Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Good Picks for starting Jungle

Hello im a lvl 26 player on EuNe and nowadays im mostly playing in normal draft mode.There u get a (good) jungler once every 3 games or im just unlucky and now i want to take the matter into my own hands.Im starting to build my first tier 3 rune page and already got armor seals now im asking the forum wich of my champions would be a good pick to start learning and maybe a few easy jungeling paths.

Champions: Shyvana, Skarner, Shaco, Trynd, Cho Gath, Fizz, Amummu and maybe i could buy Warwick
    -Also can suggest other champions

Apologies for grammar and other mistakes since it is my first time making a thread and your help will be appriciated . Thanks!

I've seen Shyvana, Shaco and Amumu (and Warwick) all jungle pretty well. I really prefer Olaf/Maokai in the jungle but that may be personal choice. Check out the guides for your champs on solomid/mobafire as well, as they can be invaluable to a new jungler (probably). I think Skarner jungles pretty well afaik.

EDIT: and Mundo. Because Mundo goes where he pleases.
    Last edited by Fenlnir; 2012-08-06 at 01:35 AM.
    <-- That is otterly adorable.

Nocturne is easy to pick up, a really good jungler (fast and good sustain). But like WW, he somewhat requires level 6 to be a great ganker.

Shyvana's jungle is very easy and fast I would recommend it for beginners as her sustain is great. But lacks cc so you'll need others to provide that for you in your ganks, Has a great late game.

Cho'gath is another great jungle he clearing is okay and I find myself having poor sustain earlly but great sustain later, Can pull off some great ganks and great clearing mid-late game. Strong late game and team fight pressence.

Shaco mostly just snowballs from ganks.

These are just my opinions and I have to say if you want a good jungler who has great sustain since your just practicing and getting to learn the flow of things nunu is the champ for you, I used him to learn and still use him a fair bit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for the help will probably try Shyvana and Nunu first then maybe get Noc.The last question i have is wich champ can do the best without the full rune page i have some armor seals and other crit runes (bought a lot of tier 2 crit runes - mistake).

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'd say Warwick. He has a lot of self heal and good sustain if you don't rape your Q without blue buff, but as it was mentioned, poor ganks untill level 6. Lee Sin is also a fairly good jungler, but requires a bit more skill to play, but once you get a hang of him, you'll love him!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by abb93 View Post
    I'd say Warwick. He has a lot of self heal and good sustain if you don't rape your Q without blue buff, but as it was mentioned, poor ganks untill level 6. Lee Sin is also a fairly good jungler, but requires a bit more skill to play, but once you get a hang of him, you'll love him!
    Thanks for the tip but il probably avoid Lee Sin never liked his play style

Deleted
    Well if you want to take matters in your own hands i would say skarner, I can't tell you how many times i made a bad team win a game just because of the flash ulti on their ad carry.

He has great sustain in jungle, once you get to a champion to gank when you have red buff then they won't be able to get away.

If he gets fed and can get early Trinity then nothing will stop him and he can just snowball and carry the game from there because of his ability to just knock a person out of their team (given ofcourse that they are dumb and don't buy QSS)

Deleted
    Amumu, Nautilus and Maokai are excellent if you're new at jungling. Good sustain, decent clear-time (save for Nauti at early levels), and great ganking potential.

Nocturne is a good choice aswell, simple champion, great clear-time and good sustain once you obtain some lifesteal.

If you need any specific build info, skillset or any other things, check out guides @ solomid.net (mobafire is trash), or ask here.

10+ Year Old Account
    Skarner, Cho'Gath, and Amumu are great junglers to start with that just get stronger as you get better at the role. Cho and Amumu transition well into tanks late game, and they bring really good CC for ganks. Skarner can build tanky, but he is a bruiser at heart so you need some minor damage items on him. I grab Sheen and/or Wit's End. You don't normally have the gold for both (but if you can get both you will destroy everyone), so the Sheen build is better for beginner Skarner players since it costs less.

WW is a great jungler to learn jungle routes with since he can do anything and has the best sustain of any jungler, but his pre-6 ganks are terrible and his clear is atrocious. You would be better off just skipping him unless its a custom game to practice different jungle routes.

And Lyriok has it a little backwards. Shyvana has bad sustain but fantastic clears, while Cho has great sustain (passive) and it takes a few levels for his clear to speed up.

Oh, and if you want to play Nunu, he is played a little differently than other junglers. His Q makes him awesome at stealing buffs and camps, so you pretty much just run around with an oracles, clearing wards and stealing the other jungle (while ganking and farming yours of course). He certainly is not for beginner junglers since you won't be good at invading or counter-jungling, which is how you use Nunu to his full potential.
    Last edited by Axethor; 2012-08-06 at 01:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Axethor View Post
    Lyriok has it a little backwards. Shyvana has bad sustain but fantastic clears, while Cho has great sustain (passive) and it takes a few levels for his clear to speed up.
    I find myself having better sustain on Shyv compared to Cho, It feels as if when im Cho im taking more damage in the jungle, I suppose it could be the clear time difference and runes that im using. Rolling with magic pen for the time being, in the process of getting AS marks to support his E for a faster clear compared to AD marks on shyv.

Congrats on now being a mod by the way!
    Last edited by Lyriok; 2012-08-06 at 03:57 AM.

Haven't seen him mentioned yet but Hecarim is a personal favorite of mine. His clear time is good but for maximum potential you really need a separate rune page for him that has movement speed quintessences, however it's quite optional and not necessary.

His ganks are devastating after 6 and prior to 6 they are pretty decent if you can get his E positioned properly. Seen a lot of people ruin potential ganks by knocking the target forward with their E rather then just letting it go if they know they can't get around the target in time. To assist in this, grabbing Ghost instead of Flash is a must. Not only does this let him cover a ton of ground while both E and Ghost are active, but you gain a large chunk of AD for that initial hit (and if timed right, you're first Q).

Just my 2 cents for a quite underplayed champ.

Deleted
    Nocturne is probably the safest and easiest pick to start with. His jungle is fast and safe, while his ganks are strong. Going for a level 2 and taking fear is risky, but if you take the right path it will probably force a flash at the very least. After 6 his ganks go from good to godlike, and his lategame presence is amazing too because you can ult the AP/AD carry with your high damage but still tanky as fuck build and gib that guy. It was my go-to jungler for ranked on NA and I carried all my games with him. I had a very standard build with only 2 "interchangeable" items, but with atma's being nerfed I don't think it'd work that way anymore

After making a mastery/rune set that's more appropriate for Cho I completely agree with his awesome sustain.
    Last edited by Lyriok; 2012-08-06 at 07:38 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Shyvana and Mundo are stupidly easy to jungle with. Nunu and Warwick are extremely safe, though slightly less powerful. Nunu still has some mean ganks and incredible counter jungling though.

Trundle is an often overlooked pick who will whomp anyone who dares comes into his jungle (no matter which side of the map they're on, it's his jungle) over the head with a big massive club.

From the champions you listed, I'd go Shyvana, with Skarner as second choice. Skarner's pretty idiot-proof. Even the biggest moron knows he's supposed to engage when that scorpion comes dragging an enemy to him.

Fizz is a good jungler, but very unorthodox build and people might not react well to him. Additionally, he does have some trickiness which makes him a fair bit harder than some of the other junglers.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyriok View Post
    I find myself having better sustain on Shyv compared to Cho, It feels as if when im Cho im taking more damage in the jungle, I suppose it could be the clear time difference and runes that im using. Rolling with magic pen for the time being, in the process of getting AS marks to support his E for a faster clear compared to AD marks on shyv.
    Must be your setup for him. I'm using 0/21/9, AS reds, armor yellows and can start with boots and the health pots are there for champion encounters. You shouldn't need them in the jungle.

I never really liked shyv because she got no sustain at all [other reason might be that I prefer being a walking CC bot terrorizing the lane ].

EDIT: i should post a bit faster

Everyone got preferences. I'd suggest trying every jungler when he's free to find the ones you really like.

10+ Year Old Account
    Since you said that you have shyvana, I would start with her. She has a terrific clear speed, and once she gets wriggles her jungle clear is insane. She also has the nice ability to instantly kill wards as they are placed. (Auto, then Q because her Q counts as two autos)

My main problem with shyvana is that she lacks any cc. She does have the knockback on her ult, but it is very unreliable. She can become very tanky very quickly though, which makes her an ideal jungler. Against less coordinated teams you will get focused a lot since you are the huge dragon that is running around with fire everywhere. Which is usually good, because the rest of your team can follow up.

Skarner is alright. You did mention that you were playing draft pick, so you will actually know what you are against. I don't have much exp on him, I just know that he is pretty durable, and he's got a pretty good clear time.

And I would really recommend watching stonewall's videos. He is a really good jungler that puts out all sorts of tutorials and fights that he explains. They really help a lot. He recently put out a cho'gath one, if you are looking to try that too.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMayor View Post

Champions: Shyvana, Skarner, Shaco, Trynd, Cho Gath, Fizz, Amummu and maybe i could buy Warwick
    -Also can suggest other champions
    Shyvana, Skarner, Amummu, Maokai, Nautilus, Dr. Mundo, Udyr, Nocturne

Pick any of these, and you'll be fine.
    "There are two types of guys in this world. Guys who sniff their fingers after scratching their balls, and dirty fucking liars." -StylesClashv3
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Not finding-a-cock-on-your-girlfriend-is-normal level of odd, but nevertheless, still odd.

Jarven IV is recommended by Stonewall, and I have to agree. He isn't amazing in any one area, but he is solid in all of them. Ok clear times, good/great ganks, decent invasion, works well into late game and has a decent amount of flexibility in builds (can work as either an assassin, bruiser, or tank).

Warwick is the best to learn jungle on, simply because of how effortlessly safe he is.

Nocturne is one of the strongest junglers in the game, and also doesn't have the handicap that warwick does of requiring 6 to gank reasonably.

Shyvana and mundo are the only strong junglers i would really stay away from while learning, simply because they are much different in play style from the standard clear to 4 then find a gank, and in shyvanas case, has absolute trash tier ganks on her own.
    It's called Bloodlust not Heroism.
    I used to be a good player once. Now I'm a casual