Page 1 of 42
... LastLast

Well, its free to play now.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/ea-exp...190900648.html
    http://investor.ea.com/releasedetail...leaseID=696947
    There ya go.
    http://www.swtor.com/free
    http://www.swtor.com/support/helpcenter/6449
    Subscription — A service designed for players who want unrestricted access to all the game features via ongoing subscription or by redeeming a Game Time Card. In addition to gaining access to all game content as our current subscribers do now, subscribers will receive ongoing monthly grants of Cartel Coins, the new virtual currency that will be introduced later this fall. Cartel Coins can be used to purchase valuable in-game items including customizable gear and convenience features that will enhance the game play experience.
    Free-To-Play — The first 50 levels will be Free-to-Play, with restrictions on access to new content and advanced player features. Some restrictions can be "unlocked" with Cartel Coins.

As the first step towards adding the new Free-to-Play option this fall, Star Wars: The Old Republic will go on sale in August for $14.99 USD, including one-month of free subscription.

Current and former players will also find additional benefits as part of this program. BioWare will be increasing the frequency of game content updates, with the first of many new releases coming in August. In addition, current subscribers will receive Cartel Coin grants and qualify for access to special in-game items. Even former players who re-activate now will qualify for special benefits. To learn more about these rewards, please visit www.StarWarstheOldRepublic.com/FREE.

Star Wars: The Old Republic is one of the most critically acclaimed MMOs of all time, having won MSNBC's "Game of the Year" award in 2011, "Editor's Choice" awards from IGN, PC Gamer and "Best MMO of 2011" awards from Game Informer, GameSpy, AOL Massively, Ten Ton Hammer and more. The game is set thousands of years before the classic Star Wars movies, with the Galactic Republic and Sith Empire locked in the middle of an epic, galactic war. Players choose one of eight iconic Star Wars character classes, including the Jedi Knight, Jedi Consular, Smuggler, Trooper, Sith Warrior, Sith Inquisitor, Bounty Hunter and Imperial Agent, becoming the hero or villain of their own personal Star Wars saga.

For more information on Star Wars: The Old Republic, please visit www.StarWarsTheOldRepublic.com/FREE, follow the game on Twitter at http://twitter.com/swtor or "Like" Star Wars: The Old Republic on Facebook at http://facebook.com/starwarstheoldrepublic. For additional press assets, please visit http://info.ea.com.
    As for payment model
    Its all 3 models smushed into one.

You have to buy to play it (15 dollars).
    You than have full access to leveling to 50 and limited access to everything but raids which are fully restricted.
    You can sub for full access.
    Last edited by Bardarian; 2012-07-31 at 08:23 PM.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

its F2P up to level 50 come fall.

Yea, Just read that.

Now to see what really happens to the game.

Will BW hold up there end of the deal and will we actually see this:

Current and former players will also find additional benefits as part of this program. BioWare will be increasing the frequency of game content updates, with the first of many new releases coming in August
    at this pace:

Since launch, we've been listening to feedback from our fans and adding new content and refining The Old Republic at a breakneck pace.

The first 50 levels will be Free-to-Play. This does not make sence

edit: since they are adding more levels
    Last edited by Odegon; 2012-07-31 at 07:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by quras View Post

at this pace:
    To be fair. They have done a lot of work under the hood. The game runs amazingly better than it did at launch. Almost every patch has an engine optimization of some sort.

---------- Post added 2012-07-31 at 07:35 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Odegon View Post
    The first 50 levels will be Free-to-Play. This does not make sence
    Mekeb has a level cap increase.

So you won't be able to access the new planet as free to play I suppose.

Deleted
    I'm a Sad panda so sad :/

It's official. SWTOR is the biggest bust in MMO history.

<Mod Edit: I'd suggest posting constructively, trolling these forums won't end well>
    Last edited by Azuri; 2012-07-31 at 07:48 PM.

Will actually try this game out, but from everything I heard about it, and EA being behind everything, I will not give them a penny in subscription fees. After the whole BF3 fiasco, I am never giving EA another penny of my money.
    I am not Voting Trump because I support him, its about keeping a Career Criminal out of office that mishandles classified information.
    Beta males can cry on how I will not vote for their brood mother.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    Have you even considered the perspective of the 'violent' muslims?

I thought ppl hyped this game to be another "wow killer."

Quote Originally Posted by Melkandor View Post
    Will actually try this game out, but from everything I heard about it, and EA being behind everything, I will not give them a penny in subscription fees. After the whole BF3 fiasco, I am never giving EA another penny of my money.
    It's not even about the subscription. I'd pay if it was actually good, but the game is not worth a sub. Not even close. Maybe more people will try this game out when it becomes F2P.

Quote Originally Posted by sTyLnK View Post
    I have to agree with this sadly. Everybody was calling it a "WoW killer". Every time somebody called it a WoW killer on these forums, I always laughed about it, because I knew this game was going to be over hyped, and too much hype is bad for a game usually.
    I am not Voting Trump because I support him, its about keeping a Career Criminal out of office that mishandles classified information.
    Beta males can cry on how I will not vote for their brood mother.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    Have you even considered the perspective of the 'violent' muslims?

10+ Year Old Account
    Well... crap.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

Deleted
    You still have to pay to access all the content.

Im subed to SWTOR untill the end of step i haven't played it much in the past couple weeks cause *im dieing to play guild wars 2 lol* but SWTOR is a good game and it going f2p will make me play it more when i take breaks from Gw2.

This is interesting i hope its not going to be super limited like DCU *there f2p setup is a joke*
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2012-07-31 at 07:44 PM.

I will soon be subscription free and my favorite mmo will join my collection of F2P and B2P games!

!

I'M SO HAPPY.

I LOVE YOU SWTOR!!!

Deleted
    And now all the trolls are coming !

I don't know.

They said that about LOTRO but that game did nothing but grow once it went F2P.

6 months into the f2p model, "OMG SWTOR MAKING SO MUCH MONEY!"... if they can sustain it to make a profit/recover expenses is the question.

Quote Originally Posted by quras View Post
    I don't know.

They said that about LOTRO but that game did nothing but grow once it went F2P.
    Most MMO's, regardless of model/player base, grow constantly. It's only until the developer abandons it does it stop.

Comparing to LOTR and SW licenses go, I don't think LOTR is close to what Bioware had to pay for SW, though I'm sure someone will correct me.
    Last edited by Monstercloud; 2012-07-31 at 07:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nindoriel View Post
    You still have to pay to access all the content.
    Yeah, but that's usually how F2P works. You get to play it for free, but with restrictions. The thing is, games that go F2P end up being fairly profitable because people will shell out 5 bucks here and there for different items/mounts etc. It all adds up pretty fast for the company profit wise.