Poll: ?

Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

Does [The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind] work on Windows 7?

Hello. I've always wanted to play Morrowind but I know it was created before Windows 7 came out and they havent updated Morrowind since Oblivion came out if I remember correctly. Steam puts under it's requirements as following: Windows ME/98/XP/2000.

But, I have heard people say they've played it on Windows 7 fine and even seen videos.

Is this true? And please, don't troll me. :\ Thanks!

Please don't make multiple threads asking the same questions.
    Last edited by Sj; 2012-08-05 at 11:27 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just about anything that can be playedon 98+ can be played on 7. There are some rare 16-bit games that have issues but morrowind should run fine.

You can get the game on Steam, so unless Valve and Bethesda are trolling everyone it will still run on all current operating systems that Steam supports, hence Windows 7. And even if it doesn't work on Windows 7, there are ways to get around that limitation within Windows itself or with third party programs. Its all just a Google search away.
    Last edited by agathangalos; 2012-08-04 at 05:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Just about anything that can be playedon 98+ can be played on 7. There are some rare 16-bit games that have issues but morrowind should run fine.
    The thing that worries me is that Fallout 3 doesn't work on my computer, and it's newer.

---------- Post added 2012-08-04 at 05:31 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by agathangalos View Post
    You can get the game on Steam, so unless Valve and Bethesda are trolling everyone it will still run on all current operating systems that Steam supports, hence Windows 7.
    As I said above. I got Fallout 3 on Steam and it doesn't work on my Windows 7 and it's newer.

Quote Originally Posted by Hanith View Post
    The thing that worries me is that Fallout 3 doesn't work on my computer, and it's newer.

As I said above. I got Fallout 3 on Steam and it doesn't work on my Windows 7 and it's newer.
    Have you tried googling fixes for fallout?

I was just playing Fallout 3 the other night. On my Windows 7 computer. I'm not sure what you're smoking?

10+ Year Old Account
    Fallout 3 came out MUCH later, and works. I think you have a specific issue with Fallout. Morrowind is MUCH older, where concern is legitimate, but I can't think of a reason it won't work.

Quote Originally Posted by b0sanac View Post
    Have you tried googling fixes for fallout?
    Yep. None of them work. If you know of any, please tell me. :P

10+ Year Old Account
    You'd need to explain the situation better than "it doesn't work", and also post specs.

You'd need to explain the situation better than "it doesn't work", and also post specs.
    1. It crashes when I click "new game". Also, where do I find my specs?

15+ Year Old Account
    It will run fine on Win 7. If MS Baseball Mogul 2001 will run on Windows 7, then Morrowind will certainly have no issues.

You have to go as far back as the decade before last to hit games that won't run on Win 7, and even then there's really just exceptions and not rules. I have a few games that won't. Duke Nukem 3D, FPS Baseball Pro '95, and I think one other one that I own won't run. Everything else runs just fine.
    Fenixdown (retail) : level 60 priest. 2005-2015, 2022-???? (returned!)
    Fenixdown (classic) : level 70 priest. 2019 - present

Oh and other Windows 7 users have Fallout 3 problems, not just me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Usually people know what computer they buy >.>

I guess the best way is to go to Control Panel -> System.. That will show CPU and RAM.

Then go to the start/search bar and type DXDIAG and on the new window click Display tab, and from there that will tell you what video card you have.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've been playing Morrowind for the past couple of days on Win7 64 bit perfectly fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh and other Windows 7 users have Fallout 3 problems, not just me.
    That really doesn't mean anything. That's like saying lots of people with windows computers break, so windows is obviously the issue. As opposed to... Thats... what computers do.

If it doesn't run, you can right click on the game icon > properties > compatibility tab > choose an older OS mode for it to run on.
    Intel i5 6600k - Gigabyte Z170X-UD3 - Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4 @ 2400Mhz - Asus Strix GTX 1080 - Asus PG279Q - Samsung Evo 850 500GB SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Bryanator1989 View Post
    If it doesn't run, you can right click on the game icon > properties > compatibility tab > choose an older OS mode for it to run on.
    I cannot find the Compatibility Tab

---------- Post added 2012-08-04 at 05:53 AM ----------

Usually people know what computer they buy >.>

I guess the best way is to go to Control Panel -> System.. That will show CPU and RAM.

Then go to the start/search bar and type DXDIAG and on the new window click Display tab, and from there that will tell you what video card you have.
    I can't find it under system. What is it you need again?

10+ Year Old Account
    Its literally the System icon. You double click it. That shows you CPU and RAM.

The start bar thing is separate, and will get you GPU info

10+ Year Old Account
    It does run quite well, be aware though that Morrowind doesn't support wide-screen or any kind of higher resolution (unless bethseda patched it somewhere in the last year).
    There are decent graphics enhancer mods that do that job though, don't have the time right now to find the one I used for a long time but can look tonight if you can't find one yourself. You'll never achieve Skyrim-like graphics of course, but if you can look past that it's still a game worth playing if you enjoy The Elder Scrolls series (A lot better than Oblivion actually imo)

Its literally the System icon. You double click it. That shows you CPU and RAM.

The start bar thing is separate, and will get you GPU info
    I am on Control Panel > System and Security > System

I cannot find CPU and RAM.

---------- Post added 2012-08-04 at 06:06 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Itko View Post
    It does run quite well, be aware though that Morrowind doesn't support wide-screen or any kind of higher resolution (unless bethseda patched it somewhere in the last year).
    There are decent graphics enhancer mods that do that job though, don't have the time right now to find the one I used for a long time but can look tonight if you can't find one yourself. You'll never achieve Skyrim-like graphics of course, but if you can look past that it's still a game worth playing if you enjoy The Elder Scrolls series (A lot better than Oblivion actually imo)
    I am just curious, I'd get it anyway, but is there any humanoid model upgrade mod?