Page 17 of 37 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well I have no statistics to back that up, but your talking dungeons which are all isntanced and your talking battlegrounds and sPvP and maybe WvWvW and end bosses they are in part instanced although on a larger scale but certainly the first 3, yes the end game entails a lot of adventuring there is no set direction you could play 100% without stepping foot in the instanced areas but at the end of the day, the dungeons have cosmetic gear you can only get in them and not from outside, and im pretty sure the same could be said of sPvP so if you choose to avoid instanced areas you'll be restricting yourself quite a bit but not to the degree of the regular mmos.
    Nice for someone to say hello, most people just want me to bugger off :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cig View Post
    Hi Drayko,
    I didn't know the underlined/bold part of your statement. How are you measuring end game content? I feel like I am missing info Thanks
    It's coming out of his ass there are currently 8 dungeons, with story mode and 3 exploreable modes each, so let's say 8 super easy dungeons at 24 end game instances, an then there's over 1k events with more being added, pvp, and WvW.... Totally not half...
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

Well I suppose it's better than all of the endgame being instanced like most other mmos right?

Deleted
    Hi Drayko,
    I didn't know the underlined/bold part of your statement. How are you measuring end game content? I feel like I am missing info Thanks
    well we have 8 dungeons (4 modes each, 1 story 3explorable) as instanced content set against an entire world of relevant content and dynamic events....I'm pretty sure the whole world is bigger than the 8 dungeons.

For pvp there are a few 5v5s, set against 4 massive WvWvW maps (which I dont regard as instanced as they are the main world for the pvp game).

What you play is up to your preference, but I think its safe to say the overwhelming majority of GW2 content is non-instanced and set up to encourage players to play together and not be separated off from each other.

Deleted
    Good graphics ?!? Yeah when you look at still images. Once you play the game, you realize the animations and character models are mediocre.

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Bob View Post
    Good graphics ?!? Yeah when you look at still images. Once you play the game, you realize the animations and character models are mediocre.
    Strange, I'm of the complete opposite opinion. I much prefer in game than still pictures.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Angry Bob View Post
    Are we playin the same game?
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    It's coming out of his ass there are currently 8 dungeons, with story mode and 3 exploreable modes each, so let's say 8 super easy dungeons at 24 end game instances, an then there's over 1k events with more being added, pvp, and WvW.... Totally not half...
    A lot of hostility tonight, I dont get it, guess its easier to jump down my throat. I never even said it in a negative way, pvp is instanced btw, but whatever. Sheesh I guess with infinite retro banned its attack the next guy, at least i try to be constructive :S

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    Strange, I'm of the complete opposite opinion. I much prefer in game than still pictures.
    It's important to note that, for the most part, we tend to turn our graphics up for screenshots (when performance doesn't matter), and we tend to turn them down for videos (because otherwise the game would chug mercilessly).

Most videos aren't truly indicative of the game itself for this reason and that's why people are quick to jump on them for being "poor".

A lot of hostility tonight, I dont get it, guess its easier to jump down my throat. I never even said it in a negative way, pvp is instanced btw, but whatever. Sheesh I guess with infinite retro banned its attack the next guy, at least i try to be constructive :S
    It didn't look very hostile. Maybe you are trying to cast him that way so you can play victim?

10+ Year Old Account
    Well I have no statistics to back that up, but your talking dungeons which are all isntanced and your talking battlegrounds and sPvP and maybe WvWvW and end bosses they are in part instanced although on a larger scale but certainly the first 3, yes the end game entails a lot of adventuring there is no set direction you could play 100% without stepping foot in the instanced areas but at the end of the day, the dungeons have cosmetic gear you can only get in them and not from outside, and im pretty sure the same could be said of sPvP so if you choose to avoid instanced areas you'll be restricting yourself quite a bit but not to the degree of the regular mmos.
    Nice for someone to say hello, most people just want me to bugger off :P
    I figured that the dungeons you enter portals for you included but wasn't sure if there was additional info I've missed, been really busy getting ready for my first baby
    TBH though thinking about it now if you choose portal you walk through as defining instanced content, wouldn't all DE's and whatnot be considered instanced as each realm/region you have to enter a portal to access (load screen)? Sorry if i misunderstood you

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    There are a lot of neat enviromental effects and animations. Lots of personality to the game.

I remember walking pass two Norn ladies talking about the Sons of Svnrainwhatever and that conversation was amazing! Also the little Asura children running around LA, the grassy fields in Gendarran Fields or Skritt laboring for the Asura Krewes. Ever seen a Charr in full armor at 80? Amazing detail.

Felt the world was the most lively and fully realized in an MMO yet.

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    There's plenty of objective proof that the graphical quality of GW2 is better than WoW. You can't argue the aesthetics of it, sure, but objectively speaking, GW2 graphical quality is superior.
    Graphics aren't everything, SW:Tor had better graphics then wow.......

Because dungeons are waiting to bring the pain, and then do it again in a completely different way
    D3 has randomly generated dungeons, they still get boring. Especially when that's the only PVE endgame for people who like to make there characters better gear wise.
    I dont like GW2 because you either have to quest in pve or pvp to get talent points niether of those sound fun, questing imo is a means to an end doesn't matter what flash you put on it a quest is still a quest.

I will say dungeons get boring in warcraft to after you do them a billion times but at least there's other things to do after 5 mans, and the gear you get is actually used for there stats and not just for looks To me a rpg is about bettering your toon for increasingly harder content, not to look pretty doing the same content over and over again for little to no benefit.
    Last edited by Bahska; 2012-08-05 at 09:31 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, wasn't hostile nor directed at you... And only sPvP and dungeon are instanced broski WvW and events (which are more numerous then the others) are instanced.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hjalmtyr View Post
    I can't be the only one who finds doing the same raid every week boring? It's a choreographed little dance where you hit the same buttons in the same order while doing the same thing after the same UI announcement.

Why am I the only one who'd rather have no raids than the same damn things every week and that is the endgame?
    SO FUCKING WISELY SPOKEN! Got sick of WoW after years of playing just for that reason. Its PvP seriously sucks now and classes are very unbalanced so there was nothing left for me to do there.. People that like being part of choreography can stay at it.. Really, complaining for not having the features you were looking for at a game that hasn't even been released yet, means that it's actually not your type of game.. If people like being limited among very few options, and obliged to follow the same formula step by step over and over again then this forum section isn't for them. GW2 isn't the stereotypical sort of game with a PvE structure, deal with it

Quote Originally Posted by theunit187 View Post
    Look at the screenshot above. A person says its really good. And I see what? Right, very dull colors. Very ugly siluettes at the background. Ugly fake fog which looks worse than the same 2d fog in Howling Fjord which is kind of beautiful.

Now check WoW locations. Like Zul'Drak. You instantly spot very thoughtful art direction - they have eye-catching dance of cool and warm colors against each other. Even though the graphics are really outdated (compared to things like Battlefield), solid art direction makes it shine and hides many issues.
    Have you actually played the game? It has one of the best art designs in the industry, superior to some of the single-player RPGs (Bethesda Softworks, I look at you!). Trying to judge the design of the game just looking at some screenshots and videos... I am really speechless. Are you that 'I saw a picture of the sistine chapel and I wasn't impressed' person?

Deleted
    I figured that the dungeons you enter portals for you included but wasn't sure if there was additional info I've missed, been really busy getting ready for my first baby
    TBH though thinking about it now if you choose portal you walk through as defining instanced content, wouldn't all DE's and whatnot be considered instanced as each realm/region you have to enter a portal to access (load screen)? Sorry if i misunderstood you
    in which case every mmo ever made is 100% instanced, yes even wow, you are not in the same area when you travel from one zone to the next, it used to be hid by those strange right angled pasageways (see entrance to silvermoon), nowadays its more subtle, but wow is just as instanced (if you want to call it that) as any other game.

My defintion of instance is a piece of content with a small player cap where you either have to make a group or you have to play as a close team...so dungeons(5man), sPvP (5man) in GW2 (I dont count 500 cap on WvWvW as instanced as its so large).
    In WoW - Dungeons(5), raids(10/25), BGs(varies), Arena(varies), and scenarios(3 I think) in MoP

---------- Post added 2012-08-05 at 11:01 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by theunit187 View Post
    Look at the screenshot above. A person says its really good. And I see what? Right, very dull colors. Very ugly siluettes at the background. Ugly fake fog which looks worse than the same 2d fog in Howling Fjord which is kind of beautiful.

Now check WoW locations. Like Zul'Drak. You instantly spot very thoughtful art direction - they have eye-catching dance of cool and warm colors against each other. Even though the graphics are really outdated (compared to things like Battlefield), solid art direction makes it shine and hides many issues.
    I think you may be caught up in WoW's aesthetics to be honest (which I admit are nice in places).

GW2 is undeniably brilliant from a technical perspective, and I'd struggle to see how anyone can possibly say the aesthetic is poor(even if its not to your taste).

Quote Originally Posted by tlacoatl View Post
    My defintion of instance is a piece of content with a small player cap where you either have to make a group or you have to play as a close team...so dungeons(5man), sPvP (5man) in GW2 (I dont count 500 cap on WvWvW as instanced as its so large).
    In WoW - Dungeons(5), raids(10/25), BGs(varies), Arena(varies), and scenarios(3 I think) in MoP
    The term "instance" comes from object-oriented programming and is generally applied to areas that can have multiple copies instead of being shared among the entire server population.

And yes, that there is a loading screen is an artifact of the implementation. Loading screens are simply used to hide under the hood activity, such as switching your character to a different physical machine (if the instance is not located on the same physical server), loading textures, etc.

I'm not sure what the debate is about, though -- instances are a necessary evil when you want to avoid conflicts between multiple people trying to do the same thing concurrently. Inherently, they are neither good nor bad; they're just a technology to replicate pieces of content.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvanie View Post
    I'm not sure what the debate is about, though -- instances are a necessary evil when you want to avoid conflicts between multiple people trying to do the same thing concurrently. Inherently, they are neither good nor bad; they're just a technology to replicate pieces of content.
    Anyone who tried to do any of the Master Level raids or SI raids in DAoC knows full well how beneficial an instance can be.

I think GW2 has a good balance: Plenty of instanced content (dungeons and sPvP) for those who want an on-demand experience but also plenty of world events for those who want to feel like part of the world around them.

Instances also served as a means of controlling an encounter's script very tightly or the overall makeup of a zone. Such as genpop and so on.