Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I have no idea what the most popular sports are in Croatia..

I guess Soccer, Athletics, Handball and swimming. That's about all I know.

I just wait for the day when sport climbing takes over the world!

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Handball and football really. Even though we utterly suck at football. Honestly, ever since we won in Mexico in '92 we've been living in this bubble where we think we are the bees knees at football, when in all honesty - we suck. *Sigh*

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Deleted
    Holland

Football
    Hockey
    golf
    Basketball
    Baseball
    American Football

Surprised there is no Tennis... NO TENNIS???!??! i think its more populair than american football, except maybe in america

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flappy View Post
    1. Pro Football
    2. College Football
    3. College Basketball
    4. Pro Basketball
    5. Pro Baseball
    109. Soccer
    This, go America. Except I'd put soccer down at like 1009 with like....ping pong being lower.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kissme View Post
    The problem comes when bad players expect to clear hardmode content as quickly as average or upper echelon players.
    Accept your limitations.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Admittedly, I enjoy beer more as a beverage that I can appreciate rather then getting drunk.

10+ Year Old Account
    England

1: Football
    2: Cricket
    3: Rugby
    4: F1
    5: Tennis

People will point at Wimbledon and note how it gets far more attention than F1, but the rest of the tour seems to pass by, whereas F1 has a constant interest throughout the season with peaks at Monaco and Silverstone.

Football is by far and large the dominant sport in England though, it fills the pubs and sells the satellite and cable subscriptions.
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

Depends if you're talking about doing it or watching it. The other replies I've seen for UK are, I think, as spectator sports. If you're talking about sports we participate in, I'd probably go something like:

Football
    Badminton
    Cycling
    Running
    Golf.

No idea about order, though.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't put Badminton over Tennis if we're talking about active participation. Same goes for Cricket and Rugby. There's an awful lot of Sunday league cricket teams and Rugby dominates the University level of sport, and carries on to Sunday league too.

Deleted
    England:

1) Football
    2) Rugby Union (S) Rugby League (N)
    3) Rugby League (S) Rugby League (N)
    4) Cricket
    5) F1
    6) Horse Racing?
    7) Tennis

I have noticed that watching any Rugby League Matchs the teams seem to be from towns or cities in the North of England rather than the south.
    Ascot, Epson, Grand National. The big horse races get alot of air time in England.
    Tennis is more a case of Wimbledon for the English, you get some of the other tournaments on the minor channels (ITV4 had aired some of the clay court tennis but thats not one of the main channels)

Football gets the majority of air time Carling cup, FA cup, occasional league game, Champions League and Europa League games are all aired on the free channels.

Quote Originally Posted by Crysthalica View Post
    It's kind of a mix between football and hockey, it's played on ice, it has a small ball (like a baseball I'd say), you use sticks to shoot it, the goals are big and goalkeepers probably have a 1% save percentage (not too fond of it myself, it's mostly played in the northern parts of Sweden). You could also check out the wikipedia page for it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bandy
    It's played outdoors to, not indoors, only reason people like it's becasue it's nice to get out and get a "snow tan", have some coffee and freeze your bloody ass off

Sweden, just my gut feeling

Football(soccer)
    Ice Hockey
    Track & Field
    Handball
    Speedway
    Cross country skiing

Floorball, Tennis, Golf, Horse Sports, Sailing/boat sports, Motorsports, Bandy etc got their share of followers as well.

Cross-Country skiing is huge, in it's own way, it's tradition, Vasa-Loppet is one of those things that always gets loads of media for example and swedes from all over the country participates, but I'm not sure it gets the blood boiling in THAT many swedes when it comes to competitions.

I think every swede knows someone or a couple of people that has raced Vasa-loppet though.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vasaloppet
    Last edited by Jackmoves; 2012-08-05 at 11:19 AM.
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

10+ Year Old Account
    I completely forgot about the Horse Racing, good shout. It certainly trades a lot of money at the bookmakers.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    For sweden: When it comes to like active members its somewhere around

Football
    Golf
    Floorball
    Track and Field
    Gymnastics
    Icehockey

not really sure where to put in cross-country skiing cause its pretty big but I can't really seems to find numbers for it

if we are talking like spectators though

the top 6 is (and this is actually going to see the sports rather then watching from home)

Icehockey
    Football
    Motorsports
    Floorball
    Handball
    Horse stuff

on the TV top 6 is

Football
    Bandy
    Track and Field
    Icehockey
    Alpine skiing
    Cross-Country skiing
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier, TF2
    "You were good son, real good; maybe even the best."

Quote Originally Posted by Fengore View Post
    England

1: Football
    2: Cricket
    3: Rugby
    4: F1
    5: Tennis

People will point at Wimbledon and note how it gets far more attention than F1, but the rest of the tour seems to pass by, whereas F1 has a constant interest throughout the season with peaks at Monaco and Silverstone.

Football is by far and large the dominant sport in England though, it fills the pubs and sells the satellite and cable subscriptions.
    This + Ice hocky is becomming a bit more popular. Well especially in nottingham. Tends to half fill an arena weekly.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by jex1138 View Post
    O/T I Love this print, which I found in an op shop for 2 dollars many years ago.
    Trade the medieval weapons for firearms and explosives and you get our scandinavian military as it is today. Not even joking. =)

OT: Sweden

Hockey
    Football (Soccer)
    Floorball (Indoor Bandy)
    Alpine skiing
    Cross-country skiing
    Handball

While football is number one by attendance, I'd like to think hockey is a more popular sport in sweden when it comes to events and such. Most swedes likes hockey, but far from all of us likes football.

Also, I've seen a few swedes in here claiming that speedway is a popular sport. As it may be in their region, it's not a very wide spread sport in the country and there's only a few people actually riding those bikes. Floorball, handball and skiing are all far more exerted (is that a proper way to use that word?) than sweedway. Not to bash speedway in any way, just trying to be objective.

Guess we're pretty similar to canadians, saw one of them writing hockey on like four out of six choices and that's probably how my personal list would look like aswell.

10+ Year Old Account
    Iran:

Football (Soccer)
    Wrestling
    Volleyball
    Basketball
    Martial Arts (Taekwondo, Judo and Karate)

"Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    Handball and football really. Even though we utterly suck at football. Honestly, ever since we won in Mexico in '92 we've been living in this bubble where we think we are the bees knees at football, when in all honesty - we suck. *Sigh*
    Include country.... You could be speaking about Bangladesh, Cayman Islands or France for all we know.

Quote Originally Posted by Lepo View Post
    Also, I've seen a few swedes in here claiming that speedway is a popular sport. As it may be in their region, it's not a very wide spread sport in the country and there's only a few people actually riding those bikes. Floorball, handball and skiing are all far more exerted (is that a proper way to use that word?) than sweedway. Not to bash speedway in any way, just trying to be objective.
    Speedway is probably more concentrated to the southern parts of Sweden, but it draws the third-most attendance out of all sports. Also, in southern Sweden, hockey is in no way more popular than football. Not many young people play it, while basically every kid (boy and girl) plays football when they are young.

10+ Year Old Account
    depends which sportsman is most succesfull, then sudendly entire nation becomes "i was fan of this sport since the day i was born"...

10+ Year Old Account
    Football, college football.
    Basketball, college basketball.

10+ Year Old Account
    Europe

1. Football.

/end

Wish it were Formula 1, Superbike, Snooker, Curling or golf though...
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

10+ Year Old Account
    UK
    1.Football (soccer)
    2. Rugby Union
    3. Cricket
    4. Rugby League
    5. Swimming
    6.Tennis

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by nicechap View Post
    France, based on the number of licenced players:
    1. football
    2. tennis
    3. judo/ju-jitsu
    4. basketball
    5. handball
    6. rugby

Now for TV/live audience, things are a bit different, as cycling gets a lot of interest for instance.
    Rugby too, as people tend to like watching it more and more, but actually playing the game is another thing entirely . But even then, the amount of licenced players has been growing quite a lot these last ten years.