Page 1 of 11
... LastLast

Why does America have so many people in prison compared to other countries?

I was going through the List of top international rankings by country and started laughing pretty hysterically when I scrolled down to America and came across "Most people in prison," and "Highest incarceration rate."

I'm some what baffled. How can a country that is so developed, and whose slogan is "Land of the Free" have more people in prison than any other nation on the planet?

Does America have too many laws? Do other countries not have enough laws? Is it because America's law enforcement agencies are that much more advanced than other countries? Do Americans, as a general rule of thumb, commit more crimes per capita? I really have no idea, and am interested in what you guys think. Especially the non-American posters.

15+ Year Old Account
    Ronald Reagan

That is why
    Theron/Bloodwatcher 2013!

Quote Originally Posted by Alsompr View Post
    Teasing, misdirection. It's the opposite of a spoiler. People expect one thing? BAM! Another thing happens.

I'm like M. Night fucking Shamylan.

Awful drug policies. Prison systems that breed reoffenders. Shitty welfare systems. Systemic racism in the justice system. Mandatory sentencing.

10+ Year Old Account
    War on Drugs

1/8th of our prisoners are in for nonviolent marijuana charges, for example
    ill probably be infracted for this post

draconian drug laws and the prison industry is a HUGE MONEY MAKER
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prison%...strial_complex

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mistuhbull View Post
    Ronald Reagan

That is why
    "Old Mother Reagan
    And her crew
    She took away
    From me and you!"
    -The Violent Femmes
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum
    Scumbag lawyers/judges and police officers I'm guessing. They are all interchangeable.

You also forgot about privatization of the prison system, combined with crooked judges. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_924324.html

As a European I should say that my country also isnt perfect

Prisons are a business in the US. You figure out the rest.

Deleted
    Private prisions, war on drugs and maybe war on terror.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Because everyone's a Negative Nancy and hates happy.

Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    +1

/10chars

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bolson13 View Post
    As a European I should say that my country also isnt perfect
    Europe's a pretty big country. /wink
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Because they have a massive population compared to other countries? (China and India are omitted of course)

Every discussion I've seen on this discussion has been inundated with misinformation.

The fact is we have extensive anti-drug policies and draconian enforcement in some jurisdiction. Also, the U.S. has a large population, so you'd expect us to have more prison then other, less populated countries.

CORRECT!
    It's good business to have people locked up!
    "If you want to control people, if you want to feed them a pack of lies and dominate them, keep them ignorant. For me, literacy means freedom." - LaVar Burton.

Add in all of the people that are employed by the prison system. Judges, lawyers, cops, bail officers, prison guards, etc. A lot of people make a lot of money by keeping these people locked up. Doesnt help that there is no rehab in prison so when you come out you are likely to reoffend because you didnt receive any help or counselling while inside. It's treated more of a punishment rather than coupling punishment with rehabilitation. This just breeds reoffenders because you will leave a world full of criminals into a world that frowns on criminals. Your only option? Returning to a life of crime.

Quote Originally Posted by Jersovic View Post
    I was going through the List of top international rankings by country and started laughing pretty hysterically when I scrolled down to America and came across "Most people in prison," and "Highest incarceration rate."

I'm some what baffled. How can a country that is so developed, and whose slogan is "Land of the Free" have more people in prison than any other nation on the planet?

Does America have too many laws? Do other countries not have enough laws? Is it because America's law enforcement agencies are that much more advanced than other countries? Do Americans, as a general rule of thumb, commit more crimes per capita? I really have no idea, and am interested in what you guys think. Especially the non-American posters.
    Perhaps it is the idea of "Land of the Free" that causes people to make stupid choices that get them arrested.