High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account

Help needed to choose Computer Case

Hello,

I've posted recently asking for advice for a new computer and I'm pretty much set except I can't figure out what type of case would be a good fit for my machine and which brand to get. The impression I'm getting right now is that people don't put much thought into which computer case to get, and I'd like to get suggestions and the thought process behind those suggestions.

I also have some questions : with my setup, should I be looking at a full or mid tower, taking into consideration I'm getting (I think) a very good fan? And how many built-in fans should I aim for? Some people also suggested that I get models that are older than I would like, but I'm not sure if it's justified to be suspicious of those. Newer models presumably have newer technology while older models have proven themselves to be quality products.

Some of the models I was considering are : Rosewill Thor V2, Cooler Master HAF 932 (both full towers), and for mid towers : Corsair 400R, Corsair 500R, Rosewill Blackhawk, Antec nine hundred, Cooler master HAF 922 and the Fractal Arc Midi. Of course don't hesitate to give suggestions other than those. 160$ (base price) is around the max I want to pay for a case, preferably a bit lower.

My setup:
    Motherboard : Asus Intel P8Z77-V LK
    CPU : Intel core I5-3570k
    Card : (Gigabyte, store couldn't order Asus) Geforge GTX 670
    Hard drive : Western Digital Caviar Black 7200rpm/64mB/500GB
    SSD : Crucial M4 128GB
    RAM : 2x4GB Corsair dominator
    Power supply : Corsair 650HX
    Fan : Noctua D14
    Case : ??
    DVD reader/writer : Asus DRW-24 B1ST
    Windows 7 Home Premium

Thank you for any input!
    Last edited by Synbios; 2012-07-31 at 04:29 PM.

Corsair 600T Good looking quality case from Corsair with decent cooling.
    Corsair 650D Clean, very high quality case.
    Fractal Design Define R4 Lower price but still very good, sound dampened case.
    Silverstone Raven RV02-E Quality case with very good cooling and an unusual design.
    Last edited by n0cturnal; 2012-07-31 at 04:28 PM.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks but... like I have said, I'd like to stay below 160$ and I'd like the thought process behind those suggestions so I can take a good decision. I guess I should have mentionned 160$ is the max for the base price.
    Last edited by Synbios; 2012-07-31 at 04:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Synbios View Post
    Thanks but... like I have said, I'd like to stay below 160$ and I'd like the thought process behind those suggestions so I can take a good decision. I guess I should have mentionned 160$ is the max for the base price.
    All of the cases can be found on Newegg for less than $160.
    Oh well if it is before rebates I guess only Fractal Design is left.
    Last edited by n0cturnal; 2012-07-31 at 04:36 PM.

Full tower if you have the space and you don't plan to lug it around every weekend. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811147158 is a pretty good case. there is a little video at the bottom if you want to watch it. It's also a little under your budget.

Deleted
    Yeah they should all be less than $160 (even in Canada...)

Of the ones you mentioned I recommend the 500R (my signature) or the Fractal Arc.
    Last edited by mmocca5d152c38; 2012-07-31 at 04:36 PM.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for the replies.

So I guess it mostly come down to personnal taste for the looks? Since most cases seem to have really high ratings on newegg.

There's 3 main things you want to consider when purchasing a case:

1. Aesthetics
    2. Airflow
    3. Cable management

All three points tie into each other. Proper cable management enables optimal airflow and keeps your case looking nice.

The primary factor on good or poor case cable management is whether or not the case has plentiful routing holes along the right side of the motherboard tray, and whether or not there is ample room between the motherboard tray and right side panel.

Many people suggest Corsair because of their absurdly awesome cable management. There's -tons- of room behind the motherboard tray on almost all of their cases, and there's always a well above average amount of holes to rout cables.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    There's 3 main things you want to consider when purchasing a case:

1. Aesthetics
    2. Airflow
    3. Cable management

All three points tie into each other. Proper cable management enables optimal airflow and keeps your case looking nice.

The primary factor on good or poor case cable management is whether or not the case has plentiful routing holes along the right side of the motherboard tray, and whether or not there is ample room between the motherboard tray and right side panel.

Many people suggest Corsair because of their absurdly awesome cable management. There's -tons- of room behind the motherboard tray on almost all of their cases, and there's always a well above average amount of holes to rout cables.
    Would you recommend the cases with the fold down mobo tray? There was one I was looking at the other day ( I have to go find it) on Newegg with this feature, my concern was its inability to hide cables in the routing hole. I don't know how extremely important this is. (New to comp building, this will be my first I build by myself)

The removable trays are more of a pain in the ass than they seem. You'll be able to install the motherboard, RAM, processor, cooler and video card outside of the case and all, but when it comes time to put it back in you're going to have to completely reroute all of your PSU, fan, and other random cables all over again.

And that's completely backwards in reference to the order you should be doing stuff. PSU wire routing, fan installation / wire routing and HDD / DVD drive routing and installation should all be sorted out before you sit your motherboard in there to finish the build.
    Last edited by glo; 2012-07-31 at 08:20 PM.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

Thankyou for responding. It seemed like an okay convenience for motherboard installation but I can see the more annoying process with the rest of the routing. Ill cross this one off my list.
    Thanks again.

$80 for a great little case, 5$ shipping. Good caseflow, cable management, watercooling ready, usb 3.0, 3 external drive bays, etc etc etc all the bells and whistles except no stupid window on the side.

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX29767
    Last edited by Grraarrgghh; 2012-07-31 at 08:51 PM.
    Corsair 500r - i5-3570k@4.8 - H100i - 580 DirectCUII - Crucial M4
    Lenovo y580 - i7-3630QM - 660M - Crucial M4 mSATA