Page 12 of 37 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstorm View Post
    Maybe they will make a "Three Eles, Two Guardians Club" guild, so we know what people to avoid going in dungeons with?
    Just don't roll Ele or Guardian and you won't have to worry about them. :P

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tlacoatl View Post
    I am sad people think this way already. I can only hope that playing the game will shift attitudes away from this kind of thinking.
    "the fastest way to my friends house is taking the car"

"jee, i wanna make this harder for myself. maybe i'll walk backwards"

-_-

that philosophy is just silly

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cranberries View Post
    "the fastest way to my friends house is taking the car"

"jee, i wanna make this harder for myself. maybe i'll walk backwards"

-_-

that philosophy is just silly
    Exactly, its a really bizzare notion that you want to be competitive in pvp/pve but copying the strongest builds is seen in a bad light. Its this kind of GW2 fan mentality that annoys me and perpetuates this weird myth in the community that GW2 is going to change how people consume content and play MMOs, it wont people will still want the competitive builds and still want to share it on popular websites for other people to use.

All I hope is that though there may be a best way to do something (there always will be), there won't be an ONLY way to do something. If I find something more enjoyable than the best way, I'd like to still be able to play with others.

If others want to play FotM and cookie cutter, more power to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_ View Post
    Wait what? You seriously expected people to prefer masochistic head bashing into the mountain to try to pass through it rather then go around it or over it?

Really, not everyone enjoys pain of trying to ram a square peg into a round hole. Sure, use enough force and if there's enough tolerance and you'll get it done. GW2 gives a lot of room for this kind of action. But there will always be people who will try to find the roundest peg in the pile of pegs to get the smoothest experience possible.

Some people enjoy the pain of getting it wrong many many times over and that's their right. But please don't project that masochism onto everyone as some sort of a gameplay nirvana.
    And as a result every retard and their kin roles a round peg. Yay, you get 3 ele's and 2 guardians... to bad they are all dumber then spit and wipe on the first trash mob regardless.

I care little for this crap, ive had to deal with it in WoW for years. Being a Ret paladin since vanilla, i'd get a lot of hate for supposedly rolling a bad spec. Only to outperform these mouthbreathers by a mile and a half because i was simply a much better player. And thats WoW! Gw2 is much more skillbased.

It's not that we don't want people having similar builds. But "cookie cutter" builds ruin the point of having a robust skill/talent system. If your a warrior who wants to be damage driven, and there is only one build for that, where's the fun?

People saying "lol not having cookie cutters is inefficient" really don't understand the objectives of GW2. Stop applying competitive raiding thought processes to this game, for the love of all things holy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodrin View Post
    It's not that we don't want people having similar builds. But "cookie cutter" builds ruin the point of having a robust skill/talent system. If your a warrior who wants to be damage driven, and there is only one build for that, where's the fun?

People saying "lol not having cookie cutters is inefficient" really don't understand the objectives of GW2. Stop applying competitive raiding thought processes to this game, for the love of all things holy.
    Ruin it for who exactly? Why does it ruin anything if I choose the most optimal set up, in what way is that effecting anything, your still just as able to chose your own spec. but for someone to say they feel sad that people like me will be using someone elses build because its more efficient than my build its just ridiculous. Noone is saying you should only have cookie cutter what were saying is that they will still exist and people will still use them. And noone has touched raiding were talking about competitive pve/pvp here regardless of what type and there are a large group of like minded people who will choose to play cookie cutter over some weird gimped but fun build.

Deleted
    ah so many people miss the point entirely.

the idea that there is a "best" build is just silly with the way the game works.

I'm sure there will be "standard" builds, fine, but the idea that they are the only acceptable builds, or even optimal builds is very shortsighted.

How do you judge wall of reflection against other utility skills? their use is situational and their milage will depend on the player. Likewise traits will depend on how you play.

There are no static rotations like in wow, where if you put numbers into a spreadsheet you come out with optimal gearing set and optimal talent tree and optimal rotation....GW2 just does not work like that.

I'm not saying some specs will not be better at certain things than others, but the idea that a cookie cutter spec will be awesome and solve every problem for you is laughable. and leads me to question if people have been playing the same game as me, aparantly not.

of course I want to do my best, but I just dont buy the idea that I can go and get "guardian standard spec 2-dps" and its optimal for me is weird. This game perhaps more than any other mmo is more dependant on reactions and player style than on specs. yes they make a difference, but the spec that suits my style may be useless for you, and your "imba super duper awesome" spec may be useless for me.
    Last edited by mmoc4e3ce29075; 2012-08-05 at 01:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Ruin it for who exactly? Why does it ruin anything if I choose the most optimal set up, in what way is that effecting anything, your still just as able to chose your own spec. but for someone to say they feel sad that people like me will be using someone elses build because its more efficient than my build its just ridiculous. Noone is saying you should only have cookie cutter what were saying is that they will still exist and people will still use them. And noone has touched raiding were talking about competitive pve/pvp here regardless of what type and there are a large group of like minded people who will choose to play cookie cutter over some weird gimped but fun build.
    It's the idea that you want an (read: one) optimal setup. Guess what people like you do to my gaming experience if I don't want to play your "one" optimal setup? I don't get in groups, whether it be PvP or PvE. So yes, people who adopt your flawed reality of the game do effect others experience in the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's the idea that you want an (read: one) optimal setup. Guess what people like you do to my gaming experience if I don't want to play your "one" optimal setup? I don't get in groups, whether it be PvP or PvE. So yes, people who adopt your flawed reality of the game do effect others experience in the game.
    No offense but what your saying is that you cant find like minded people to play the game how you want so its our fault that you cant get in to a group. If so then obviously the community isnt ready for your way of thinking. Heres some advice though join a guild and play with people you like so you can avoid people like me, dont make me play your way

Deleted
    Exactly, its a really bizzare notion that you want to be competitive in pvp/pve but copying the strongest builds is seen in a bad light. Its this kind of GW2 fan mentality that annoys me and perpetuates this weird myth in the community that GW2 is going to change how people consume content and play MMOs, it wont people will still want the competitive builds and still want to share it on popular websites for other people to use.
    the idea that there is a "strongest build" is silly with how the game works.

Honestly, I bet most won't care about builds, they will care more about the actual people. "Bring the player, not the class/profession" is finally true. If running some magic setup makes it easier to do it, then congratulations on making the dungeon easier I guess. I'll run with who I want, and take the difficulty as it is.

Deleted
    No offense but what your saying is that you cant find like minded people to play the game how you want so its our fault that you cant get in to a group. If so then obviously the community isnt ready for your way of thinking. Heres some advice though join a guild and play with people you like so you can avoid people like me, dont make me play your way
    no, its pretty much an indictment of the community who are copying WoW-type mentalities into a game where they really dont apply.

-Btw this is from a wrath era pve frost mage who always got laughed at and bitched at right up until I kicked their arses on the dps tables(whereas I sucked at arcane or fire).....your view of optimal does not apply to everyone and does not take skill into account, and even less so in GW2 where skill and reactions is so much more important.

Deleted
    The best build.. is the one you master.. imo. I thought you build your traits and such after how you play? I mean one build maybe be better for you who like beeing in melee, one likes condition, one like support. Its all about master your own skill and build your traits after that.. after how you as a player likes to play. Defensive/offesive/glass cannon/support all that stuff. Or have I got this all wrong? oO

Sure I guess lets say many like to go with a condition damage build, some might try to figure it out them self's, and others are going to google for the best one :P Its how it works. Is it not?

Deleted
    Seriously guys .....
    <<bull's charge frenzy hundred blades warrior in pvp ?>> = For the love of god , some utility skills remove stun+ while u doghe u avoid all the damage !
    <<3 elementalist in PvE ?>> = have u consider for a sec , that Regeneration doesnt multistack , and the same apply to the elementalist place-on-the-ground-healing . Or some aoe-ground-healing have 6-10 yards range , while u have to constadly move ?

And guess what people like you do to my gaming experience? Am I to understand now that I and people like myself are insignificant bugs for you to step on in order to get your share of self-flagellating pleasure?

Reality is, you choose what's fun for you, and I'll choose what's fun for me. If what's fun for me is not fun for you, you are free not to join me. If what's fun for you is not fun for me, I'm free to not join you.

Problem arises typically when people like me are successful and people like you are not. So we assemble groups with requirements, and you do not meet them. Then you proceed to the boards to complain about it.

Amazingly there are essentially no complaints of it going the other way around. People like me appear completely happy not being accepted in your circles. I do wonder, why such a clear cut difference? Could it be that we're actually enjoying ourselves without sacrificing each others' enjoyment, while you cannot enjoy with people like you, because your enjoyment is detrimental to others' enjoyment, even when they're like you?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstorm View Post
    Honestly, I bet most won't care about builds, they will care more about the actual people. "Bring the player, not the class/profession" is finally true. If running some magic setup makes it easier to do it, then congratulations on making the dungeon easier I guess. I'll run with who I want, and take the difficulty as it is.
    Ill take that bet, theres that myth again, the GW2 community will be so far above those of other mmos, dont come to our game with your cookie cutter builds and your OP classes we are far above those selfish and horrid notions....

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tlacoatl View Post
    the idea that there is a "strongest build" is silly with how the game works.
    cookie cutter builds arent about 'strongest', they're builds that do something that no other build does and because of it, the build has an advantage over any other build:

HARP, SLSL, Shadowfrost are a few examples of cookie cutter builds in WoW that existed simply cuz they were builds that did stuff no other build could. HARP - 30 seconds of AR w/ 1 sec GCDs, SLSL: unmatched survivability without losing DPS, Shadowfrost ... Retarded.

Ill take that bet, theres that myth again, the GW2 community will be so far above those of other mmos, dont come to our game with your cookie cutter builds and your OP classes we are far above those selfish and horrid notions....
    With no care about gear, and the driving point being fun, I don't see why I would enjoy finding the easiest way to get over the mountain, when the mountain is what I want to climb, not the top. In fact, some people might go ahead and find the collection of professions that would make for the hardest climb.

When you start taking "cookie cutter" builds over the player, you prove yourself to be a fool.

Guess what? That person with the obscure spec you wouldn't ever use may preform far better than another random who went online for 30 seconds and copied the first link they saw.

Your mindset is flawed, you refuse to recognize it because you've never tried someone based on their merits.