Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zhinkis View Post
    Dota2 is a mmo?
    Yeah obviously, I mean it's Massive, Multiplayer and Online, duh.

Sarcasm warning.

Quote Originally Posted by Lycoris View Post
    Yeah obviously, I mean it's Massive, Multiplayer and Online, duh.

Sarcasm warning.
    It's not massive though. Neither is LoL or WoT.

P2W is such a poorly defined term. Everyone seems to have a different definition. Makes debating any of this stuff awfully difficult when you can't even decide what you're debating!
    ~ flarecde
    Reality is nothing; Perception is everything.

Quote Originally Posted by flarecde View Post
    It's not massive though. Neither is LoL or WoT.
    When leveling up you hardly ever meet anybody, when doing end game you are in instances of 5-10-25. What massive are you talking about. Do specify.

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

Quote Originally Posted by Repefe View Post
    When leveling up you hardly ever meet anybody, when doing end game you are in instances of 5-10-25. What massive are you talking about. Do specify.
    Not talking about WoW?

DoTA is two small teams in a single instance. To qualify for massive I'd expect at least one open ended area where most players can play the game together in some form.
    ~ flarecde
    Reality is nothing; Perception is everything.

Not talking about WoW?
    Just wondering what your requirements for massive in a MMO are. Because WoW, TOR, etc have nothing massive short of massive hubs with ppl doing nothing and big player base and most ppl would say that they are MMOs.

---------- Post added 2012-11-13 at 10:57 PM ----------

DoTA is two small teams in a single instance. To qualify for massive I'd expect at least one open ended area where most players can play the game together in some form.
    But isn't that what the RPG in MMORPG stands for ? You role play character in world with others. When you don't role play you are put into instance with just a few ppl and this part is the same for WoW and LoL etc.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by matiasve View Post
    So why is there no MMO ( that I know of) with a similar currency system?
    Upcoming F2P non-P2W MMO's:
    RaiderZ...cosmetic and minor magic find (?) upgrades...this might have changed since I last played.
    Firefall...
    Wildstar...
    Last edited by Rooflesstoofless; 2012-11-13 at 10:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HBpapa View Post
    Wildstar...
    We don't have any info on the business model for Wildstar, do we? >.>

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    We don't have any info on the business model for Wildstar, do we? >.>
    You're right...my bad...thought I read it was going to be F2P non-P2W but I can't find my source. So it could be P2P, B2P...or anything, really.

---------- Post added 2012-11-13 at 03:26 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by -Dalliah- View Post
    Today I learned the Call of Duty games are MMORPG.
    I lol'd. To hell with persistent worlds.

Deleted
    lol isnt an mmorpg. its just a multiplayer game. I guarantee if they built it like a typical MMO you would not be getting everything for free.

Upcomming F2P im looking forward to is planetside 2. Looks to be quite cool

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikkr View Post
    lol isnt an mmorpg. its just a multiplayer game. I guarantee if they built it like a typical MMO you would not be getting everything for free.

Upcomming F2P im looking forward to is planetside 2. Looks to be quite cool
    Yeah, isn't PS2 going to have a model similar to LoL? I might be wrong (haven't played it in some time) but you could unlock weapons by earning currency in game or you could just buy in game currency to unlock different weapons but even a starting rifle could take out someone with the latest weapons because of skill(?).

Too bad it looks so messed up on my computer 'cause it is a lot of fun. My graphics card hates that game for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by -Dalliah- View Post
    Today I learned the Call of Duty games are MMORPG.
    I am not saying LoL is MMORPG ... I am saying it's MMO. It actually won a few prices for best MMORTS. Same category of games SC2 for example falls into. All those silly ppl calling SC2 MMO when it does not have persistent world.
    Last edited by Repefe; 2012-11-14 at 07:56 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am not saying LoL is MMORPG ... I am saying it's MMO. It actually won a few prices for best MMORTS. Same category of games SC2 for example falls into. All those silly ppl calling SC2 MMO when it does not have persistent world.
    I am not saying LoL is MMORPG ... I am saying it's MMO.
    plus
    It actually won a few prices for best MMORTS. All those silly ppl calling SC2 MMO when it does not have persistent world.
    Contradicts itself...

10+ Year Old Account
    free games you say ...
    nothing is free in life
    Warrior, getting my face smashed in because I love it

"The Perfect Raid Design Drawn by me .

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    Makes contradicts itself...
    Do you think MMO automatically implies MMORPG ? That there is no other term that starts with MMO ?

10+ Year Old Account
    Do you think MMO automatically implies MMORPG ? That there is no other term that starts with MMO ?
    I made no mention of MMORPG. You mentioned LoL as an MMO RTS, which you said is the same category as SC2, and then proceed to say SC2 isn't because it doesn't have a persistent world, which is the same as LoL as it has no persistent world.

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    I made no mention of MMORPG. You mentioned LoL as an MMO RTS, which you said is the same category as SC2, and then proceed to say SC2 isn't because it doesn't have a persistent world, which is the same as LoL as it has no persistent world.
    Yeah, but that was a sarcasm

Deleted
    Lol'd at the fact that OP claims LoL not being P2W.

Quote Originally Posted by Suizid View Post
    Lol'd at the fact that OP claims LoL not being P2W.
    It's P2W? Please, tell me about how you can purchase advantages from the cash shop that you aren't able to acquire through normal play. That party fiddlesticks skin is definitely going to give you the competitive edge over that other guy.

hmm i think i prefer subscription, although not many (if any) games offer 100% unlock with a subscription which sucks. Also i think the $15/m could come down to $5ish in long term subscriptions with a normal rate at around $10. No $15 isn't a lot considering other entertainment per hour but a lot of the time it feels like the money isn't going anywhere (a year of server costs are paid within 6 weeks or so in WoW).

I think i just hate cash shops, they tend to destroy immersion for me. Even worse when they shove advertising in your face every time you do something. There are also quality of life purchases which can increase efficiency online (+xp etc.) which always get's me thinking why don't i just pay for it since it will be saving me money if i account for hourly wages from a job. I don't want to have to think about that, i just want to play the game.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    It's P2W? Please, tell me about how you can purchase advantages from the cash shop that you aren't able to acquire through normal play. That party fiddlesticks skin is definitely going to give you the competitive edge over that other guy.
    I find "that you aren't able to acquire through normal play" a bit ridiculous. I've got about 700-800 games played, 4-5 champions purchased with RP and I still have what, half of them? Having it be an absolutely ridiculous 24/7 for a month grind makes it practically as P2W as the next.