Poll: Are you afraid of clowns?

Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

How Many Are Afraid of Clowns??

I got to thinking after another excellent episode of Supernatural, about how afraid of clowns I am. There are some good reasons for it, the main one being that their faces lack any sort of expression as it is painted on. In pop-culture, they're frequently used as innocent tools of evil.

But that makes me wonder just how many people here are truly afraid of clowns. I don't mean unsettled. I mean scratch-your-eyes-out kinda afraid.

15+ Year Old Account
    Don't think of the makeup, think about the person behind it. Then you shouldn't be afraid!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spl4sh3r View Post
    Don't think of the makeup, think about the person behind it. Then you shouldn't be afraid!
    I'm sure that's what 33 young men thought about John Wayne Gacy.

Not afraid, maybe cause I didn't watch the scary clown movie when I was young.

Deleted

Clooooowns.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not really afraid but i do find themm creepy.

No real life clown can scare me. When I was young I was a little scared of IT, the clown that ate children...

afraid of them? not necessarily. do i find them creepy? oh my god do i. they bothered me as a child as well, just seemed unnatural to me. but then i always found characters meant for children (muppets, cartoons, etc) with cutesy voices condescending as well

Deleted
    Personally, I don't think they are scary lol. I mean, they just laugh, right? I actually think they look pathetic with all that make up and the usual red wig lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
    No real life clown can scare me. When I was young I was a little scared of IT, the clown that ate children...
    A perfect example of the cultural significance of scary clowns

Quote Originally Posted by smelltheglove View Post
    afraid of them? not necessarily. do i find them creepy? oh my god do i. they bothered me as a child as well, just seemed unnatural to me. but then i always found characters meant for children (muppets, cartoons, etc) with cutesy voices condescending as well
    I should say more creepy than scary. I can certainly see a movie or video about clowns. I've even seen them in real life, at Cirque du Soleil, but they creep me out so much that I spent most of the time gripping the seat and fighting the urge to back away.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not scared of clowns but they are a bit weird. I've never laughed at a clown and I find them a little desperate at times. I do know someone who's genuinely scared of clowns however.

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    I'm sure that's what 33 young men thought about John Wayne Gacy.
    The clown killer... Damm creepy.

I think its the same as with dolls that look human - they are in the uncanny valley which repulse some people because they look human but not quite, there is something off about them and therefore we have an innate desire to stay away from it

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't fear clowns, but they are creepy as hell.
    Though the clown in IT, mygod I remember watching that (when I was not supposed to, with some friends). Now that was scary :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    The clown killer... Damm creepy.

I think its the same as with dolls that look human - they are in the uncanny valley which repulse some people because they look human but not quite, there is something off about them and therefore we have an innate desire to stay away from it
    I wonder if it's the same kind of thing with scarecrows. They're not even quite human but they're just so damned creepy.

10+ Year Old Account
    was only afraid of IT not clowns in real life... well i've never seen a clown in real life. i'm going with not afraid.
    I'd torture a thousand souls just to see her smile.

I don't find them scary, but I do find them creepy as all get out. Kind of like I'd find someone walking down the street wearing character mask any day of the year OTHER than Halloween creepy. It's a face painted so as to be unrecognizable and less "human," more like a life sized toy. I don't like toy clowns, either, and find them far creepier than actual clowns. They're caricatures, and ugly to me.

I haven't seen many scary clown movies, and what I did see, I saw when I was plenty old enough to not pin the fears on the face of clowns in general. But the clowns I've encountered at circuses and fairs have all been ... well, they've got a sad and dumpy air to them, if that makes sense. There's a lack of care to make up and costume that doesn't feel right to me. Perhaps if I'd encountered more clowns that were more fastidious in their appearance I'd see them more as well costumed performers but that's simply not been the case for me.

Not scary, but yes creepy (not to be confused with being creeps). They make me uncomfortable, whether male or female.

Deleted
    I once were afraid of clowns, but that time is over now :>

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    I should say more creepy than scary. I can certainly see a movie or video about clowns. I've even seen them in real life, at Cirque du Soleil, but they creep me out so much that I spent most of the time gripping the seat and fighting the urge to back away.
    Oh man, I love the Cirque du Soleil clowns! I don't like the classic red nose type clowns so much, but they don't scare me.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Deleted
    Oh god yes they terrify me D: Been afraid of them for as long as i can remember, even seeing one on TV makes me tense up and my gut churn a bit. God help me when i see one in the flesh i actually get goosebumps, my heart rate starts racing i generally start to freak out a bit and have to get the hell away as quick as possible. Pretty unrational i know but something about them just sends shivers up my spine O.o

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gridalien View Post
    Oh god yes they terrify me D: Been afraid of them for as long as i can remember, even seeing one on TV makes me tense up and my gut churn a bit. God help me when i see one in the flesh i actually get goosebumps, my heart rate starts racing i generally start to freak out a bit and have to get the hell away as quick as possible. Pretty unrational i know but something about them just sends shivers up my spine O.o
    Clearly you're not secretly an evil clown