Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti View Post
    I don't mind white heroes so much lately. Maybe it's because the grey "anti-hero" has seen so much use lately that it, itself, is turning cliche.

But I still don't like the "perfect in every way" that these are presented with.

Or maybe it's because writers aren't doing so well or aren't finding a medium for characters. I haven't touched GW:2 yet but the way things are...seems interesting. Not sure if it's worth the buy yet ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron View Post
    I think creating any type of character is fine but I find Heroes much more interesting IMO and rarely grey. I don't hate them but they're kind of hard to relate but that's for another thread.
    I think we're saying the same thing, yh lol.
    Conceptually there is nothing wrong with any choice. I like there to be variety and realistic choices. The true valor and heroism of being good is kinda groundless when it's the only real option given to you though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Squirrelbanes View Post
    I think we're saying the same thing, yh lol.
    Conceptually there is nothing wrong with any choice. I like there to be variety and realistic choices. The true valor and heroism of being good is kinda groundless when it's the only real option given to you though.
    No disagreements there. Not really much of a choice when there isn't anymore options.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron View Post
    No disagreements there. Not really much of a choice when there isn't anymore options.
    Yh exactly.
    I like that you can make the character different though with the charm, dignity and ferocity choice...maybe that will become more prominent in later stages of the game.

Another emotional connection is to your opponents. I noticed races have a good and bad division to them and only a few of the races were completely evil like the Krait.

The nightmare court were also a group I liked because they were pure evil and I didn't feel conflicted in anyway slaughtering them all. But then you have races like the Hylek and sometimes you are helping out a good bunch of them, other times you are killing off a group attacking a human outpost. I like that not all races are just evil and there is this grey zone.

I like the skritt I think they are funny little things who get excited about shinies and stealing asura technology. I want to help them out as much as possible and enjoyed all the dynamic events in the 15-25 sylvari zone. chances are I'll spend a bit of time in there rushing from DE to DE defending their city.
    Last edited by MrSerious; 2012-08-01 at 07:53 AM.

I don't want to be hero in any game so there won't be any emotional connection between me or my thief character. How can a thief be hero?
    Last edited by Kuntantee; 2012-08-01 at 12:31 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuntantee View Post
    I don't want to be hero in any game so there won't be any emotional connection between me or my thief character. How can a thief be hero?
    Aladdin

Catwoman

Rouge
    Last edited by Durzlla; 2012-08-01 at 01:24 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuntantee View Post
    It worked pretty well for Aladdin. Save the kingdom, marry the princess.

I'd consider Robin Hood a thief too, he did the hero thing pretty well.

I'm sure there's more. Thieves aren't bad by default and actually lend themselves well to being a hero due to circumstances.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't actually think that by disallowing evil options you're inherently lessening the emotional connection. If you want to tell a story that doesn't ask for evil option, there's little point in offering them, since you'll have to revert them later for the sake of the story.

Where I think the issue lies is that by having more "actual story" (story as giving in the game) you lessen the "head-story" (story in your head). I believe that open-world games in general benefit more from the head-story.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not about the lack of evil options, it's about the lack of realistic character development. Everything to a character has to have a reason behind it. Eddard Starks are extremely rare, and typically fail when confronted with enemies that have realistic reasons behind their supposed evil.

I'm just... very much "over" the idea of white vs black representations of good and evil. It's all about perspective, and I keep hoping that humanity will start to teach this to children properly.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-08-01 at 03:36 PM.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    It's not about the lack of evil options, it's about the lack of realistic character development. Everything to a character has to have a reason behind it. Eddard Starks are extremely rare, and typically fail when confronted with enemies that have realistic reasons behind their supposed evil.

I'm just... very much "over" the idea of white vs black representations of good and evil. It's all about perspective, and I keep hoping that humanity will start to teach this to children properly.
    Once gain, BE GREY!! God, they have so many grey area options it's ridiculous!! ESPECIALLY if you choose the right personality type... However I am very much sick of black vs white in fantasy anythin and really do hope it gets blended more... Sure there will always BE black and white there's no doubting that, we just need some more shades of grey in there as well....
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

10+ Year Old Account
    What I have a problem with is that my street rat thief supposedly spend a large portion of his life in a gang, and he's a perfectly upstanding citizen of the law, with absolutely no qualms about doing "the right thing" and absolutely no perceived turmoil over making choices that should be tough.
    It's just... unrealistic. O_o
    Where is it stated as a human that your character was with a gang? In the intro it simply says (paraphrasing) "My life's been tough, I've sent the worst this city has to offer bleeding (criminals and gang members), I'm tired of living hand to mouth"

As a street rat you're not a criminal, you are simply poor and defend yourself. There is no sudden change when you get into the game, your character's motivations make perfect sense.

Personally, as a human, I felt that my character was simply fulfilling their manifesto from the character intro. "Help the people" and to "help the people" is to serve the Queen and the Seraphs, and they uphold the law. It doesn't seem comic book like to me.

Of course I didn't get to the 2nd arc as a human where your other choice (Circus, Dead Sister, Orphan) takes effect, and the 3 of those seem purely selfish to me, I'm not quite sure how any of those could become black/white hero.
    "Questions are for those seeking answers. Those who have answers are those who have asked questions." -Mike R. (Malthurius)

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe you missed it, but it's rather explicitly stated you were part of that gang...
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe you missed it, but it's rather explicitly stated you were part of that gang...
    If you can find me a source, then fine, but I don't remember it. Your friend Quinn is the one that's in the gang, you just stick up for him. (And he's not really a hard criminal, just a guy caught up in the wrong crowd)
    Last edited by Malthurius; 2012-08-01 at 06:11 PM.
    "Questions are for those seeking answers. Those who have answers are those who have asked questions." -Mike R. (Malthurius)

10+ Year Old Account
    No, Quinn is in the gang and you're always bailing him out, they -tried- to get you into the gang but you never joined them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    No, Quinn is in the gang and you're always bailing him out, they -tried- to get you into the gang but you never joined them.
    Not in the personal story you witnessed. I said it's explicitly stated that you were part of that gang.

Quote Originally Posted by rhinomatic View Post
    It worked pretty well for Aladdin. Save the kingdom, marry the princess.

I'd consider Robin Hood a thief too, he did the hero thing pretty well.

I'm sure there's more. Thieves aren't bad by default and actually lend themselves well to being a hero due to circumstances.
    I would prefer a evil thief tho

10+ Year Old Account
    Not in the personal story you witnessed. I said it's explicitly stated that you were part of that gang.
    I watched videos of the personal story on youtube, and they never say you were in a gang. Even then, you aren't exactly a selfless hero in the story from what it looked like to me. You mostly just give information to the Seraph and get Quinn out of trouble.

At 12:00 in this video your character says you used to be in a gang, but you're in disguise, and you say it to keep your cover from being blown.
    http://youtu.be/LmmXZrOCHJ0

I've re-watched the entire street rat story arc, no sincere mentions of your character being in a gang or being any kind of criminal, actually the opposite.
    Last edited by Malthurius; 2012-08-01 at 07:02 PM.

As a Human Guardian, I was planning on being a white knight anyway, following the rules and helping my people at every cost. I hope my Sylvari Mesmer is going to be a bit more chaotic, though, if that's an option.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah and I'm saying you're WRONG, rewatch the video and redo the story your character doesn't say he's currently, or ever was, in a gang. The only gang affiliation you have is fighting them and bailing Quinn out.