Thread: BWE3 Difficulty

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

BWE3 Difficulty

Here is a post on reddit from an ArenaNet developer saying that BWE3 was easier than intended. So the difficulty will be ramped back to around where it was in BWE2 for the release

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/c...e3_difficulty/

Greetings Heroes of Tyria,

We wanted to give you all an update on the Difficulty of BWE3, as it has been the topic of many conversations recently.

First of all, it is important to understand that the game is still in Beta and that we continue to balance on a daily basis. This said, and as usual, your feedback has proven invaluable. Following the weekend we drilled into our Event metrics, and discovered that the difficulty had indeed changed between BWE3 vs. BWE2. We moved ahead with a check on our core systems to find out if any global change/bug had incurred a generic adjustment to the balance of the game. Quickly we found this to be the case, and the issue has now been corrected.

We also wanted to take the time to mention, that we feel the overall pacing of the game is exactly where we want it. Specifically that we do not want the player to be in a constant state of overly challenging gameplay, and therefore the difficulty is now reflective of the balance found in BWE2, without a change in overall pacing.

Finally, we continue to balance both our creatures and our professions. Your feedback, once again has proven invaluable to us, and we ask that you continue to let us know what you think about the game, and keep posting your suggestions as we get ever closer to the release of Guild Wars 2.

See you in Tyria!

ChrisW

Oh gods, and I just stopped having nightmares from the Fire Elemental in the Reactor! The horror......

That's actually good i think, more challenge is more fun, for me atleast.

10+ Year Old Account
    Good to know, I thought the difficulty was correct in that it was easier to start off with and curved into more difficulty later in the game, but I did feel that the low level zones needed some kind of teeth to teach players effectively how to play. Glad to see it was a bug.

---------- Post added 2012-08-01 at 03:06 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by nbm02ss View Post
    Oh gods, and I just stopped having nightmares from the Fire Elemental in the Reactor! The horror......
    I think that fight was confirmed to be overtuned, it's going to be much easier come launch.
    "Questions are for those seeking answers. Those who have answers are those who have asked questions." -Mike R. (Malthurius)

Quote Originally Posted by Malthurius View Post
    Good to know, I thought the difficulty was correct in that it was easier to start off with and curved into more difficulty later in the game, but I did feel that the low level zones needed some kind of teeth to teach players effectively how to play. Glad to see it was a bug.

---------- Post added 2012-08-01 at 03:06 PM ----------

I think that fight was confirmed to be overtuned, it's going to be much easier come launch.
    Good to know. I was actually okay with the damage, as it was a good way to teach people that red circles=bad, and use your dodge button, but the knockdown was a little ridiculous.

arenanet are made up of people from blizzard

dont worry,all it takes for blizzard to change the difficulty is the slight tear of a casual

Hello, friend. Let's not bash other games/developers or players, and let's keep the discussion on GW2 please. -Edge
    Last edited by Edge-; 2012-08-01 at 08:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Malthurius View Post
    Pretty much in agreement. I actually thought the personal story aspect was significantly tougher than any of its comparative leveling and / or questing areas, but that probably varies from class to class.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, I do think some event bosses deal too much close range AoE damage, to the point of punishing everyone who even wants to attempt a melee attack.
    Quote Originally Posted by CrunkJuice5 View Post
    arenanet are made up of people from blizzard

dont worry,all it takes for blizzard to change the difficulty is the slight tear of a casual
    Normally, I correct mistakes (grammar and spelling) from the people I quote. I won't bother with such an obvious troll.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CrunkJuice5 View Post
    arenanet are made up from people from blizzard

Can't tell if serious... but if you are serious, then what makes you think that the people that left Blizzard to work with ArenaNet are the ones in favor of nerfing to make content available for everyone to see if Blizzard is still nerfing things to the ground themselves?

---------- Post added 2012-08-01 at 03:24 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Pretty much in agreement. I actually thought the personal story aspect was significantly tougher than any of its comparative leveling and / or questing areas, but that probably varies from class to class.
    That would support the fact that the lower difficulty was actually a bug and not an intended balance. Perhaps out in the world the difficulty should have mirrored the personal story. I did find the personal story much harder than anything out in the world, despite the class I would choose.
    Last edited by Malthurius; 2012-08-01 at 07:24 PM.
    "Questions are for those seeking answers. Those who have answers are those who have asked questions." -Mike R. (Malthurius)

10+ Year Old Account
    I actually thought that thee difficult was good. Not too easy, not extremely hard. Standing still while attacking doesn't get you much far in the game and loved the fact that the mobs dodge AoE attacks before they land (running away from the area of Dragon's Tooth for example). It felt good.
    Arukas

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    I did have quite a shock at the difficulty of the personal story in relation to same-level explorable content - Maybe that's because my personal story involved fighting multiple enemies in a small space as a caster class.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hjalmtyr View Post
    I did have quite a shock at the difficulty of the personal story in relation to same-level explorable content - Maybe that's because my personal story involved fighting multiple enemies in a small space as a caster class.
    I had that on my staff ele at one point, but it was doable with scepter/focus - just had to be careful.

I'm just so pleased to hear how on top of things these guys are!
    Valar morghulis

10+ Year Old Account
    So does this mean that BWE3 was too easy, or too hard? O_o
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Karizee View Post
    I had that on my staff ele at one point, but it was doable with scepter/focus - just had to be careful.
    I pulled it off with a staff after a few tries, but it really was close - Ending fights on 50 hp, sometimes downed and what have you, I managed to get the boss guy down barely alive myself.

---------- Post added 2012-08-01 at 09:06 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    So does this mean that BWE3 was too easy, or too hard? O_o
    It means it was too easy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hjalmtyr View Post
    It means it was too easy.
    Oh good, because any easier and I could faceroll my way to 80.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    Oh good, because any easier and I could faceroll my way to 80.
    True, to be fair. I managed to get to level 30 over the weekend with at least 5 hours sleep a night and no efficient level planning and taking plenty of time to 100% complete the zones I was in; check out World vs World vs World; test out a few other professions and spend a few hours crafting.

I am glad it is fixed, I found it way too easy in BWE3 compared to BWE2, veteran's should not be soloable so easy.. I could stand and mash in BWE3 which really made it less fun. Bring on the challenge!!

Good to know. I was actually okay with the damage, as it was a good way to teach people that red circles=bad, and use your dodge button, but the knockdown was a little ridiculous.
    Did you naked zerg like we did? That elemental was a bastard.

Didn't notice a change to be honest. Although I did think the ghost area in Diswhatever Plateau had been adjusted last beta. I remember that area having some hellish respawn in the past and that was not the case in the last beta. But for the most part, shrug.

I thought BWE3 was easier for sure. Or it could be that it was easy because I was playing a Ranger.