Page 1 of 3
LastLast

GTX 560 wont "accept" dual monitor?

Hello guys!

I just hooked up my seccond monitor, but i can't get it to work it seems. Now it seems like my graphic card notices that it's plugged in, but my monitor keep on being in standby mode, and i can't seem to be able to find a solution. I never tried anything like this before, so if you had any input on my problem, it would be greatly appreciated!

nice weekends to ya all

Quote Originally Posted by Snixs View Post
    Hello guys!

I just hooked up my seccond monitor, but i can't get it to work it seems. Now it seems like my graphic card notices that it's plugged in, but my monitor keep on being in standby mode, and i can't seem to be able to find a solution. I never tried anything like this before, so if you had any input on my problem, it would be greatly appreciated!

nice weekends to ya all
    Well... a Geforce 560 is typically two DVI-D ports, but some models can vary and have HDMI/Displayport or whatver. What connection are you using on both of these monitors? It frankly shouldn't matter though as long as the cables are good as well as the ports on those monitors AND video card. You additionally NEED to enable multimonitor output on your operating system as well (Windows Key P is a quick way to set a multimonitor mode), but you should be able to set this via your nVidia control panel as well. A test I would do is plug each monitor in individually in the known good port on the video card and see if it works. If it does see if it does on the OTHER monitor connection on the video card. If it doesn't then it may be a port issue, if it does then it's likely a software configuration issue. In which case make sure you have the correct updated video drivers for your video card and try and set the modes either via WinKey P or via the nvidia panel.

This is just a situation of playing around with the setup until you find out what was done wrong.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly I bet you just need to enable multimonitor. To do this, simply right click on your desktop, go to NVidia Control Panel (assuming you've installed NVidia drivers like a good computer-user) :P and then in the NVidia control panel, on the left where you have "select a task" option area, go down to "Display" make sure it's opened up so you can see everything under it, click on "set up multiple displays" and then make sure you check both monitors. You can tinker around with the setup if you like, and then just save it. If this doesn't do it, then there is a bigger issue at hand, possibly what The GameMaster was alluding to.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by The GameMaster View Post
    Well... a Geforce 560 is typically two DVI-D ports, but some models can vary and have HDMI/Displayport or whatver. What connection are you using on both of these monitors? It frankly shouldn't matter though as long as the cables are good as well as the ports on those monitors AND video card. You additionally NEED to enable multimonitor output on your operating system as well (Windows Key P is a quick way to set a multimonitor mode), but you should be able to set this via your nVidia control panel as well. A test I would do is plug each monitor in individually in the known good port on the video card and see if it works. If it does see if it does on the OTHER monitor connection on the video card. If it doesn't then it may be a port issue, if it does then it's likely a software configuration issue. In which case make sure you have the correct updated video drivers for your video card and try and set the modes either via WinKey P or via the nvidia panel.

This is just a situation of playing around with the setup until you find out what was done wrong.
    Sorry, i will have to correct myself, i'm using the 650 GTX*

I tried switching them around, and even though i use the same VGA adapter, it choose to work on every monitor, tried going into the nVidia panel and actually ticking both the "use: X-monitor" and also "use: Y-monitor".

atm. iøm downloading the GeForce 310.90 Driver and i currently have the 310.70 Driver installed.

Connection wise on the monitors? They are both going fra VGA-> Adapter-> Graphic card with this as adapter: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...DVI_to_VGA.jpg

One of the adapters tho, got are FULL with the golden thingies that enter the graphic card, but it still works if i choose to insert that into the graphic card port that works.

Tried messing with the Windows 7 options aswel, but doesn't work.
    I hope this helps mate, if you would be kind to keep on going (:

---------- Post added 2013-01-26 at 12:22 AM ----------

I have checked the NVIDIA control panel, and the only thing that comes to my mind is the following:
    One of my monitors are running as "VGA- PC-MONITOR", and the other one as "DVI- PC-MONITOR". The DVI one having the adapter with a FULL golden thingies as mentioned before, and this monitor are also the older one of them, if it helps!

10+ Year Old Account
    So a card something like this?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130827

The DVI to VGA adapters shouldn't make a lick of difference. One of my monitors is running from DVI to HDMI while the other, newer one, has a VGA adapter.
    "A flower.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    So a card something like this?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130827

The DVI to VGA adapters shouldn't make a lick of difference. One of my monitors is running from DVI to HDMI while the other, newer one, has a VGA adapter.
    I think so yea, i attached some DxDiag info.

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650
    Manufacturer: NVIDIA
    Chip type: GeForce GTX 650
    DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
    Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0FC6&SUBSYS_00000000&REV_A1
    Display Memory: 2721 MB
    Dedicated Memory: 973 MB
    Shared Memory: 1748 MB
    Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (60Hz)
    Monitor Name: Standard PnP-monitor
    Monitor Model: S24B300
    Monitor Id: SAM08B1
    Native Mode: 1920 x 1080(p) (60.000Hz)
    Output Type: HD15

10+ Year Old Account
    So nothing shows up on the second screen when you have them both ticked and plugged in?
    "A flower.

You should really try posting this over on evga.com. Lots of very knowledgeable people over there.

Both monitors must be hooked to the same gpu. Right click desktop>Nvidia control panel>set up multiple display try some setting there.

Also be sure that under "manage 3d setting" multi-display/mixed-gpu acceleration is set correctly.
    Last edited by tekk88; 2013-01-25 at 11:38 PM.

Hello guys!

nice weekends to ya all
    If you're in windows 7(probably works in 8 too)

hit Windows Key + P: should bring up a list, hit "Extend" and you should be set. you'll likely need to go into resolution settings and tell the computer what side your other monitor is on.

Additionally, if your monitor has multiple inputs, check-see that the monitor is scanning the correct input (so if you're plugged into HDMI, set it's channel to HDMI) usually with the "Source" button.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tekk88 View Post
    You should really try posting this over on evga.com. Lots of very knowledgeable people over there.

Both monitors must be hooked to the same gpu. Right click desktop>Nvidia control panel>set up multiple display try some setting there.

Also be sure that under "manage 3d setting" multi-display/mixed-gpu acceleration is set correctly.
    I hope you're not saying there aren't a lot of knowledgeable people here, while sure, not too many have posted in here atm, that doesn't mean they couldn't just be out/busy atm.

But thanks for copying exactly what I said a few posts above. He's already done what you suggested, because it was already mentioned. Try to read the whole thread next time.
    "A flower.

So nothing shows up on the second screen when you have them both ticked and plugged in?
    Nothing at all mate

10+ Year Old Account
    Nothing at all mate
    I suggest looking at Blackblade's post and making sure that the monitor is indeed set on the correct input, because that could be the issue, by the sounds of this.
    "A flower.

Quote Originally Posted by blackblade View Post
    Additionally, if your monitor has multiple inputs, check-see that the monitor is scanning the correct input (so if you're plugged into HDMI, set it's channel to HDMI) usually with the "Source" button.
    Hello Blackblade!

Can you elab. on this a tiny bit, i'm sorry that English isn't my mothertongue, but oh well. My older monitor only got the standard VGA input, but my seccond monitor got a "DVI-IN" input.

I only think i got 2x adapters, one for each monitor, but i'm still unsure whether or not i'm actually looking at the correct place.

---------- Post added 2013-01-26 at 12:56 AM ----------

I suggest looking at Blackblade's post and making sure that the monitor is indeed set on the correct input, because that could be the issue, by the sounds of this.
    Sure mate, cheers!

10+ Year Old Account
    What he's referring to is in the monitor's actual own menu, there should be some buttons somewhere on it, it should allow you to cycle through any inputs on the display.

Is this newer monitor that you're having trouble with a multiple input display or just one?
    "A flower.

What he's referring to is in the monitor's actual own menu, there should be some buttons somewhere on it, it should allow you to cycle through any inputs on the display.

Is this newer monitor that you're having trouble with a multiple input display or just one?
    It's just one of the monitors that doesnt work. I can easily change the B input to the working gate, but than the one that was previous in the working gate, wont work in the other gate.

But what i find extremely weird, is the fact taht the monitor actually pops up, so i can change resolution, colors, etc. on whichever monitor doesn't work.

Hey, first time poster, but was having the exact same issues. I just played around with the settings in the nvidia control panel and on the settings to the left I went to "Change Resolution" and changed the refresh rate on my 2nd monitor and it instantly showed up. Not sure if that is the same problem you may be having, but thought I would throw it out there I just got mine to work doing that. Good luck and hope it helped!

Quote Originally Posted by Drelskull View Post
    Hey, first time poster, but was having the exact same issues. I just played around with the settings in the nvidia control panel and on the settings to the left I went to "Change Resolution" and changed the refresh rate on my 2nd monitor and it instantly showed up. Not sure if that is the same problem you may be having, but thought I would throw it out there I just got mine to work doing that. Good luck and hope it helped!

Thanks, it's lovely with some input, i will go work around with some settings again now

have a nice weekend buddy

Hey you too! And enjoy that 2nd monitor lol.

It's your adapters. The picture you linked is a DVI-A adapter which is only an analog signal. The other one is most likely a DVI-I or DVI-D dual or single link. What does that mean to you? Nothing really because it's not your problem.

DVI is a digital signal, obviously VGA is not. When most graphics cards have only two DVI ports and no VGA ports one DVI port can convert digital to analog while the other one is just straight digital to digital. Your adapters are most likely both passive adapters meaning that they do not convert the signal, but rely on the graphics card to do that. What you need is at least one active adapter which will convert the digital signal to analog.

This is why you can get one monitor to work and not the other. The port you're plugging the second one into is most likely the digital to digital port.

*Edit: Or you can use one DVI cable and one DVI to VGA adapter (that's what I do). You just need to have the DVI monitor plugged in to the digital to digital port and the adapter in the port that will convert.
    Last edited by Seevaur; 2013-01-26 at 12:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Seevaur View Post
    It's your adapters. The picture you linked is a DVI-A adapter which is only an analog signal. The other one is most likely a DVI-I or DVI-D dual or single link. What does that mean to you? Nothing really because it's not your problem.

DVI is a digital signal, obviously VGA is not. When most graphics cards have only two DVI ports and no VGA ports one DVI port can convert digital to analog while the other one is just straight digital to digital. Your adapters are most likely both passive adapters meaning that they do not convert the signal, but rely on the graphics card to do that. What you need is at least one active adapter which will convert the digital signal to analog.

This is why you can get one monitor to work and not the other. The port you're plugging the second one into is most likely the digital to digital port.

These are the adapters i got:
    http://dmmsupport.com/modules/KB/Ima...VI_adapter.jpg

http://www.right-products.com/E-Sale..._Adapter_1.jpg

Does that confirm any of your statesment mate, and if yes, what would i need to do, to fix it?