed to get a fresh 50-> Infernal Dawn Ready in a week and a bit, but that's just because i have connections everywhere :P
    Last edited by mmoc318c19303a; 2012-08-02 at 09:09 AM.

You should check out Blightweald, it's currently the designated 'new players' English PVE shard. The low level zones are totally packed (I rolled a Guardian on it to check out the other side), and you'd very likely find yourself a nice social levelling guild until you hit 50 when you can find somewhere more serious if you wish.

---------- Post added 2012-08-02 at 12:13 PM ----------

Also, regarding the game being more popular in NA than EU; I'm not sure there's any real difference worth noting. The community is just slightly more segmented due to the language barriers, which may give off the impression that there are less players.

Deleted
    Thanks for all the fantastic replies its been a great help ill probably play both a Rogue and mage form what ive read form you guys and see which I prefer the feel of.

May well go with Icewatch too is seems(ive been able to create chars there so seems its not closed at present), is there one faction that favour population wise or are they fairly even? It doesnt matter for world PvP of course but the chances of finding guilds and running into social situation during levelling would benefit from a large population,

Thanks again
    Last edited by mmoc4273e78571; 2012-08-02 at 12:55 PM.

Thanks for all the fantastic replies its been a great help ill probably play both a Rogue and mage form what ive read form you guys and see which I prefer the feel of.

May well go with Icewatch too is seems(ive been able to create chars there so seems its not closed at present), is there one faction that favour population wise or are they fairly even? It doesnt matter for world PvP of course but eh changes of finding guilds and running into social situation during levelling would benefit from a large population,

Thanks again
    Guardian \o/

We have better looking starter zones, imo Also roll Dwarf for fall damage reduction or Elf for flying. Humans suck

EDIT: If you're interested in leveling together a bit I am game btw outside of my normal raids/dungeon time, I have a warrior and a cleric that I can easily gear for any role. They are 35 and 43, but thanks to the Mentoring feature I can lower my level to your level once you hit L10 and help you along

Quote Originally Posted by Tarien View Post
    Guardian \o/

We have better looking starter zones, imo Also roll Dwarf for fall damage reduction or Elf for flying. Humans suck

EDIT: If you're interested in leveling together a bit I am game btw outside of my normal raids/dungeon time, I have a warrior and a cleric that I can easily gear for any role. They are 35 and 43, but thanks to the Mentoring feature I can lower my level to your level once you hit L10 and help you along
    Don't listen to him, roll Defiant!

Meridian > Sanctum
    Bahmi > every Guardian race

Unless you're into the whole religious zealotry thing, Defiant all the way.

For gearing up, I was expert ready practically the day I hit 50. There is a set of gear called the Transplanar set that gets you very close, if not to(with Runes(Enchants)), the required Hit/Focus to run them. Running those can get you to the 200 needed for Raiding and Master Modes pretty quick. Leveling can also be done super quick with the addition of low level Instant Adventures in 1.9. You can run those and level extremely quickly, and though they are low level, with the mentor system it will cap your level at the level for it but give you XP rewards based on your actual level. Depending on how much you play, you could hit 50 and be raid ready in a couple weeks I would imagine.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seatin View Post
    1)
    3)I currently play on EU Bloodiron the EU PVP shard and it is not for the faint hearted, I'd definately suggest starting out on EU blightweald a very nice healthy active PVE server
    I've seen you a few times, everytime i saw your name i recognised it but didn't realise why. You probably haven't noticed me but i'm called Solidito in Storm Inquisition, it's really easy to remember people in this game haha. I do my world pvp dailys everyday and you just get used to the people doing them, though i think it's mainly Sanctum and Conquest i've seen you in.

Edit - I've just realised, i think it's you, you was actually in Storm Inquisition weren't you? Then you left to join para. You put a large chunk of money into the guild bank then took it when you left, which is reasonable, and people started complaining thinking you ninja'd it, i explained that you originally put it in haha. I could just be mistaken and thinking of someone else though xD
    Last edited by Solidito; 2012-08-03 at 03:46 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Solidito View Post
    I've seen you a few times, everytime i saw your name i recognised it but didn't realise why. You probably haven't noticed me but i'm called Solidito in Storm Inquisition, it's really easy to remember people in this game haha. I do my world pvp dailys everyday and you just get used to the people doing them, though i think it's mainly Sanctum and Conquest i've seen you in.

Edit - I've just realised, i think it's you, you was actually in Storm Inquisition weren't you? Then you left to join para. You put a large chunk of money into the guild bank then took it when you left, which is reasonable, and people started complaining thinking you ninja'd it, i explained that you originally put it in haha. I could just be mistaken and thinking of someone else though xD
    This was not me, In that scenario i would of probably just left the money in there :P, But no before i was in Parabellum I was on Icewatch as a social in a guild called Envy