What's the verdict on electric shavers, trimmers?

I used to always use Gilette razors, but I found I was getting a ton of razor-burn, so I made the switch to safety razors. Overall, I'm happy with the change, but it can be a bit time-consuming to do *EVERY* single day, not to mention I'm in the market for a good beard-trimmer anyways.

It doesn't necessarily need to be a baby-smooth shave every time, so long as it will last the day without looking like I have stubble. I used to have a really cheap one when I was younger, which has three circular blades, but I found it would often miss entire spots, namely on my neck (which, since I grow a light beard, is kind of the most important spot to get right). Any of you guys have any personal recommendations? I'd prefer to keep cost down as much as possible, but I don't want to skimp on quality unless the price-difference is too dramatic. Or am I better just going on, shaving once every two or three days?

Also, as for an actual beard-trimmer; any suggestions on that front? I've actually been through probably three or four, in the $20-40 range, but it seems like they give out really quickly, and do a really poor job anyways. The biggest issue I have is on my chin and sideburns, which I like to keep longer, but generic trimmers just don't seem to carry attachments to keep it thick. Am I better just getting handy with a pair of scissors, or is it worth splurging for a good trimmer?

And my final question; have any of you tried any of the "Waterproof" grooming tools, like Norelco? It seems like an interesting idea, but I kind of question how well it really works, and whether it's truly waterproof. I mean, I really don't want to be the guy who gets electrocuted to death in his shower : /

10+ Year Old Account
    I would suggest growing a beard. If it looks good and manly on you, you should give it a try. Or maybe a stubble. If you're going to have a stubble, just use electric shavers instead of razors so that way you save tons of money comparing to shaving it every two or three days. I don't mean using electric shavers to get smooth skin, just make it stubble. Personally, I never like a baby-smooth face.

I have razor (rarely use it), electric shaver, and beard trimmer. If you're going to have a stubble or a beard, you definitely need a beard trimmer, otherwise, you'll look like a bum. It's always better to have it trimmed. Unlikely razors, you actually need a good brand of bread trimmer for it to be effective and to last long. There are many good brand, such as Norelco.

Speaking of Norelco, those waterproof grooming tools... I'm sure they are working as intended. You shouldn't get paranoid about electrocuted to death. I never find it appealing to shave while in showering. I always shave separately from showering. But my friends have used it in shower and they are fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Claymore View Post
    And my final question; have any of you tried any of the "Waterproof" grooming tools, like Norelco? It seems like an interesting idea, but I kind of question how well it really works, and whether it's truly waterproof. I mean, I really don't want to be the guy who gets electrocuted to death in his shower : /
    you're being paranoid.
    there are tons of waterproof razors and even radios. if they don't work you can guarantee that company is going to be out a shit ton of money

most waterproof stuff is going to be battery operated, from my experience. I have a nose/ear hair trimmer that is waterproof, as a radio that is waterproof, and both are battery operated.

You are going to get a worse shave with electric trimmers than you get with a razor, but it depends on your face. I have a 5 o'clock shadow after I shave because of how thick and dark my hair is. Even after going to a professional barber who used a cut-throat razor. You will just have to try it yourself, but the best shave you are going to get at home is from a razor.

Deleted
    I've got an expensive electric razor and it's all I've ever used. My father also uses one, and his previous one lasted him over 10 years, so it's a good idea getting an expensive one if your going to look after it.

Having never shaved any other way I can't give an balanced argument, what I will say is that being able to shave anywhere, without having to worry about foam etc is a really nice feature of a electric razor, the shave quality for me is always good - very close indeed, I can't imagine a wet razor being much closer.

Maintenance is everything with an electric razor though, make sure you clean it out often and every now and then buy some new blades. I haven't needed to put in new blades in mine for almost 3 years however, and it still gives a clean shave.

Just remember, an expensive one is a good investment if your going to stick with it, they can last an outrageously long time.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have a baby face and can't really grow a beard without it looking patchy and horrible.

Personally I no longer use electric ones, I find it takes a little longer, is not as good a shave, and requires a lot of maintenance. My brother and father use electric ones and like them for the safety and being much more cost effective in the long run.

Like Rainmaker said, if you're using electric buy a good, expensive one, cheap ones are terrible.
    Last edited by Lannden; 2012-07-30 at 08:31 AM.

Deleted
    If you can grow a beard that doesn't look like peach fuzz, don't shave.

15+ Year Old Account
    beards are awesome, fact.

I have a Braun 790cc, on sale at amazon for less than $200. It might sound like a lot, but when you factor in the cost of saving supplies over the life of the shaver, it's a good deal. Also, unlike a razor you can shave while driving

10+ Year Old Account
    A proper short cropped beard is where it's at, that is of course if you can grow a proper one.

Beard #1

Beard #2

Beard #3
    Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
    You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.

Sovereign
    Mass Effect

Used to use gillette razors too in my younger years but eventually the shaving experience with a razor escalated to such unpleasant levels (no half an inch thick tauren skin here) I finally bought a norelco/philips electric razor. Not a silk-smooth finish nor the cheapest solution but at least my facial skin is living happily now. And at least they used to last for years, we'll see about mine, so the quite high price is not that big deal.
    Last edited by ifrah; 2012-07-30 at 01:30 PM.

Deleted
    I use the gillete with the like 6-7 blades, they are pretty cheap, you can buy new blades, and as long as you dont shave against the grain you wont get that burning feeling

Deleted
    Personally I think if you shave often (eg. every day) you should go electric. The cheap ones are fine if you don't keep a beard at all. While the trimmer on cheap electric shavers is usually terrible the main part usually gets the job done acceptably.

If you shave rarely then I think wet razors (multiblade) get the job done better and more accurately.

If you want to grow a (maintaned) beard I think you will need a beard trimmer. The regular trimmers on cheap electric shavers are just so feeble and inaccurate.
    Last edited by mmocb100f50513; 2012-07-30 at 01:40 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by gend View Post
    Personally I think if you shave often (eg. every day) you should go electric. The cheap ones are fine if you don't keep a beard at all. While the trimmer on cheap electric shavers is usually terrible the main part usually gets the job done acceptably.

If you shave rarely then I think wet razors (multiblade) get the job done better and more accurately.

If you want to grow a (maintaned) beard I think you will need a beard trimmer. The regular trimmers on cheap electric shavers are just so feeble and inaccurate.
    The thing is, when I use electric shavers, (apart from the skin irritations I get) I need to shave daily, if not twice a day (shaved with an electric razor in the morning I could not have business dinner in the evening), while with a wet razor, I still look acceptable in the evening and not like a bum the next morning.

Well, there's certainly nothing more cost-efficient than the safety-razor; a single blade lasts for several months, and cost like .20 cents to replace. Still, like I said, they seem to take quite a fair bit of time (usually takes me about 20-ish minutes to shave), and unless I'm meeting someone special that day, just seems like too much of a bother for regular errands (although in fairness, it could just be that I'm lazy).

I was hoping that there would be a good enough shaver-trimmer combo that I could invest in, but it sounds like those would probably be best as two separate purchases. Since I'm a little strapped for cash at the moment, I think I'll just focus on investing in a good trimmer; any suggestions? The biggest thing is I want to truly be able to maintain longer hair with it, so it need attachments that aren't just going to trim it to a stubble.

I offer nothing of value to this, as I can't grow jack for facial hair. It takes about 10 days of not shaving for me to really look like hell. I grow very light hair, so for about 3-5 days after shaving, it's tough to tell that anything's there. I cna't remember when I last shaved, but I think it was more than a week ago, and I am just now getting to the point where I think I'm overdue to get on that again. Personally, I just grab a razor and have at it. I have no preference to electric or a brand.

Typically electrics don't work very well if you actually have to shave every day.

Note I said "have to" not choose to. If you can get away without shaving every day, you can probably do fine with an electric.

But, if shaving every day is a requirement... any disposable cartridge system works fine... learn to shave in the shower. You don't even need shaving cream.
    The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities.

Warchief
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymore View Post
    Still, like I said, they seem to take quite a fair bit of time (usually takes me about 20-ish minutes to shave), and unless I'm meeting someone special that day, just seems like too much of a bother for regular errands (although in fairness, it could just be that I'm lazy).
    20 minutes? Weird.

Then I was a teenage, and then went to college, I had a cheap-o electric shaver (the three round head type) with a "trimmer" thing that flipped out on the back side for doing sideburns or whatever. I used it, it was fine. Once I got out of college I started using a normal 3-blade disposable one. However, and maybe I'm weird, I rarely use shaving cream. I take a shower, wash my face, then get out and grab my razor. I just wet it and shave. I keep a beard, so I just shave high on my cheeks and then down under my jawline and my neck. I don't think I have EVER cut myself shaving, and I don't get razorburn or anything. And it takes me less than a minute. Shake the razor under running water after ever swipe to knock the hairs out, and zip zip zip I'm done.

My old electric one got run down pretty quickly where it couldn't hold a charge and I had to shave with it plugged in. Which is good I guess, you don't want to be shaving with an under-powered electric or it will just snag instead of cut.

Oh, one more note on the shaving cream. On the rare occasion that I do use shaving cream, I do notice the closer and softer shave. If anything, when I use shaving cream is the only time I get "irritated" a little bit, and then use some shaving lotion. When I don't use shaving cream I don't get irritated at all.
    Last edited by Porcell; 2012-07-30 at 11:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Porcell View Post
    However, and maybe I'm weird, I rarely use shaving cream. I take a shower, wash my face, then get out and grab my razor.
    This is the real trick, to me at least. If I shave right after I get out of the shower, it works best. I don't even keep a beard or anything, so I'm doing my whole face. Also no shaving cream.

I do have an electric that I use for maintenance and a little trimming on side burns or the back of my neck (I also cut my own hair... so I'm probably strange).

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've always been curious about electric shavers as well, but never bothered buying one. My preference for facial hair is mutton chops down to about an inch away from my chin with a goatee (no mustach) and I like the precision a razor gives me in maintaining that. Sometimes getting the damn things symetrical just about drives my conpulsive ass insane.