View Poll Results: How do you think your nation is doing this Olympics?

Voters
251. This poll is closed
  • Fantastic!

79 31.47%
  • Better than I expected

21 8.37%
  • About what I expected

78 31.08%
  • Worse than I expected

24 9.56%
  • Terrible!

19 7.57%
  • I'm not watching the Olympics

30 11.95%
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vvhooya View Post
    great 1st place in gold
    Unless you're playing on an American server while living in China, no.

I have to cheer for 2 country actually, China and Canada, Canada is doing better than I expected lol.

Will be missed ~

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vvhooya View Post
    I have to cheer for 2 country actually, China and Canada, Canada is doing better than I expected lol.
    We tend to to better than our population would suggest. Curious though, if you're living in Canada, why would you cheer for China?

10+ Year Old Account
    The US is typically among the top 3 . . . and so far we're among the top 3. So I picked "about what I expected"
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sooba View Post
    Unless you're playing on an American server while living in China, no.
    Or they're a Chinese person living in America?
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fengore View Post
    Or they're a Chinese person living in America?
    I don't cheer for GB, France, Germany or Denmark, despite having roots in all those countries. Unless of course I simply feel that the team deserves praise for some inherent quality or is a cinderella story; in which case I would cheer for any country, not just my heritage.

On the one hand, if he's a first generation immigrant I can understand. If he's not however, it gets irritating watching people fawn over a country that they somehow perceive to be their own. Often those are the same countries/regions that the ancestors fled for good reason. This is often the fate of immigrant nations. It happened last year in Canada with a prominent male figure skater. The lack of gratitude to the nation that groomed you and adopted you as it's own is disappointing.

Kind've the same way that an absent and neglectful biological parent does not deserve the level of loyalty of a present, caring and supportive surrogate.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by expectwar View Post
    USA is doing Fantastic!
    Because you have more people, this mean you have more chance to win something.

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by reemi View Post
    More people than whom? The rest of the world? He wasn't "comparing" anyone so much as expressing happiness at his nation's success. Why would you attempt to run it down? Had he made an unfavourable comparison of some other nation you might have cause.

10+ Year Old Account
    Phelps making history makes me feel fantastic.

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsumata View Post
    Phelps making history makes me feel fantastic.
    That was pretty cool, as was his record golds at the last Olympics. It'll be interesting to see how long the records last. It was nice to see Lochte manage to snag an individual gold too.

Australia - doing terrible.

Previous Prime Minister cut funding to all sporting organisations in favour of the arts .... and this is what happens. Under prepared athletes who are getting minimal support and Coaches who are paid less than a janitor's wage....
    Quote Originally Posted by Zillionhz View Post
    By fiber be purged

15+ Year Old Account
    You have to qualify for the Olympics. A country can't just send 400 swimmers for more of a chance to win.

The olympics are a poor example of a countries actual performance. They should take random citizens of each country and make them compete. Would be pretty epic to see that IMO.

That said the US is doing fantasticly :\ definitely does not represent the average american. Yay money!

Canada is always terrible at the Summer Olympics and usually only excel at certain events like rowing and sometimes certain swimming events. It's the Winter Olympics in which they shine. They're about where I expect.

Canada always starts slow...but we finish slow too...just that the start is slightly slower than the finish.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzzie View Post
    You have to qualify for the Olympics. A country can't just send 400 swimmers for more of a chance to win.
    I think he was referring to larger countries having a larger talent pool to choose from. Which is partially true, training and funding also are crucial.
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

I would be interested in seeing the % of teams/ppl that medal compared to how many compete. US and other large countries are always at the top of the list they enter the most ppl. I am not saying its good or bad to send the most teams, just curious how well countries do based on the teams they field and not the bulk sum of medals.

---------- Post added 2012-08-01 at 04:53 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by madethisfor1post View Post
    Canada always starts slow...but we finish slow too...just that the start is slightly slower than the finish.
    As a child a turtle told me that is the way to do it. It beat a cocky bunny while spinning that lovely story so it must be true!,

---------- Post added 2012-08-01 at 04:54 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Maes View Post
    The olympics are a poor example of a countries actual performance. They should take random citizens of each country and make them compete. Would be pretty epic to see that IMO.

That said the US is doing fantasticly :\ definitely does not represent the average american. Yay money!
    That would be great. Outside of myself and a few of the kids that live near me I don't think ppl could sprint the length of the street they live on much less do anything else.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

If greater population means more medals why does India only have one then??

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzzie View Post
    Doesn't matter, we still have a larger pool of people, and therefore a higher chance that there'll be talent within that pool. The numbers are on our side.

---------- Post added 2012-08-01 at 08:09 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    If greater population means more medals why does India only have one then??
    Because the size of the population isn't the only factor. There's also training and coaching. The US wins a lot of medals because we have a large population and within that population are a lot of athletes who have access to the money required for excellent training and coaching.
    Putin khuliyo

Deleted
    Finland.

We are... hmm... we are just fillers over there :3