Thread: Starting RIFT..

Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Starting RIFT..

As I've mainly been a F2P-MMO player for the last 3-4 years (after I played Everquest 1 for 6-7 years), I've finally decided to make the jump back into a subscription based MMO (Tired of the OP cash shop in some (read: most) games) and I was looking for some advice; mainly what is a class/"calling" that not only excels in endgame PvE, but also PvP?

Previously in most games, I've rolled as some sort of Ranged DPS (Mage/Archer) or Tank/Melee DPS (Warriors), but I'm unsure as to what is a viable choice (read: not overpowered and faceroll with no skill) to pick up and learn to play in RIFT.

So far on a trial account, I've played a mage to 20 and I really enjoy the amount of burst/sustained damage I can pump out depending on what souls I pick..How viable are mages endgame?

Thanks in advance!

Gonna spam the thread for a sec.

RIFT is down to under 300,000 active subs. I suggest picking up a different MMO. From what I played of it (got to around 30) it wasn't too great. Like a bad WoW. The one thing I did love about it was the Beastmaster class. A 2 hander melee hunter rocked my socks.

I recommend TERA. It's much prettier than RIFT and the combat is much different and more fun, imo.
    I also recommend World of Warcraft. Mists of Pandaria looks amazing and I can't wait.

Let's not go into game threads and post false information (there is no basis for the 300k number), then proceed to trash talk the game and promote other games. These types of posts only serve as flamebait and aren't productive at all. If you want to critique a game, there are plenty of productive ways to do so. Infracted. -Edge
    Last edited by Edge-; 2012-08-01 at 05:19 PM.

Ive played rift for a few months , i realy liked how it was, but it was somewhat diffrent then wow, and most of the class combos back then felt realy alike.. but with diffrent names, Annyway im not sure how the classes are now a days, But if your more into the sosial of it all, i met alot more mature ppl in rift that i did in Wow. All the way to heroics(they arent named heroics there.. but i forgot what it is.). Annyway i heared alot of ppl that returned to rift was happy. They update ALOT more ofthen then World of warcraft, and they got dyes and "transmogs"(again diffrent name, but i dont remember).

As in all MMO's they always ballance the classes for pvp and pve, But my impression so far was, if you dont have pvp gear, you have realy no chanse whatsoever to kill someone with pvp gear. (Again though i played before they added Looking for group tool etc, so its a while ago) But i literally got 1 shot alot of times in world pvp.

What i realy liked about the game was the Rift hunting.. together with the world events, it was exiting to run around close rifts, group up and kill the bigger bosses(Even at lower level!) and the world pvp... I miss the times when 2 big raids formed for rift hunting and they would meet at the last boss and either.. No one would kill eatcother and just go for the boss, or it was totoall havoc and no one got the boss the first try.

Id recomend rift, if World of warcraft is to slow and Dumbed down for you.

Quote Originally Posted by remione View Post
    As I've mainly been a F2P-MMO player for the last 3-4 years (after I played Everquest 1 for 6-7 years), I've finally decided to make the jump back into a subscription based MMO (Tired of the OP cash shop in some (read: most) games) and I was looking for some advice; mainly what is a class/"calling" that not only excels in endgame PvE, but also PvP?

Previously in most games, I've rolled as some sort of Ranged DPS (Mage/Archer) or Tank/Melee DPS (Warriors), but I'm unsure as to what is a viable choice (read: not overpowered and faceroll with no skill) to pick up and learn to play in RIFT.

So far on a trial account, I've played a mage to 20 and I really enjoy the amount of burst/sustained damage I can pump out depending on what souls I pick..How viable are mages endgame?

Thanks in advance!
    All four calling have their place in endgame PVE, and you'll never find a group that doesn't have a mixture of them all. I wouldn't worry too much about that really.

Regarding PVP, warriors are currently a bit too powerful (my main is a rank 50 warrior). With a healer they become unstoppable although without heals they can be taken down quite easily. The class which I see the most crying from is mages, but I don't buy that they're underpowered. Clerics currently struggle in any role other than healer, and melee rogues aren't really very good right now either unless using a tank spec, but you'll find a large number of them using ranged spec. Honestly, the real reason I think that cleric DPS builds and rogue melee builds struggle right now is because they're not really comparable with warriors, and it's more a problem with them being too powerful than anything else.

I know you said you didn't want to play a faceroll class/spec, but should you change your mind google 'duracell cleric build'. You'll be disgusted by how fast you mow through groups of mobs. It was wonderful.

Quote Originally Posted by Broloth View Post

RIFT is down to under 300,000 active subs. I suggest picking up a different MMO. From what I played of it (got to around 30) it wasn't too great. Like a bad WoW. The one thing I did love about it was the Beastmaster class. A 2 hander melee hunter rocked my socks.

I recommend TERA. It's much prettier than RIFT and the combat is much different and more fun, imo.
    I also recommend World of Warcraft. Mists of Pandaria looks amazing and I can't wait.
    I'm going to stop you right there and make two points.

We don't actually have any proof anywhere of how many subscribers has, but Rift has a strong, stable community and a development team which is clearly committed to releasing great new content regularly, with a brand new expansion on the way soon too. This more than can be said for the vast majority of MMORPGs out there are there's nobody I'd rather give my sub fee to than Trion. In EU Tera is almost dead already due to a lack of interest from the development team.

Even if Rift does have around 250,000 active players, how is that an issue? How many players do you need to enjoy an MMORPG? WoW has tainted peoples' view on what makes a successful MMORPG, and if you go into any new game comparing the playerbase to WoW you'll never enjoy another game again.

Deleted

RIFT is down to under 300,000 active subs. I suggest picking up a different MMO.
    EVE also has ~300k subs. You think that's dying as well?

On topic:
    Rift is a VERY good MMORPG. Trion actually regularly update it, adding loads of free new content. The endgame PvE is actually good, unlike what WoW has become, and there's LOADS to do at max level. It's f2p until level 20 so my advice would be to just give it a go! Bear in mind though that the game really begins at 50, as with many other MMOs of its type.

I really wouldn't recommend WoW. Just because Rift isn't dominating in subs doesn't mean it's a bad game, it's just that lots of people have already dedicated themselves to WoW or another game, if you are enjoying yourself then stick to Rift. From what I played of Rift I really enjoyed it however I couldn't keep up with the sub payments at the time due to playing WoW at the time.

Hell if you want something similar to Rift there's always Tera or guild wars 2 coming soon

Quote Originally Posted by Slashgordon View Post
    EVE also has ~300k subs. You think that's dying as well?

On topic:
    Rift is a VERY good MMORPG. Trion actually regularly update it, adding loads of free new content. The endgame PvE is actually good, unlike what WoW has become, and there's LOADS to do at max level. It's f2p until level 20 so my advice would be to just give it a go! Bear in mind though that the game really begins at 50, as with many other MMOs of its type.
    A few fallacies in this I'd like to address.

1. Rift tried to directly compete with World of Warcraft. Eve didn't.
    2. Eve has had a very steady sub number for a long time. Rift has not.
    3. Subjective claim is subjective.
    4. Wow's f2p until level 20 as well, so, OP, give it a go.
    5. In my expirience, because Azeroth was completely redone, the game really begins at 20 because the stories and quests are so excellent.

Deleted

Pretty useless comment as you've only played a extremley small portion of the game and rom what it sound's like you played it quite a long time ago

RIFT is still going extremley strong, still bringing out large patches every 8-10 weeks with an Expansion on the Horizon, which look's like it will raise the bar even higher for MMORPG's.

RIFT's Endgame PVE Content just totally and utterly puts WOW's to shame to be honest

Below are link's of a few examples... these are just a few of hundreds of great bosses+ecounters.

Instanced Raid Bosses-

Akylios

Laethys

Soulrender Zilas

Dragon Eggs

Zone Event Bosses (Open World):

Upcoming in Storm Legion:

Volan

A couple of the current ones:

Scerrion

Ochrin

Also to answer your first question, I play a mage at Endgame, they are extremley viable, the hardest rotation+ spec known as Defilemancer is the strongest ST spec in the game but it has quite a complicated rotation that takes quite a bit of practice if your up for a challenge :P
    Last edited by mmoc318c19303a; 2012-08-01 at 08:40 AM.

Started out in EQ too, as an Enc and I can tell you this, when you max level its pretty close to EQ, PA(which is same as AA in EQ) decent raids and I also play a mage and they make the best DPS and best healers right now, In my raids at least
    Also its the only MMO out there that gives decent updates every 2ish months hence 9 patches in a little over a year compared to say 4 patches in WOW.

Ive been having loads of fun playing my mag since I came back to the game. But ya for endgame everyone has their place in raids (even 10 mans).

You know for awhile rifts success made me a bit nervous BUT if they were going to shut down or Is doing terrible don't you think they would go F2P? Also so many people said swtor would be the death of rift and now soon swtor is going F2P. So with that it kind of makes me wonder if rift is more successful than it seems.

Deleted
    It was extremley successfull business wise, it exceeded profit expectations and made over $100 Million Revenue in 2011, If you also read that article they $85 Million additional funding so yes... Rift will not be going F2P anytime soon,

Also if you read this article, Lars butler (Big Cheese at Trion Worlds) pinpoints the failings of SWTOR and 38 Studio's.
    Last edited by mmoc318c19303a; 2012-08-01 at 12:06 PM.

10+ Year Old Account

I don't want to live on this planet anymore >__<

Rift is really freakin good. WoW is horrible atm... im still subbed and don't even log on (Need to fix that lol). There is nothing to do and if there was something to do like questing, id rather do that in TSW, its way better.

Deleted

Hmm, what is your purpose here?
    I wont bother to guess.
    The OP said that he picked RIFT already.
    He was asking advices regarding the class/role to pick and played the game all the way till level 20 through Rift lite.

Your feedback also regarding the game is completely biased and unsuported, aka i consider it trolling, not to take it further and actually call it for what it is really, a flamebite!

"Like a bad WoW"? Care to ellaborate or should we take your words of wisdom for granded?

Also regarding Tera, i ve herd a lot about the cool combat system and saw couple of videos describbing it.
    But my idea of mmo rpg doesnt start with high hills and big boobs, while the gear is decorating a body rather than "protecting" it. The higher gear set the more of the skin is visible!
    For the male models better not to start talking.

At least there was something pleasant to see in your post.
    Your level 30 toon is picking dust in a moisty cellar somewhere in Telara.

RIFT has solid PvE.

However, it lost almost all of its PvP subscribers after the first 2, maybe 3 content patches because Warriors were ridiculously overpowered (partly due to to bugs) at release, and then Adam Gershowitz, the guy who made Bright Wizards overpowered in WAR, pulled the same stunt with Pyromancers and gave them permanent CC immunity that could only be countered by having 2 Void Knights and the ability to one shot everything with an instant cast ability (also party due to a bug).
    Last edited by Feranor; 2012-08-01 at 12:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Feranor View Post
    RIFT has solid PvE.

However, it lost almost all of its PvP subscribers after the first 2, maybe 3 content patches because Warriors were ridiculously overpowered (partly due to to bugs) at release, and then Adam Gershowitz, the guy who made Bright Wizards overpowered in WAR, pulled the same stunt with Pyromancers and gave them permanent CC immunity that could only be countered by having 2 Void Knights and the ability to one shot everything with an instant cast ability (also party due to a bug).
    Weird because the 200v200v200 Conquest matches are filled within about 3s, not kidding. PvP still isn't RIFT's biggest feature but it's not as wildly imbalanced as it used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarien View Post
    Weird because the 200v200v200 Conquest matches are filled within about 3s, not kidding. PvP still isn't RIFT's biggest feature but it's not as wildly imbalanced as it used to be.
    Heh, I wanted to try those out last weekend when RIFT was free:

- logged on
    - Sanctum completely void of players except for some random LvL 20 Cleric
    - Corgis everywhere
    - huge Elf woman talks about paperchase and pony shows
    - tried to get into Conquest, randomly chose a faction
    - nothing happened, so I porticulum'd to Stillmoor
    - saw some long-ass timer ticking down, apparently indicating the start of the next "match"
    - guild mates on VoIP were cracking up as I reported live
    - logged off
    Last edited by Feranor; 2012-08-01 at 01:02 PM.

Play to cap, try the end game pvp and/or pve, and if you don't like it quit.

A few fallacies in this I'd like to address.

3. Subjective claim is subjective.
    5. In my expirience, because Azeroth was completely redone, the game really begins at 20 because the stories and quests are so excellent.
    And... Your statements aren't subjective either?

On topic: Rift is a fine game, and all I did was play at launch with a free trial. While my opinion may not be worth much, given how little I saw, I definitely felt it was worth more of a chance than I gave it.

Go for it OP.