Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Because my like totally fashion is on the line. How could anyone ever see me express my eloquent thoughts on such a rubbish Lenovo. I demand that my fingers never grace over such a piece of garbage like a PC.

/sarcasm end
    /wrist

Quote Originally Posted by reohh View Post
    Holy shit, apple fan boy much? I wasnt bashing macs at all. I was making fun of the people that buy them for microsoft office and facebook. If you are going to buy a mac for things it is meant to do (like photoshop and final cut pro) then its all good. No need to bash windows for no reason. You obviously have had terrible experiences with shit companies like Dell and Lenovo (el oh fucking el). My HP laptop is 3 years old and runs like new.

Why you so mad at microsoft? You are just in this thread to bash window PC's, and not to contribute anything even remotely intelligent.
    Who cares what anyone buys it for? I spent $2,500 on my iMac and bought a Thunderbolt display so I could check my email and use iPhoto on two big screens. You mad? Windows gets bogged down very easily and it has a tendency to have annoying issues. I paid a premium to have my computer work all the time and to have an OS I prefer.

Why you so mad at people who pay a premium to check Facebook on an extremely well built computer? Are you also mad at people for driving a BMW instead of a Ford?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by madethisfor1post View Post
    You pay to be inducted to a cult that won't laugh at you when you break out that laptop at a Starbucks you aspiring poet you.
    This made me LOL for like 5 minutes, and is totally true.

Quote Originally Posted by Syrrah View Post
    Who cares what anyone buys it for? I spent $2,500 on my iMac and bought a Thunderbolt display so I could check my email and use iPhoto on two big screens. You mad? Windows gets bogged down very easily and it has a tendency to have annoying issues. I paid a premium to have my computer work all the time and to have an OS I prefer.

Why you so mad at people who pay a premium to check Facebook on an extremely well built computer? Are you also mad at people for driving a BMW instead of a Ford?
    I built a computer with Windows 7 on it and it has the same build quality as a Mac. Literally the ONLY difference between windows and mac is the OS. Also Im not bashing macs but in your post you are bashing windows.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Festisio View Post
    Pretentious people don't want to be seen in Starbucks writing their novel on a poor man's Asus, or editing their next film on a Lenovo.
    Last edited by Varyk; 2012-08-01 at 06:22 PM.

BMW has clear advantages over a ford, it isn't just a brand name. And since when do people have this universal issue of windows "bogging down"? All I have ever owned is windows and I have never had a problem with the computer slowing down noticeably unless I got a virus or it aged ~3-4 years.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    Another reason they cost so much is support. Most manufacturers either charge for tech support or outsource it to India (because too many people are cheapskates and dont want to pay more than $400 for a computer) where you dont get any useful help. The help you get when you call India is worse than just googling your problem and finding an answer. Apple has excellent support and I believe is based in the US where you can understand the people you call and they arent just reading a ascript and not answering your questions. You can also take a faulty Apple product to an Apple store and get it fixed on the spot instead of calling to get a RMA sending it in, and waiting 3 weeks for the repair like you do with many other vendors. Dell for instance offers in home repair but yyou pay a few hundred dollars more if you want that level of support on your new computer.
    Not were I live.

Basicly you pay for the name thats it. a 1k mac i can easily build for 250 at the most.
    Inactive Wow Player Raider.IO | Inactive D3 Player | Permanent Retired EVE Player | Inactive Wot Player | Retired Openraid Raid Leader| Inactive Overwatch Player | Inactive HotS player | Youtube / Twitter | Steam | My Setup

10+ Year Old Account

So. . . you paid $2500 to check your e-mail. Congratulations, you know nothing about computers.

Also, what you paid for, I could build an equivalent PC for $1200.

Congrats on bashing Windows. Are you mad that you overpaid and don't know how to use a PC? If you knew anything about the two OSs, you'd know how easy they are to maintain. Tbh, you sound like you're in your early 20s. I'd think that money is a big deal. I just think you made a horrible buy, ya know, because it's Mac.

Also I love people that compares Macs to a $400 Dell, Acer, or Lenovo laptop. But I am done with this thread. I guess I'm just too ignorant as to think I can actually have an intelligent mac vs. windows discussion.

Deleted
    The thing about Mac pricing is that it's not quite as extravagant as some people like to tell themselves (and anyone else unlucky enough to be in earshot of them).

For example, when the mid-2010 27" iMac refresh happened it was actually priced very competitively. At the time I was looking to buy a new main workstation and the only way I could get a similar (at-the-time-latest-gen (just released) CI7, 27" IPS monitor etc) setup for less than 90% of the iMac's price was if I bought parts from several different places and pretty much only looked at cycles/bytes per dollar. Any pre-built machines with comparable hardware + 27" IPS monitor came out to approximately the same as the iMac. So, I like OS X, not because I'm retarded, gay or blinded by fanboyism but because it's a modern UNIX operating system that requires very little tweaking or configuration. Yes, I bought that iMac, it still works like a charm and I have no regrets.

Now, had I waited a few months the iMac would still have had the same price while a DIY machine would've been a couple of hundred dollars cheaper but my point is, due to timing issues it was actually a good buy.

A lot of the younger gamers who complain about Macs also seem to make a few mistakes in their reasoning:
    1) Their use case is everyone's use case. Not everyone only cares about bytes/cycles per dollar, there are other factors as well, including system integration which is something Macs are still much much better at than your average OEM Wintel machine.
    2) That OS X is as locked down as iOS, simply not true in any way, it's definitely more open than Windows (if you are about to reply with some rant about how this statement proves I'm a brainwashed fanboy I'd like you to first investigate properly how much of Windows is open source, now compare this to OS X. Also, don't bring up Quicktime video, that's a long-dead format, Apple's defaults for video and audio these days are MPEG-4 and AAC. Oh yeah, and it's been quite a while since they were able to negotiate away the DRM from the music they sell through the iTunes store. And once again, we're talking about OS X, not iOS).
    3) That anyone who owns a Mac is computer illiterate. Just go to any developer conference and look at the laptops used by professional developers there, it's very likely a very high percentage of them are using Macbook Pro laptops running OS X. This obviously isn't because developers are generally more computer illiterate than the average teenage gamer but because a modern UNIX system running on hardware it was specifically tailored to run on is attractive to developers and if you're making $75k/year or more and you buy a new laptop every couple of years then forking out another few hundred dollars for it to better fit what you want makes sense, after all, you're probably going to be using it for hours every day.
    Last edited by mmocfcbe462c17; 2012-08-01 at 06:32 PM.

10+ Year Old Account

Bogged down? You're doing it wrong if you're computer is getting bogged down, I have a computer in my basement that's 10 years old that works just as well as it did the first YEAR I bought it, and it sure as hell wasn't a mac. And no, we're not mad at you, we pity you for your blind misguided fan boy tendencies. Macs have virtually zero upsides to any other computer.

Deleted
    This image is very convincing. Even though I personally don't have much experience with Macs. So don't bash me if you feel offended by that.

Cause you pay for a logo on your laptop.

10+ Year Old Account
    my sager will destroy anything in apple's line in terms of performance (including the pro towers) but it doesn't come with the sturdy aluminium chassis, or nifty magnetic power cord, thats why i have both in my backpack, when i need convenience, i use my macbookpro, when i need to do anything productive, i use my sager

apple does have several advantages when it comes to software, many of the professional production software is free on macs, so depending on what you are doing, it may be cheaper to get a mac if the software you need is expensive

there is also the "macs don't get viruses" which is not true, the truth is "mac was almost dead so nobody bothered to write viruses for them" that is quickly changing, with 3 confirmed botnets existing on macs, and the worst security of any platform, apple has problems ahead, they are ten years behind everyone else in terms of security, but that doesn't stop people from feeling safe browsing the internet on them

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravlon View Post
    This image is very convincing. Even though I personally don't have much experience with Macs. So don't bash me if you feel offended by that.
    I hope you realize that image is deliberately inflammatory, right? Whoever created it went out of their way to make Macs look bad and building your own 1337 g4m3r b4ttl3st4+10n look good...

---------- Post added 2012-08-01 at 08:36 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    my sager will destroy anything in apple's line in terms of performance (including the pro towers) but it doesn't come with the sturdy aluminium chassis, or nifty magnetic power cord, thats why i have both in my backpack, when i need convenience, i use my macbookpro, when i need to do anything productive, i use my sager

apple does have several advantages when it comes to software, many of the professional production software is free on macs, so depending on what you are doing, it may be cheaper to get a mac if the software you need is expensive

there is also the "macs don't get viruses" which is not true, the truth is "mac was almost dead so nobody bothered to write viruses for them" that is quickly changing, with 3 confirmed botnets existing on macs, and the worst security of any platform, apple has problems ahead, they are ten years behind everyone else in terms of security, but that doesn't stop people from feeling safe browsing the internet on them

Now I'm curious, in which different ways is OS X "ten years behind everyone else"?

Not the dumbest and loudest users, those exist on every platform and they say nothing about the actual technical qualities of the platform, the actual operating system. How is it "ten years behind everyone else"?

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    if you spin a rainbow-colored circle paper fast enough you'll see it white

being every Apple's product white, they must be faster then every other product

logic.

back IT: it's just the brand, a tremendously overpriced brand...
    Last edited by S7orm; 2012-08-01 at 06:36 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mludd View Post
    The thing about Mac pricing is that it's not quite as extravagant as some people like to tell themselves (and anyone else unlucky enough to be in earshot of them).

A lot of the younger gamers who complain about Macs also seem to make a few mistakes in their reasoning:
    1) Their use case is everyone's use case. Not everyone only cares about bytes/cycles per dollar, there are other factors as well, including system integration which is something Macs are still much much better at than your average OEM Wintel machine.
    3) That anyone who owns a Mac is computer illiterate. Just go to any developer conference and look at the laptops used by professional developers there, it's very likely a very high percentage of them are using Macbook Pro laptops running OS X. This obviously isn't because developers are generally more computer illiterate than the average teenage gamer but because a modern UNIX system running on hardware it was specifically tailored to run on is attractive to developers and if you're making $75k/year and you buy a new laptop every couple of years then forking out another few hundred dollars for it to better fit what you want makes sense, after all, you're probably going to be using it for hours every day.

The people who do not care about byte/cycle per dollar typically will buy something as a status of "wealth" or "fashion." A computer is practical, not sexy. Trying to assume a computer is sexy easily means that you are overpaying for something that you shouldn't be.

All those "professional developers" is not very specific. I think it make more of a statement about how much money you make when you buy a Mac. Especially when you can show it off in public. Showing it off in public is why people buy it. I don't understand the need to "fit in" with people by showing off my status out in public. You don't see individuals with Lenovos or Toshibas showing off their case, even though the hardware is = to a Mac.

I don't think the difference in the metal casings is worth 2x the price. The only excuse I ever see coming from a Mac user as to why they didn't buy a PC is: "it's more user-friendly" or "it's better." Ya know, after the 6th year of using a "user-friendly" machine, I don't think it needs to be user friendly anymore.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mludd View Post
    I hope you realize that image is deliberately inflammatory, right? Whoever created it went out of their way to make Macs look bad and building your own 1337 g4m3r b4ttl3st4+10n look good...
    Yes, sure. I'm used to that. You can guess out where I found it.
    However, I'm pretty sure it is at least partially right.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Because Dj's use them and writers and architects and designers

Deleted
    You pay for the brand, the (IMO) better support, the design and the OS.