Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzzie View Post
    Doesn't really work like that though. That would be like Canada counting the US and all the Caribbean nations medals as well. Just not how the Olympics works.
    Shouldn't Canada count for the EU?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jotabe View Post
    Shouldn't Canada count for the EU?
    If you`re going to make imaginary lines and start counting that way then you may as well just manufacture your own medals and stop when you`re satisfied. It really becomes meaningless.

Deleted
    If you`re going to make imaginary lines and start counting that way then you may as well just manufacture your own medals and stop when you`re satisfied. It really becomes meaningless.
    It is meaningless! It's just good to have fun arguing about and stuff. It only has meaning for those whose ego is fed by national pride.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jotabe View Post
    It is meaningless! It's just good to have fun arguing about and stuff. It only has meaning for those whose ego is fed by national pride.
    You make it sound as if anyone who cares about their country winning an event at the Olympics is overly nationalistic and an egotistical. It's not true. There's nothing wrong with watching your country do well. I also enjoy watching events that my country isn't even competing in so go figure.

Some people just don't get it. Their either bored by it or have some issue with the Olympics. People who dislike things also happen to be the most vocal about it. I don't really feel like arguing so...

Nothing wrong with National pride at all, that is mostly what the Olympics is about to be honest.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    Nothing wrong with National pride at all, that is mostly what the Olympics is about to be honest.
    I couldn't care less for my country. I just like athletes compete, I don't care if my country wins or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Werrezer View Post
    I couldn't care less for my country. I just like athletes compete, I don't care if my country wins or not.
    I feel the same way. I watch to see people achieve lifelong dreams and be acknowledged as the best at what they've dedicated themselves to. Whether they're Russian, Chinese, Jamaican, American or whatever is irrelevant.

I don't think anyone has done a state by state comparison. But I'd venture that California has a huge base of players. The US has somewhere around 550. Most of the volleyball players (beach and indoor) are from there. You also have to realize that tons of athletes from other countries are actually born and raised in America, just have parents that have citizenship in other countries, thus those participants have dual-citizenship and can race for a different nation.

Personally, I'd find that to be a more interesting study to find out how many people on other countries train and live in the US, and how many were born in the USA too.

Deleted
    You make it sound as if anyone who cares about their country winning an event at the Olympics is overly nationalistic and an egotistical. It's not true. There's nothing wrong with watching your country do well. I also enjoy watching events that my country isn't even competing in so go figure.

Some people just don't get it. Their either bored by it or have some issue with the Olympics. People who dislike things also happen to be the most vocal about it. I don't really feel like arguing so...
    Yes, i think it is as you say. I watch the olympics mostly only when i know there's a spaniard with medal chances. It's good then going to forums and having a quick laugh about how awesome my country is and stuff. But caring about it beyond having some fun? Actually being sad if we lose? Geezuz, that's being nationalistic and egotistical alright! It's not as if i'm going to get paid less or if my family is going to stop loving me if they lose!

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    I enjoy watching my country win. If I was at the Olympics I would have my face painted and be dressed up like an American flag (mostly because I'm a bit of a dork but w/e). I love my country and I don't see that as a bad thing. If someone's dreams are crushed at the hands of the USA I'm happy Mind you this time next week I probably won't care anymore, but that is mostly because NFL preseason games have started.