Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Been thinking about trying to get 30 points again.

I wanna start over though as a deverish. You have a link to a good guide for a deverish

Deleted
    Dervishes are... fun, but odd. Playing one now, sometimes wish I'd gone with something a little more... normal =p

I saw the kormir outfit in the item shop and went

omfgowijhgw3iohjuwoihuohuw

i wantz it.

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    Been thinking about trying to get 30 points again.

I wanna start over though as a deverish. You have a link to a good guide for a deverish
    Yes.

The Nightfall part of my guide

A question

Assuming i have all GW expansions, but have not played it (well i have, but Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaages ago) at all, and have no knowledge/experience/etc whatsoever (i.e. starting from scratch) - realistically, how far would i be able to get before GW2 launch if i am ONLY interested in getting HoM rewards and nothing else?

Edit: also, the easiest/fastest/etc class and tips would be welcome!
    Last edited by Anakonda; 2012-08-08 at 07:06 PM.
    We dream, we dream.

Quote Originally Posted by Anakonda View Post
    A question

Assuming i have all GW expansions, but have not played it (well i have, but Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaages ago) at all, and have no knowledge/experience/etc whatsoever (i.e. starting from scratch) - realistically, how far would i be able to get before GW2 launch if i am ONLY interested in getting HoM rewards and nothing else?

Edit: also, the easiest/fastest/etc class and tips would be welcome!
    I started day 7 of july and ended day 23 of july. Took me about 160hours of gameplay. I had all expansions since 2009 but never played the game.

Realistically speaking, you might not get 30 points. But I do think you can start and get ahead.

There is the first page of this thread which is a good guide, as for class Ritualist seems to be the wisest choice around. It's hard at first, but once you get it its easy as hell.

Idk if you are willing (I was) I went to the guild wars store and bought all skills unlocks for all expansions. Why? Because saves money and time to make not only your build but Heroes build (which will be your focus if you wanna do this). When I bought they were all 50% off, so I spent like 25 bucks.

As for order I would def do as a Rit

Cantha (Factions expansion, with bonus) > EoTN (for more hero options and unlocking ur HoM) > Elona (Nightfall with all bonus) > You can skip all missions on Prophecies but the last 4 or 5. So easy title here.

More questions if you want more specifics

Quote Originally Posted by Zilong View Post
    I started day 7 of july and ended day 23 of july. Took me about 160hours of gameplay. I had all expansions since 2009 but never played the game.

Realistically speaking, you might not get 30 points. But I do think you can start and get ahead.

There is the first page of this thread which is a good guide, as for class Ritualist seems to be the wisest choice around. It's hard at first, but once you get it its easy as hell.

Idk if you are willing (I was) I went to the guild wars store and bought all skills unlocks for all expansions. Why? Because saves money and time to make not only your build but Heroes build (which will be your focus if you wanna do this). When I bought they were all 50% off, so I spent like 25 bucks.

As for order I would def do as a Rit

Cantha (Factions expansion, with bonus) > EoTN (for more hero options and unlocking ur HoM) > Elona (Nightfall with all bonus) > You can skip all missions on Prophecies but the last 4 or 5. So easy title here.

More questions if you want more specifics
    Yes, more questions!

When im doing a "campaign" - like you said, for example, Cantha - do i just do specific missions, or all that i can see?
    Do i farm / quest / grind?
    Do i group or solo?

Im not new to the whole MMO thing - hell, i had quite a good share of realm firsts in WOW and a few others - but i only played GW once and didnt get very far, so my knowledge there is practically nil.

Essentially anything at all that you could tell me that would make my point journey easy will be highly appreciated!
    We dream, we dream.

Cantha if I'm not wrong have 13 missions. So My advice if you start in this area:
    (Note: Quests and missions are different things).

In the starter area (Monastery) get all the secondary quests you can as it will help you reach level 20, and then proceed only with Primary Quests.
    The primary quests are the quests that leads you to the next mission. So pretty much being a cicle Primary Quest > Primary Quest > Mission > Primary Quest x4 > Missions and so on.

My advice while accomplishing such task is to simply have the wiki always open in this page:

Cantha guide

In this page you will see all the missions like the first missiong "1. Minister's Cho State", before attempting it, click in the mission name and you will get the mission guide link. Read thru it (So you can get the bonus), if you dont get the bonus at first you can always try as many times as you want. In this case you must complete under 20 minutes.

Just repeat this process for all the 4 sets of "expansions" (Prophecies, Factions, Nightfall and EoTN).

---

This is the link for a general guide for 30 HoM points and you can get to the expansions storyline guide from it. Very useful.

----

I rarely did any secondary quest. If I did was because I needed gold but that was very very later on.

You will probably farm, but for that you must first beat all 4 campaigns. You will farm stuff to sell so you can get money to buy more stuff for your Points.

Remember to ALWAYS salvage stuff (for materials). Search on Wiki what materials your class will need for the Elite Armors (for points). For Ritualists I'll tell you right now the most cheapest ones that doesn't involve any rep grind. (Elite Ancient, Elite Canthan, Elite Imperial, Elite Kurzick/Luxon, Elite Exotic, just google them and save the materials you find for those, sell the rest for moneys.)

-------

As for solo or group.

All content is soloable with the henchmens, but at some point you will have enough Heroes to discard all henchmens and make life easier (if you have a good build for your heroes of course). Some missions are hard to get the BONUS without someone to go with you. But I did MOST of my missions alone.

---------

Truly the best advice I can give you is: Socialize.

Get a guild that will help you with HoM (They even advertise on chat), get connections inside the game. Like it or not gw2 is coming and some if not alot of the gamers are going to go for it, meaning all they have/had is less "worth" or even some just like to help. Ask for help in big cities like Kamadan, or even on the mission lobby you are about to enter. I've got QUITE alot of goodies (at least 8 of my points were due to donations and help).

Also a Reminder that even tho with gw2 may have an impact of "worthiness" in a lesser way. I believe that the ones that aren't quitting the game can only profit with the high demand of items (specially for HoM). So always use argo-soft.net and use the search to check what ppl are selling. When you search you will have alot of lines to look for. Say you want to know how much an ecto is. Type ecto and read the lines and you will have a base of price .

I started off as a mesmer. Worst thing you can possibly do :'(

Devrish is also another one of those complicated classes. I would suggest ritualist or elementalist. However cantha is quite enjoyable. I rerolled a ritualist awhile back and stopped because of the 3 faction grind or something.

Deleted
    Trying myself to get some more points in the HoM. Too bad I haven't played GW for very long. Some of those things require quite a bit of money. But I've got the armor sets, at least. That's a start.

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    I started off as a mesmer. Worst thing you can possibly do :'(

Devrish is also another one of those complicated classes. I would suggest ritualist or elementalist. However cantha is quite enjoyable. I rerolled a ritualist awhile back and stopped because of the 3 faction grind or something.
    Honestly, Dervish is a pretty easy profession. The mesmer isn't really suited for PvE though.

Deleted
    So, turns out that I've been doing the wrong quests in Factions. Guess who's an idiot?!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Agile Emily View Post
    So, turns out that I've been doing the wrong quests in Factions. Guess who's an idiot?!
    William Wordsworth?

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodhunter View Post
    Honestly, Dervish is a pretty easy profession. The mesmer isn't really suited for PvE though.
    Tell me about it. Wish I'd not picked Mesmer.
    Stupid January mesmer hype :/

---------- Post added 2012-08-09 at 11:28 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Agile Emily View Post
    I know!
    But don't want an infraction

An SoS (Signet of Spirits) Ritualist is the best way to go for running pve solo in GW. If I had to do it all over again I'd definitely go that route.

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrelbanes View Post
    Tell me about it. Wish I'd not picked Mesmer.
    Stupid January mesmer hype :/
    I have a Mesmer for years, it's pretty do-able. Just not the best advice for a first-timer

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodhunter View Post
    I have a Mesmer for years, it's pretty do-able. Just not the best advice for a first-timer
    Yh...I've done a lot of things with him now...they're ofc brilliant for countering abilities and can pump out some nice aoe damage...but heroes do the countering better and there are heavier aoe professions.
    It's a fun one to play though I think once u get them working right.
    Still.....wish I'd rolled ele.

Mesmer is probably my second least played alt, after my Paragon. Just never clicked with the profession. Did play her enough to get the elite canthan armor though as I love the look.

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    Mesmer is probably my second least played alt, after my Paragon. Just never clicked with the profession. Did play her enough to get the elite canthan armor though as I love the look.
    Elite norn...dyed striking purple.
    I'm super fantastic baby.

Yeeeahhh... My GW1 account;

4 Rangers
    3 Warriors
    2 Necromancers
    2 Assassins
    2 Ritualists
    2 Monks
    1 Mesmer
    1 Elementalist
    1 Paragon