Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Any mmorpg with raiding similar like vanilla

(first of all I don't want to cause any Vanilla was the best pewpew raiding QQ discussions here so don't bother if you're here for that)

But me and two friends are currently raiding on a vanilla priv server (we can't stand how WoW is today with cataclysm) but we'd like to play some kind of "New" mmorpg with the same kind of feeling, where you progress and work hard for your gear etc. Or a game with real world pvp.

So does anybody have any good tips on a MMO like this?
    Cheers
    I thought I did, but apparently I don't

If you die you die but if you don't die you still die.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Edison View Post
    (first of all I don't want to cause any Vanilla was the best pewpew raiding QQ discussions here so don't bother if you're here for that)

[...] (we can't stand how WoW is today with cataclysm)
    seems u contradicted ur own statement^^

but on topic it seems like gw2 will be pvp focused and the pvp (especially world vs world) looks very epic and interesting

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Abba View Post
    seems u contradicted ur own statement^^

but on topic it seems like gw2 will be pvp focused and the pvp (especially world vs world) looks very epic and interesting
    Yes but we still want a MMO with gear progression, where you get rewarded for putting down time.

Deleted
    You should check out RIFT. It's not exactly how it was back then, with only 1 specc being viable for 1 class. 1 class only buffing, one for dispel etc... But the mechanics are way more basic than that of todays wow

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lunarath View Post
    You should check out RIFT. It's not exactly how it was back then, with only 1 specc being viable for 1 class. 1 class only buffing, one for dispel etc... But the mechanics are way more basic than that of todays wow
    How's the world pvp in rift and the progression? I mean do you do one raid at a time to get gear for the next one or do you just farm dungeons to easily get up to the latest tier to down all the bosses in one night?

How's the world pvp in rift and the progression? I mean do you do one raid at a time to get gear for the next one or do you just farm dungeons to easily get up to the latest tier to down all the bosses in one night?
    You do one raid at the time unless you get carried by guilds who already have everything on farm, you can skip the first raid though if you get all the 5man experts/masters and inscribed sourcestone (currency you get from instant adventures and rifts) gear.
    The PvP exists since there's no flying mounts and instant adventure/rifts gets people out in the world.
    But it's really gear based, you don't have a chance against anyone in the best pvp gear.

I still think EQ2 has the best PvE endgame though if you can deal with outdated graphics, but I guess nostalgia makes my opinion of EQ2 sort of bias.
    Last edited by Ighox; 2012-08-05 at 09:55 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ighox View Post
    You do one raid at the time unless you get carried by guilds who already have everything on farm, you can skip the first raid though if you get all the 5man experts/masters and inscribed sourcestone (currency you get from instant adventures and rifts) gear.
    The PvP exists since there's no flying mounts and instant adventure/rifts gets people out in the world.
    But it's really gear based, you don't have a chance against anyone in the best pvp gear.
    sounds pretty good to me, how is with pve gear and pvping?

Long time since I played but from what I remember its a lot like Alterac Valley in Vanilla. If you are poorly geared there will be hunters in shadowmeld one shotting you with Aimed Shot.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    If you want raiding similiar to a 7 year old game, I suggest you try something about as old or older... Like DaOC or EQ.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

RIFT raiding is pretty much how it was in TBC. Then you have 10 times more stuff to do when you are not raiding.

The PvE part of RIFT is pretty much an improved version of TBC.

But me and two friends are currently raiding on a vanilla priv server (we can't stand how WoW is today with cataclysm) but we'd like to play some kind of "New" mmorpg with the same kind of feeling, where you progress and work hard for your gear etc. Or a game with real world pvp.

So does anybody have any good tips on a MMO like this?
    Cheers
    Well, Rift is about the same as WoW in TBC in my opinion. Better, Can't vouch for vanilla as I played only a bit of it. Rift is the best MMO I have ever played and I have tried a few. Prettier too. Not as grindy as Vanilla, however.

EDIT: He he - after I posted, I saw the poster above me made the same comparison

EDIT: Lets also not forget the content updates are quicker, better, faster than WoW and that the game world is about to increase about 3x in size in the next expansion coming soon.
    Last edited by kondura; 2012-08-05 at 11:26 PM.

Shards of Dalaya is a Everquest based server, focused mainly on Raiding. There are many tiers of content and you need to progress through earlier tiers in order to reach "End Game". The content is very challenging and is a must-try for die-hard vanilla wow fans.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd go with EQ1. Especially if there is a progressive server up.
    Progressive server meaning staggering the patches from vanilla to next expansions, etc. Via community vote or by a timer.

PvE gear is fine in PvP, the best setup for PvP is a combination of PvE/PvP items but with the best PvE items you'll be around the same level as the people in the best PvP gear, you're going to want a few specific items from PvP like trinkets and runes (enchants sort of), but they have changed the PvP system a lot since launch and they'll probably change it more as well.

But they have a trial so you got nothing to lose by trying it, I don't play actively anymore but Rift was still more than worth the money and even if I would have hated it I wouldn't have felt bad because Trion is what every MMO developer should be like.

@whoever talked about 1-shotting, that's not really happening on the same level anymore since they added bolstering, anyone under a certain itemlevel gets boosted stats in battlegrounds.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    If you want raiding similiar to a 7 year old game, I suggest you try something about as old or older... Like DaOC or EQ.
    I don't want something old, i'm basicly trying to find a game that isn't focusing so much on the casual players (I'm not saying being a casual player is a bad thing i'm just not for the whole welfare epics system)

We're probably gonna check out Rift for a while and see how the raiding is
    Last edited by Edison; 2012-08-06 at 12:52 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    From someone who doesn't play it so completely unbiased, I'll agree with Rift too.

Rift is really the only MMO on the market with WoW like endgame that isn't horribly outdated to the point where you focus on that more than what you are actually doing. If you want a game just like WoW, it's probably the only MMO active enough that you'll enjoy. They seem to be pushing content out quickly and care what their playerbase wants.

I have no idea what world PvP is like on Rift, but GW2 will probably be the best PvP game you'll find that will be active. It has no 'endgame' though, so raiding like WoW won't be in it at all.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lillpapps View Post
    RIFT raiding is pretty much how it was in TBC. Then you have 10 times more stuff to do when you are not raiding.

The PvE part of RIFT is pretty much an improved version of TBC.
    Sound to good to be truth, can you give some examples?

10+ Year Old Account
    Warna play old pvp game. go for ultima online.
    Inactive Wow Player Raider.IO | Inactive D3 Player | Permanent Retired EVE Player | Inactive Wot Player | Retired Openraid Raid Leader| Inactive Overwatch Player | Inactive HotS player | Youtube / Twitter | Steam | My Setup

But me and two friends are currently raiding on a vanilla priv server
    How do you play on a private server? I'm quite interested in playing vanilla WoW again

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
    How do you play on a private server? I'm quite interested in playing vanilla WoW again
    Against the ToS, can't discuss it on our forums.