Page 1 of 10
... LastLast

Question (Serenity / JSHB) ...The future and MoP.

Hello all my friends that still play!

Just a bit of a news update to the worried individuals that have been riding my ass about MoP and Serenity. You can read my post on the curse serenity comments section, so I'm not repeating it. http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/serenity?comment=84

Long story short here, JSHB is coming back. It's coming back as it should - being directed at your DPS and not extra "pretty shit" that's not helping you with DPS and, in the end, cluttering your UI.

JSHB will have most of the features of Serenity, but will be done as add-on modules (separate addons, to be precise!) - thus allowing it to remain small and fast, which a true raiding hunter needs.

I need input from those of you that have used JSHB in it's glory as to what features you need, want and would love to see removed.

Thanks all, look forward to replies!

TheJS (Yes, some asshole stole my name so I had to change it, which made my cry a little)

Awesome news this JS. I must admit I was concerned at the lack of news about your add on. I like all the hunter features in serenity but generally don't use any of the filters that you added to it. I love the set up, the way the stack counts are done. Best hunter add on ever in my humble opinion

10+ Year Old Account
    awesome! i totally love having the Misdirect feature. i would love for that to stay. i also love the CC timers, of all the features your addon brings, i use those the most. and have found them to be generally helpful to my success as a huntress. keep up the good work and hopefully keep those features as well!
    Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    I do realize that this is an internet forum full of morons, however in real life, no one questions me, people look to me for the answer, look up to me, trust me. To have dipshits on a video game forum question me, is insulting.

I've already fixed the MD option in my version of Serenity that I run because I switched from a UI to independent addons for my needs and thus switched from ElvUI and it's raid frames to Grid. MD was not working for grid, so I had to dive into the code last night. Long story short, MD works again. Not sure why it stopped working, I did not bother to compare code since my last hands-on update.

Regardless, the MD module for JSHB will be done and up on curse in a few days at most, I guess.. So, one module will be out of the way. It's going to be straight forward, just install it. There's not much that needs tweaking on it really, but I will allow config via editing a file if someone really needs. I'm currently torn about how to modularize the chat notification for MD/Interrupts, whether or not to make that a module on it's own or incorporate it into the MD addon - as interrupts are just notification in chat, figure I may want to just strip them out and add them independent so those that do not want them don't even need to install the extra addon.

I'm also looking into a different approach for timers, I feel that the moving icons are a distraction from the events going on around you (and it's a pain in the ass to see stuff in raid encounters now with all the elaborate spell effects that can not be turned off really). The focus bar will remain as it is now, with the same features and maybe more.... But i need to decide on the timers for stuff like SrS, BA, etc.

I want to do this right and simple, as it's what most pro hunters want.

Still using it on live *shrugh*. Never updated to Serenity. At the very least, keep the stack indicators for things like Frenzy, Lock and Load, and MMM - those are quite usefull, atleast to me. Just place them as they are in JSB -there's no need to recolor them, move them around, etc - just the small frame below the bar that lights up as you gain stacks.

I'll be looking forward to it, basically I use the focus bar, and cool down timers, trap timers and reminders (like HM etc). I do use the predictive focus feature with the focus lines also on the focus bar in planning my rotations. I use Serenity in combination with Quartz Cast Bar. There are many features on each I don't use.

tinyurl . com/d2mg3z7

Anyway - Thank you, Thank You, Thank You.

A fantastic add-on indeed. One suggestion I've got is a way to do a single click to disable all announcements and notifications. While I appreciate players who announce cool down usage, or interrupts sometimes it can be excessive. For example I recently ran with a hunter (while on my DK, tanking) and he had announcements for:

- When he casted Misdirection
    - When the threat transfer on misdirection ended
    - How much threat was transferred to me during the transfer window
    - When he interrupted (and what was interrupted)
    - When he dispelled (and what he dispelled)
    - That he was trapping a target and when the trap broke, who broke it and with what ability

I just don't need to know all of those things, heck in 5-man content I don't need to know any of it. I personally don't run with any announcements, I've had tanks complain to me about them and for the first time I could see why.

All those things can be turned off in serenity which i loved about serenity. honestly serenity was perfect and i love that mod, i pvp and pve and it had pretty much every single thing that a hunter needs. I like the fact that it could be customized to make it look how I watned it to look to match my UI cause i do use elvui so my bar is black. my only gripe was the menu system, it was a bit confusing. Keep the current features but work on the options/menu UI
    I want to have a child and use it as a pulling tool in dungeons.

Can't describe how happy I am to know your coming back with this. My UI has pretty much been built around Serenity/JSHB so I was genuinely worried about losing it for MoP.

Without having an Idea of what you mean by the crap you want to remove I can't really comment. I set my Serenity up sooooo long ago that I can barely remember all the bits I've turned off and on.

I'll keep an eye on this thread though and post again when I'm abit more inspired lol

I to still using JSHB on live, never liked serenity (dont know why), imo leave MMM stacks bar like in old JSHB, not like in serenity combo points style.

i still use jshb and never updated to serenity (i actually dont even know if i updated my jshb at all since the initial release)

i was actually getting worried that mop would break it and it would never get an update

glad to hear that this won't be the case. unfortunately i dont really have any suggestions since i only use it as a focus bar. best focus bar addon though!

To be fair, I only used your addon on occasion, and I never could get myself used to it. I don't need all the extra stuff you provide, some of them being kind of annoying to actually turn off. Ideal for me would be the default setup being only the bar and the focus count, but even then, I think the bar is too much.

I like that you're planning to go back to the basics atleast, the whole Serenity thing was way out of hand.

Anyway, my point is, it's easy enough just tracking MMM stacks yourself, and you don't even neccessarily need to know the stack count. The misdirect and call out stuff function is also not very good. People don't really need to know who you're misdirecting and how much threat it is, it's just annoying. If someone needs to know what spell you were using when, they can just check the logs or ask you after the combat's ended.

Ideally for me to use your addon would be to have an option to disable the bar and only have the focus indicator, because the bar is just too much. Say you've got a large ass bar in the middle of the screen showing your focus, you'll know your focus all the time sure, but the amount of time you spend watching the bar would account for time you could have spent doing more productive things. If you then claim that you don't watch the bar well, then what do you need it for?

I mean, if you get used to just swiftly looking at your current focus number and combining that with how long cooldown you've got left on explosive shot for example, and you quickly calculate out how many cobra shots you need to get off before Expl is up again, and if you can fit an arcane in there or something, you'll have so much more time.

I'm not meaning to bash your addon, sorry. I just don't think there's any actual point of having a bar showing your focus.

[Edit] Oh yeah, from screenshots I've seen of the addon, more visual customization would be appreciated I think.
    Last edited by Neteyes; 2012-07-31 at 10:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Neteyes View Post
    To be fair, I only used your addon on occasion, and I never could get myself used to it. I don't need all the extra stuff you provide, some of them being kind of annoying to actually turn off. Ideal for me would be the default setup being only the bar and the focus count, but even then, I think the bar is too much.

I like that you're planning to go back to the basics atleast, the whole Serenity thing was way out of hand.

Anyway, my point is, it's easy enough just tracking MMM stacks yourself, and you don't even neccessarily need to know the stack count. The misdirect and call out stuff function is also not very good. People don't really need to know who you're misdirecting and how much threat it is, it's just annoying. If someone needs to know what spell you were using when, they can just check the logs or ask you after the combat's ended.

Ideally for me to use your addon would be to have an option to disable the bar and only have the focus indicator, because the bar is just too much. Say you've got a large ass bar in the middle of the screen showing your focus, you'll know your focus all the time sure, but the amount of time you spend watching the bar would account for time you could have spent doing more productive things. If you then claim that you don't watch the bar well, then what do you need it for?

I mean, if you get used to just swiftly looking at your current focus number and combining that with how long cooldown you've got left on explosive shot for example, and you quickly calculate out how many cobra shots you need to get off before Expl is up again, and if you can fit an arcane in there or something, you'll have so much more time.

I'm not meaning to bash your addon, sorry. I just don't think there's any actual point of having a bar showing your focus.

[Edit] Oh yeah, from screenshots I've seen of the addon, more visual customization would be appreciated I think.
    The visual of seeing your bar hit the mark neccessary for explosive shot is much better and faster than having to calculate "23+14+4.5" focus from just the numbers. That's what it's there for. If you don't need the bar, then you don't need the addon at all - and for most people, the bar is usefull because their unitframes are "out of the way" (eg when using something that looks like a standard UI - you don't need your unitframes at all, they can be as far out of the screen in a corner as you want in PvE, as your health doesn't matter, thats the healers issue), and looking at the "Out of the way" spot is much worse for your visual than having it in the middle of your screen.

All the shiny stuff, serpent sting, BA timer, etc can go - thats completly unnessecary (SS is 100% uptime due to cobra shot, Black arrow can't be kept up 100% anyway, etc).

Wow.... I didn't even realize that JSHB actually still worked on live...

I plan on keeping most everything, but (for instance) the right-click MD is going to be a separate addon all together.

- Actually, I'm testing it now before I post it :-) It's pretty much done... Knocked it out today.

Now that I see replies, I have the announces in the MD addon and ON by default. Maybe turn them off by default? The config is not in-game for it, you can edit the LUA to change channels and such.

I was planning to change the stack bars to the Serenity style (I like them better), but I have not researched MoP enough to know if they are even needed any more.

Guess maybe I need to re-think JSHB a bit more and actually go back to and keep the entire style of options, etc. I was planning to just have a config.lua for setting up spells and all, for release at least. Maybe I should avoid the ACE libs for the GUI options and just use my old JSHB style?

As for customizing the graphics on the buttons and everything in the new JSHB, probably not going to happen. Allowing that adds a LOT of overhead. But maybe later.

Well.... more to think about....

Seriously, JSHB will probably have everything necessary hard-coded with a config.lua that can be easily edited, but I know most people don't like this.

Keep the comments and opinions coming, they will greatly help.

As for cosmetics. Expect the same look of JSHB, just a bit better - maybe with the Serenity stack reminders (if they are still needed).

---------- Post added 2012-07-31 at 07:05 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Crooklyn View Post
    i still use jshb and never updated to serenity (i actually dont even know if i updated my jshb at all since the initial release)

i was actually getting worried that mop would break it and it would never get an update

glad to hear that this won't be the case. unfortunately i dont really have any suggestions since i only use it as a focus bar. best focus bar addon though!
    What version are you using? Does the options UI work?

Quote Originally Posted by danightryder View Post
    All those things can be turned off in serenity which i loved about serenity.
    While they can be turned off in Serenity it requires navigating through at least three different menu and tier checkboxes. My vote:

- By default have all announcements turned off.
    - Have a "parent" checkbox for announcements that allows you to enable them, within the parent you then have the children announcements so that you can customize which ones are on.

For example:

- Enable Announcements (Yes/No)
    -- Misdirection (Yes/No)
    --- Ability cast on target (Yes/No)
    --- Amount of threat transferred (Yes/No)
    --- End of ability (Yes/No)
    -- Dispel/Tranq (Yes/No)
    --- Shot Fired (Yes/No)
    --- Buff removed (Yes/No)

Does that make sense?

Deleted
    hey =] first of all welcome back and i ADORE your addon =]
    okay here's my ideas and info =]
    what i use:
    focus bar
    shot timmer
    CC timers
    the % health of target on the bar, i now look at this instead of unit frames =p would break me if this option was removed
    enrage alerts and what i can remove (this is AMAZING in pvp and i couldn't play without them)
    Hunters mark aspect and auras tracker
    CD timmer bar (i prefer the barebones of the cd timer bar provided by serenity than forte x even though i mainly use it to track cds not being shown on my bars eg: Feign death / flare / camo)
    I change alot of the border , colouring etc of the focus bar to suit elvui so i would be greatly greatly disappointed to see this go

my ideas
    stock pack : focus bar, swing timmer, GUI and aspect / aura tracker
    pvp module : The CC tracker comes from here and now also shows scatter shot mokey stun, intimidation and silencing shot, enrage alert and what buffs can be tranqed, you could even add in a feature like the addon "Losecontrol" here =]
    timmer module : for duration timer and cooldown timmer

Thank for this wonderful addon =]

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Neteyes View Post

Not to bash your post too much but doesn't this totally contradict itself. You want more visual customisation... but without the bar?

A bar is a non-trivial means to show the most relevant information. You can make it as small as you like, and customise it to show the 'mark' for your primary shot, plus a 'mark' for your secondary shot, aswell as assigning a color for each of these ranges. I personally have mine situated just below my characters feet. It's small enough for me not to miss any mechanics, but large enough to allow for making shot decisions.

For those not familiar here it is in action in my UI

http://i.imgur.com/48lk6.jpg

It's a turquoise when I have sufficient focus to hit arcane shot
    Light green when I can hit an explosive shot (but will go under 44 focus if I use an arcane)
    And red if I'm under 44 focus.

Not to mention there is a visual indicator (not seen on the screenshot as my cobra has just ended), which shows how much focus you will have when the current cobra/steady shot goes off.

On what planet is that bar too distracting?

I just want to say that the bar alone is literally the most perfect addon a hunter could wish for. Kudos.

Serenity has a maintainer, so I'm not touching it as it is. I need to center my efforts on one or the other. I do not like the amount of customization I added to Serenity (was done because of requests).

JSHB will have (upon new version release) what a hunter needs to RAID. Other things like pvp stuff will come as extra addons to JSHB.

JS' Hunter Bar Misdirection is 100% complete and works well. Serenity's right-click MD was broken after I quit maintaining it. This one works. Tested with blizz frames, Grid, ElvUI. If another Unit/Raid frame addon does not work, I'll fix it.

The PvP tranq-ables will be a separate addon, maybe with something else.

The main stuff will stay.

Here's what I have planned for the main JSHB addon:

Focus Bar w/number, prediction, main spell tick mark, secondary spell tick mark, target health %, stacks indicator (I personally dont find the stacks indicator useful)
    Freezing Trap, Wyvern sting break timers.
    Aspect Indicator.
    Hunter's Mark indicator.
    Tranq notification indicator (as it works in Serenity).
    Timers, like JSHB, less customization. (These will be hard-coded and editable in the lua at first)
    Unlock and movement.
    ...what am I missing?

Removing:
    Alerts
    All chat notification by default (may leave an option to turn it on in the lua - not sure)
    ..maybe more.

I'm wondering what else I would want to make a separate addon besides the right-click MD? help ?

So this is where I am, rambling as I think about this before I jump in. JSHB was a RAID utility above and beyone anything else. PvP was secondary, so I can add the pvp stuff later If needed.

Keep the posts coming, it's helping set the future of the addon ;-)

And thank you all!

The reason I find the stack indicator usefull is mostly BM and MM - for BM, it currently helps you to keep track of how many frenzy stacks the pet has, so you know when to delay focus fire and use focus fire due to beastial wrath. For MM, it helps you to predict roughly when you'll get your aimed shot proc, and helps improve the movement that is otherwise quite bothersome as MM - it also helps timing it so you can unload huge amounts of bursts with a little luck (steady shot till you get 100 focus, fire a last steady, start charging aimed shot, when the steady hits there's a 60% chance it'll trigger your instant aimed shot. Follow the charged cast up with the instant aimed, finish off with a chimera shot for epic burst, 2x aimed shots landing within few miliseconds of each other, and a chim shot following a second after).
    For surv, it's more of a convinience - you can probably figure out how many stacks of lock and load you've got left .

Perhaps, if you do not like the stack indicator, make it something you can turn on and off - and perhaps build in two of them, as we get a new "free shot" mechanic in MOP, Thrill of the hunt - 3 stacks of multishot/arcane shot reduced by 20 focus cost.

Ha! Great news in the morning