10+ Year Old Account
    I see it like T.V shows

yeah barney was great, but then you move on to other shit eventually and not look at the latest show designed for kids even if they are good.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    "mature games" appealed to more people, the people who played Mario in the 80s were no longer 10 in the 90s.

great rant about what makes a great game, but will a random teen (in the 90s) buy a game with a cartoony dinosaur on it?
    Like I said, anyone with that mentality hasn't had their testicles drop, clearly. And people with that kind of attitude make me want to punch them because it is garbage excuses like that which have made gaming such a shitty form of entertainment.

"If it ain't mature, it won't target all gamer's"

Well guess what, all gamer's doesn't extend exclusively to fucky little 14 year old's who PMS when they get their asses handed to them online and anyone who is a gaming veteran like myself, and potentially alienates younger players from enjoying a game because of the rating. Hence why the rating doesn't mean shit for anything other than keeping them out of the hands of minors. And some of the greatest games ever made have been Everyone and Teen rated games as well, so again, rating has squat all to do with what makes a game good. I have been playing video games since I was 3 years old, and I still play games of every rating level, good games are good if they are fun, and to be honest a lot of Mature rated titles are boring as fuck. Most of these assholes calling themselves game reviewers were still in their mothers wombs, hell some of them weren't even damn well born, and yet people act like their shitty little opinions are gospel when it comes to judging the quality of a game. Kids today and their entitled bullshit need to fuck right off and go outside.
    Last edited by Rennadrel; 2015-06-20 at 11:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    we don't even know if NX is a full fledge console or nintendo getting into mobile
    um... nintendo said the entire reason they announced nx is to prove they WERENT abandoning consoles, and it was basically confirmed a couple days ago when they mentioned any home console metroid prime game would be developed for nx now that its the wiiu succesor.

other than that all we know is that the nx and whatever nintendos next handheld will be will have more similar architecture to allow developers to more easily develop games for both, and that the nx will use the new loyalty program that will be replacing club nintendo.

what i think and what alot of others think is that the nx might be some mix of both handheld and home console since the nx announcement next year lines up right with when nintendo usually announces their new handhelds since the new 3ds will have been out the same amount of time the gameboy colour, gameboy sp, and dsi was
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Like I said, anyone with that mentality hasn't had their testicles drop, clearly. And people with that kind of attitude make me want to punch them because it is garbage excuses like that which have made gaming such a shitty form of entertainment.

"If it ain't mature, it won't target all gamer's"

Well guess what, all gamer's doesn't extend exclusively to fucky little 14 year old's who PMS when they get their asses handed to them online and anyone who is a gaming veteran like myself, and potentially alienates younger players from enjoying a game because of the rating. Hence why the rating doesn't mean shit for anything other than keeping them out of the hands of minors. And some of the greatest games ever made have been Everyone and Teen rated games as well, so again, rating has squat all to do with what makes a game good. I have been playing video games since I was 3 years old, and I still play games of every rating level, good games are good if they are fun, and to be honest a lot of Mature rated titles are boring as fuck.
    Wow.... can you be more intelligible please?

It had more mature games for teens and young adults, not just almost exclusively kids games. The PS1 had the bigger library, was cheaper, had games which (PRE WIDE SPREAD INTERNET USE) appealed to more people at face value. It has E, T and M games in large quantities.

Simple as that

10+ Year Old Account
    Umm... that escalated quite quickly. Genn says there weren't that many mature games on N64 and you go berserk? You okay Rennadrel?

Regardless, you are exactly the person you hate. You realize that the whole "testicles drop" thing could be used to describe people who like cartoony games right? Diversity is the spice of life. We need games like Mario, Ratchet and Clank, Rayman, and Star Fox. We also need games like Gears of War, Dark Souls, The Last of Us, and The Witcher 3.

Shit would be boring if everything was super cartoony and light hearted or super dark, gritty, and grim. It's all about balance.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    Umm... that escalated quite quickly. Genn says there weren't that many mature games on N64 and you go berserk? You okay Rennadrel?

Regardless, you are exactly the person you hate. You realize that the whole "testicles drop" thing could be used to describe people who like cartoony games right? Diversity is the spice of life. We need games like Mario, Ratchet and Clank, Rayman, and Star Fox. We also need games like Gears of War, Dark Souls, The Last of Us, and The Witcher 3.

Shit would be boring if everything was super cartoony and light hearted or super dark, gritty, and grim. It's all about balance.
    And on that the PS1 and PS2 did that very well,

Sly Cooper, and Spyro, on the same shelf as GTA.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post

Like I said, I play games of all ratings, and don't discriminate games based on their art style or graphics quality. And I don't see gaming that way anymore, there is no balance. Look at all of the biggest hyped games from E3, if you think there is balance there, then you really are oblivious. The maturity level of a title should never be the determining factor in a games appeal, and that was my point. Games should be fun and if a game isn't fun to you, it doesn't appeal to you, regardless of genre or maturity level. The most popular games from E3 that got announced, including Fallout 4, are going to be T or M rated games. Teen rated titles can generally transcend more audience levels due to the most capable appeal, but when you factor in the general viewer age demographic as no doubt being teenagers and adults, those mature titles become the biggest hits and anything that isn't winds up being treated as a "kiddy game" or "for children". It is that kind of absurd, toxic attitude that has really driven away the diversity in gaming. It isn't hard to see if you really look at it from all angles.

There are a lot of games that don't appeal to me, I have a hard time staying attached to shooters just because the genre is so riddled with them these days. I don't see the appeal in Call of Duty purely because most shooters in general I don't like playing online play, which is something I feel it forces on the players rather than giving them an engaging single player game. I understand the appeal of online play, but I am a guy who likes games that he can play by himself or with some friends, hence why the Borderlands games appealed to me more, because single player is still an option and still fun and almost the exact same experience as playing with friends.

Game appeal is all a matter of opinion and perspective, but I never look at the rating on the box as being an indicator of whether or not I will enjoy the game. Based on what I saw at E3, I probably won't enjoy Star Fox Zero because it looks like Nintendo made another mediocre game in the franchise. I probably will enjoy the new Doom game because well, Doom as a franchise I have many fond memories of playing when I was younger, even though I have the same feeling about Star Fox, the lack of multiplayer (including no online) is a deal breaker and pretty much finished off any chance of me spending $70 on the game. Doom on the other hand seems to be offering both a solid game as well as the online play component and map creation as a bonus, consider me sold because even if the single player isn't nearly as extensive as the old games were back in the day, it will still be fun.

Either way, I don't think there is much of an issue with rating diversity on Nintendo platforms, for as long as I have been around they have had games running the gamut of genres and ratings, I think these days it is only far more noticeable because of the lack in developer support as well as the sluggish pace that Nintendo produces games as well. So it really isn't an issue of Nintendo themselves, there are a lot of factors that have caused this to be an issue.

10+ Year Old Account
    When I hear people say the ps1 didn't have many good games :S Resident evil franchise, silent hill, Metal gears, grand theft auto, Soul Blade, Tekken, Tony Hawks, Gran Tourismo christ sake you could go on for hours, stop being such fanboys.

It wasn't the Wii, where there were smatterings of good games and a ton of shovelware, it was tons of good games and tons of shovelware.

The N64 was awesome because of its handful of outstanding games but it also hand some utter tripe, its ratio probably wasn't any better than most consoles.
    Last edited by draykorinee; 2015-06-21 at 05:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    When I hear people say the ps1 didn't have many good games :S Resident evil franchise, silent hill, Metal gears, grand theft auto, Soul Blade, Tekken, Tony Hawks, Gran Tourismo christ sake you could go on for hours, stop being such fanboys.

It wasn't the Wii, where there were smatterings of good games and a ton of shovelware, it was tons of good games and tons of shovelware.

The N64 was awesome because of its handful of outstanding games but it also hand some utter tripe, its ratio probably wasn't any better than most consoles.
    meh, it wasnt until the ps2 era that the games you listed became good in my opinion. sure they started what would become great franchises but when it comes to games like metal gear and grand theft auto its what they did in the ps2 era where they are most praised
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account

The PS1 had a lot of rehashes too. How many Cool Borders games were there? Like 8 or something iirc. They were pretty good early on, though I liked SSX and 1080 Snowboarding more. Twisted Metal was one of my favourite PS1 games though, had a lot of fun with that series. Plus eventually you had Tomb Raider games and a bunch of big name franchises. Either way, the N64 and PS1 were the high point in gaming for me just because they both offered great experiences and I have the best memories of those systems. A lot of big name franchises got their start because of the PS1 though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Give me an n64 and wwf no mercy and it'll only be bettered by a ps one and ff7.

Twisted metal was amazing, watching as let's play now it looks horrific.

My favorite game on the N64 was Perfect Dark. And as a sidenore I loved the fact that it could be M, but scaled down to T if you didn't want language, blood, or both. It appeased my parents!
    MY X/Y POKEMON FRIEND CODE: 1418-7279-9541 In Game Name: Michael__

10+ Year Old Account
    I would say that PS1 did better because it was cheaper, games were cheaper, it had more games, and you had a wide range of E, T, and M, rated games which is why it appealed to a wider audience.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Symphonic View Post
    My favorite game on the N64 was Perfect Dark. And as a sidenore I loved the fact that it could be M, but scaled down to T if you didn't want language, blood, or both. It appeased my parents!
    Laptop guns were just the bees knees.

"mature games" appealed to more people, the people who played Mario in the 80s were no longer 10 in the 90s.

great rant about what makes a great game, but will a random teen (in the 90s) buy a game with a cartoony dinosaur on it?
    I'll take a Mario game any day over something like God of War. That game was just cringe levels of bad to me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    I'll take a Mario game any day over something like God of War. That game was just cringe levels of bad to me.
    I haven't ever enjoyed a Mario game, I was always a sonic guy, I despised mario 64.

I haven't ever enjoyed a Mario game, I was always a sonic guy, I despised mario 64.
    I hate Sega for making Sonic Generations and showing they can still make a good Sonic game, just to start pumping out things like Sonic Boom.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am in no way saying the PS1 has greater quality, it had more and cheaper games, some N64 games were waaaaay expensive. I think quest 64 was like 80 bucks in some places. It just had more games that appealed to more people.
    Yes. N64 games were brutally expensive. That meant my parents didn't buy me very many and it took me ages to save up and buy one. Games were AT LEAST 70 dollars, with many titles, especially those developed third party, being 80 dollars or more. It was crushing. Prices seemed to go down a tiny bit once the game had been out for a year or so, but we're talking a 5 or 10 dollar drop. Used game sales weren't as big of a thing back in that era, and besides, there wasn't a GameStop on every corner like there is now. Rentals helped though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Teah the prices were crazy, remember pre ordering No Mercy for about £65.

Quote Originally Posted by thewallofsleep View Post
    Yes. N64 games were brutally expensive. That meant my parents didn't buy me very many and it took me ages to save up and buy one. Games were AT LEAST 70 dollars, with many titles, especially those developed third party, being 80 dollars or more. It was crushing. Prices seemed to go down a tiny bit once the game had been out for a year or so, but we're talking a 5 or 10 dollar drop. Used game sales weren't as big of a thing back in that era, and besides, there wasn't a GameStop on every corner like there is now. Rentals helped though.
    The golden age of Blockbuster.