Upgrade fever - primarily WoW player (waiting on MOP)

Altoholic mostly enjoy leveling and 5 mans with some raiding, and some PvP.

Noticed some frame drops in the beta which could probably be attributed to high populations etc., but wondering if my upgrade fever would be worth it.

Current System
    • Asus P5Q Pro
    • Core 2 Q9650
    • GTX 470
    • Intel 520 SSD
    • 8GB RAM

Just looking to upgrade motherboard, cpu, ram to either i5 or i7 architecture etc.

Future
    • Asrock Z77
    • i7 2600K
    • GTX 470
    • Intel 520 SSD
    • 8GB RAM

Would I notice a difference at Ultra settings? Suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by strax View Post
    Would I notice a difference at Ultra settings? Suggestions?
    Pretty big difference in 25man raids, including LFR. About 30-40% or so. Will improve elsewhere too, but not night and day. And if you overclock it, difference is even bigger.

Get i5-2500K or i5-3570K instead. i7-2600K is bad value for money for purely gaming use.
    Last edited by vesseblah; 2012-07-30 at 11:14 PM.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    No use to get a 2600k. Also, "i5" and "i7" are just naming; they say nothing about the architecture. What you want to look into is Sandy Bridge, or the shrink of that architecture (Ivy Bridge). More so, judging by your request there is no gain whatsoever by going with a CPU with HT enabled, as such your primary interest should be in the 2500k or the 3570k. My recommendation would be the latter.

Rest looks good. What board are you looking to pick up? Also, might be of interest to update or upgrade your power supply if needed. Having a good unit as a base for a new computer/new components is highly recommended. If you have a good unit already, ignore this.

marest, i was just typing out really quick and lumped a lot of terms in without commas. (i.e. i7 2600k stated in the post could have inferred the arch i was looking at). also posted the motherboard ASRock Z77, but i am not allowed to post links.
    ASRock z77 Extreme4

vesseblah,
    thanks, that's kind of what i was expecting after being around a few players in game.

it does seem the i5 35xx is the better value at the moment. it sounds like the 3570 would be worth it though anything beyond it probably has diminishing returns.

not at home atm but psu is a pc power and cooling 610W.

saw people fetch some really fair prices on used q9650's. so overall this would be a pretty inexpensive upgrade.

thanks guys

go for the i5 over the i7 , and with the money saved (and after selling the C2Q and gtx 470 ) get yourself a GTX 660Ti
    Last edited by Tanthalus; 2012-07-31 at 06:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanthalus View Post
    crucial m4 or samsung 830 > intel 520
    Notice that the SSD is in already have list. And there's nothing wrong with Intel 520 either.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanthalus View Post
    and get a gtx 660ti when they are released.
    Why? The primary use of the computer is WoW (again read the OP), and GTX470 is more than capable of capping the graphics settings on single monitor.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

thanks again.

one of the primary reasons for the 520 was solid all around performance and reliability (had an 70-80gb x25m for a while but it was too small for my usage)...purchased the 520 a few months ago. computer is used for other things than gaming. i thought the 520 scored excellent on several tomshardware benchmarks, notably over the m4 if i remember correctly (though to the human eye the differences would probably be negligible).

my thoughts seemed to be what vesseblah confirmed, that the 470 was still definitely good enough. have gotten a lot of life out of this card.

i will probably wait until september, but i'm not sure much will change by then.
    Last edited by strax; 2012-07-31 at 11:41 AM.