Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Asus Xonar Essence STX question.

Anyone have Asus Xonar Essence STX pair with regular computer speakers? I don't prefer to use my headphones much, and between price and aesthetics I'd rather have this card than Asus Xonar Phoebus paired with Corsair SP2500 speakers. I know the Essence STX is specialized for headphones, just wondering if it works great with speakers as well, or if I might as well go with the Phoebus for speakers. Thanks.

10+ Year Old Account
    SP2500 + Xonar STX owner here. The STX isn't "specialized" for headphones exactly, it pumps out the same quality regardless of what you've got connected to it (whether your receivers can SHOW that quality is another story obviously). What you're referring to is the built-in headphone Amp, a feature which only applies to high-impedence headphones - basically the studio-quality type which get crazy expensive.

So doesn't matter whether you're using speakers or headphones...as far as the card is concerned, they're the same thing and it does an excellent job for both.

Going by tech specs, the STX is superior to the Phoebus - 192khz sample rate support vs 96khz, 124db SNR vs 118db SNR, etc. Obviously these differences are so tiny your ears won't pick them up, but the STX is also $30 cheaper so it's a win for me. For a 2.1 system like SP2500 the STX becomes an even more obvious choice. I'm not going to say it's the BEST soundcard for audio setups, but from my (limited) audio knowledge I can't think of a better sound card to put in a PC.

As for my opinion on the Corsair SP2500...what can I say? It paired with the STX with no issues, the volume can be blasted till the room shakes with no distortion from sub/monitors, the bass is rich (not cheap/tinny-sounding) and if the reviews are to be believed it can compete with entry-level studio monitors that are priced around the same (or far more).
    Others might say you're better off with actual studio monitors made by a known audio company like M-Audio, Samson, etc due to their accuracy (if you're into that sort of thing). Whatever the case may be, the SP2500 certainly has had a lot of light shed onto it in terms of LOTS of 9/10/Gold reviews.

Make sure you get the latest drivers online if you go for the STX, don't install from the CD that comes with it (this applies to pretty much any hardware for me lol).

edit: Oh and here's the SP2500 + Xonar STX Review
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2012-07-31 at 12:18 AM.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

Thanks so much! Pretty cool someone has exactly what I have been mulling over and considering. Will be ordering these then!

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah even I tought "wait, what are the odds o_O". Don't just go off my opinion though! I'm far from an audio expert (or even a beginner -_-)

Make sure you have enough room to put that sub somewhere. It's 18" x 10" x 11.7", big enough to beat elephants to death with.
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2012-07-30 at 11:59 PM.

Lmao. well under my desk is spacious enough for me to stretch all the way out and turn probably 75 degrees. Prob stuff it udner there somewhere. And I don't need an experts opinion, just someone with experience. :-D

Hey Xuvial, did you have any trouble with crackly bass? I have my STX for 4 days now, and I think I'm gonna have to RMA it >< Heavy bass songs are unbearable to listen to, it's so bad...

10+ Year Old Account
    Lets take this to a PM since this is Ryann's thread.

What if I were to get a pair of Samson speakers as opposed to a set like the SP2500, would I have to buy a sub?

10+ Year Old Account
    Hmm that's where things come down to preference. Standalone monitors are more than capable enough of providing accurate bass, but it's not the same "type" of powerful subwoofer bass. You always have the option of buying an independent sub if the bass isn't enough...I read somewhere that the sub model has to go well "in sync" with the monitors or something (not gonna go there since it's not my area of expertise).

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't personally think such a low end set of computer speakers as the Corsair SP2500s (don't get me wrong, they are FAR better than most sets of computer speakers)will take much advantage from such a high end (near $200USD) sound card in comparison to a more mid-range one, like the Asus Xonar DX, which can be had for about $90-100 USD. To truly see the benefit of something like the Essence STX, you'd need to invest a ton more money into very high end studio monitors, we are talking several hundred dollars for each.

As someone however who bought a Xonar DX and then got some Samson Media ONE 3a studio monitors, I can honestly suggest, go ahead and get the Essence STX if you can now, do not cut corners on that part, you'll regret it later, no doubt. The SP2500 will work for you I am sure, as I trust Xuvial's judgement, however if you ever want much more powerful audio and much crisper and cleaner sounds, a high end pair of studio monitors, possibly paired up with a quality sub from the same company, will completely dominate ANY computer speakers you can find, at all.

As for me? When I can, I want to buy a pair of Adam Audio A5X monitors and pair them with an Adam Audio Sub8 or possibly Sub10 MK2. (This set would cost a couple grand easy but very hard to top.)
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    FYI you can't label it "computer speakers" if it's using the same drivers, tech and build quality as studio monitors. Speakers like Klipsch Promedia 2.1 and SP2500 simply can't be thrown along as "the best speakers.........for computers speakers". That's like saying "WHOA YOU'RE SUPER STRONG....for a girl" (teehee).

But enough with that, may the OP decide what is right with him and may Zeus strike down lightning on whoever owns the "best" speakers!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    FYI you can't label it "computer speakers" if it's using the same drivers, tech and build quality as studio monitors. Speakers like Klipsch Promedia 2.1 and SP2500 simply can't be thrown along as "the best speakers.........for computers speakers". That's like saying "WHOA YOU'RE SUPER STRONG....for a girl" (teehee).

But enough with that, may the OP decide what is right with him and may Zeus strike down lightning on whoever owns the "best" speakers!
    As of now, Cyanotical would be the one getting the bolt, if I ever get the Adam Audios? I'll take that title from Cyanotical. ;p

And okay, so the SP2500s are something special, but I don't much like how they look, plus they're bloody small. =S

They would never compare to a pair of 5" or bigger studio monitors, guarantee you that.
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    As of now, Cyanotical would be the one getting the bolt, if I ever get the Adam Audios? I'll take that title from Cyanotical. ;p

And okay, so the SP2500s are something special, but I don't much like how they look, plus they're bloody small. =S

They would never compare to a pair of 5" or bigger studio monitors, guarantee you that.
    last time i checked, adam audio didn't make anything that was "too good for studio use"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    last time i checked, adam audio didn't make anything that was "too good for studio use"
    Grrr.

Adam Audios are more expensive!!!

Perhaps you're right, but I'd more be using them to just have an amazing audio experience and I heard both the KRK Rokit 8s and Adam Audio A7Xs at my local Sam Ash and I quite preferred the Adam Audios. One of the salespersons also said the KRKs are better for studio stuff, but as for listening to music he didn't prefer them.
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    Adam Audios are more expensive!!!
    salespersons....... he didn't prefer them [KRKs]

i'll let you figure that one out

but provided you get a good monitor, it's doesn't really matter, you will just be comparing a ferrari to a lambo, both are insanely better compared to the civic that is normal speakers

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    i'll let you figure that one out

but provided you get a good monitor, it's doesn't really matter, you will just be comparing a ferrari to a lambo, both are insanely better compared to the civic that is normal speakers
    Well, he knew I wasn't going to be buying any regardless, I basically just wanted to hear them and all and wanted to know his honest personal opinion, knowing he wasn't going to get a sale out of it, anyways. :P

And that's very true on the second part.
    "A flower.

Alright, so after taking a gander at new eggs 24 hour sale, I come across the Polk Audio monitors and sub. (I apologize for this messy post as I'm at work on my iPhone tying to do it quick). Will these monitors and sub work for the Xonar STX? If so, how? I'm not too savvy with audio components and have no idea how I would even hook them up to the card. I know you strip the end of a speaker cord and stuff it I the coordinated clamp on the back of the monitor (and sub?). But then what?

For reference:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82290200-L013A <-- Monitors

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82290034-L013B <-- Sub

Thanks for the help so far guys!

---------- Post added 2012-08-02 at 11:00 AM ----------

Also, I heard that I may need to buy an amp to power the speakers... I assumed the sound card itself did that, can that be confirmed or denied?

10+ Year Old Account
    I fairly sure you'll need an amp. BRB finding out some stuff, will edit later...

edit: Okay from what I've found out, you will certainly need a separate amp because those Polk monitors don't come with an integrated one.

Here's your monitors...(cabinet color may vary)

To show a really simplified example, this is what the back of an amp looks like.
    Your monitors will connect to the output ports (black and red RCA ones) and the STX will plug into the Input (red and wite 3.5mm ones):

Here are the corresponding 3.5mm jacks on the STX (white and red on the far left):

I dunno if the monitors come with the appropriate bunch of cables (they should) but those cables are dirt cheap and can be found anywhere anyway.

BUT as for which Amp I would recommend you to buy - well I'm really clueless here because I have no idea what amp specs mean. This is the limit of my audio knowledge
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2012-08-03 at 05:47 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    BUT as for which Amp I would recommend you to buy - well I'm really clueless here because I have no idea what amp specs mean. This is the limit of my audio knowledge
    for the most part, you want one that has clean power, and matches the speakers RMS wattage capability, thats about it, i suppose you could also look at the resistance, but that changes based on how much you amplify the signal

Well, that sale is over. But I'm lookin on Craigslist... And I can get a pair of KRK Rokit5 G2's for $150. They're used but appearantly work like they're new... Worth picking up? I also picked up my Xonar Essense STX last night, and I severely need something better than my old 1" Logitech computer speakers. Lawl.