MoP Ret, is something missing?

So after playing this on beta I just feel like something is off but im not sure as to what, it could be the glyphs in my opinion but the way i see it set up at the moment i like it. We have various Holy Power generation, a buffed Inquisition, haste becomes useful again and well a nice focus on Templars Verdict. I see the talents i love the playstyle choices i get to make from said talents and it just all boils down to the glyphs.

I dont know if i am wrong on this but it just feels a tad off somewhere but i just do not know what. But ill start this conversation at our glyphs and see what you guys think. Is there anything wrong with our glyphs and as PvE ret what glyphs will you be using and why?

You're probably just not used to having glyphs that aren't mandatory for you--though in fairness ret was pretty lax in their major glyph requirements compared to, say, holy.

The transparently useful Divine Protection glyph is baseline, the Lay on Hands glyph is gone because a talent does that for you better. Holy wrath glyph is irrelevant, HoJ glyph is part of a talent, the list goes on...

Overall, the game's trying to give you more choices to tinker with, though I'm not rightly sure how many glyphs are appealing to ret in particular--at least, off the top of my head...

I have no access to the BETA or PTR but even now I love the Paladin class immensely and have a Paladin that is my main toon in the game, I some how find the "play style" as a whole missing something. I find that Paladins have a high ramp up time with Holy Power which tends to be very slow. It is probably one of the easier Melee classes in the game behind Combat Rogues. I mean you don't really get that adrenaline rush of "OMGGGGGG", what next? what next? as you would on a Warrior or Frost DK with all their procs, etc. You have 2 procs and a couple of our abilities ain't even mentioning - Holy Wrath anyone? We have a few fillers and a just 2/3 main attacks mostly. Even exorcism is pretty weak unless it crits.

Most of our damage is simply Holy damage and it accounts for most of our damage. It is usually the 2nd/3rd on my total damage, 1st being Templar's Verdict. I really feel Paladins need something "more".

Quote Originally Posted by wynterlyn View Post
    I have no access to the BETA or PTR but even now I love the Paladin class immensely and have a Paladin that is my main toon in the game, I some how find the "play style" as a whole missing something. I find that Paladins have a high ramp up time with Holy Power which tends to be very slow. It is probably one of the easier Melee classes in the game behind Combat Rogues. I mean you don't really get that adrenaline rush of "OMGGGGGG", what next? what next? as you would on a Warrior or Frost DK with all their procs, etc. You have 2 procs and a couple of our abilities ain't even mentioning - Holy Wrath anyone? We have a few fillers and a just 2/3 main attacks mostly. Even exorcism is pretty weak unless it crits.

Most of our damage is simply Holy damage and it accounts for most of our damage. It is usually the 2nd/3rd on my total damage, 1st being Templar's Verdict. I really feel Paladins need something "more".
    I kind of like the simplicity, really. The whole "hit slow and hard thing" I like a lot more than relying on hitting the next button ASAP to deal good damage like frost dk.
    Regen#1804 need NA overwatch friends.

10+ Year Old Account
    Born: Syracuse, NY; Currently live: Raleigh, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Regen View Post
    I kind of like the simplicity, really. The whole "hit slow and hard thing" I like a lot more than relying on hitting the next button ASAP to deal good damage like frost dk.
    Well more specs are going the way of Frost DK than they are current Ret. Right now everything but TV and DS generates a HoPo, so the more buttons you mash in the correct sequence the bigger your number will be.

That being said, currently I'm glyphing Inquisition which may be a DPS loss on shorter fights, Divine Storm, and Avenging Wrath. Glyph of Exorcism is a possibility, but that splash damage can be annoying on CC fights or fights where x add can't die before y main target.

Reasons:
    Inquisition - I'm simply terrible at maintaining any buff that is less than or equal to 30 seconds. This is a QoL improvement, but if it's a DPS loss I'll work on getting better at maintaining Inq.

Avenging Wrath - AW with a heal built in? Yes plz.

Divine Storm - Same functionality as the Wrath version of DS with this glyph. DS heals you for 5% of max health.

I am tempted to switch AW for the TV glyph and Inq for the Exorcism glyph however.

Glyph of Templar's Verdict - 10% less damage taken for 6sec after using TV.

Glyph of Immediate Truth is an interesting bugger as well. Truth does 30% more dmg up front, but Censure's damage is 50% less.

A TV + DS Glyph setup would make Ret Pallies basically the easiest melee DPS to heal. A constant 10% damage reduction on single targets, and a self heal built into your AoE rotation.
    Last edited by Rizendragon; 2012-08-09 at 02:58 AM.

Glyph of avenging wrath gives a 10% heal. Do you really think that is any good, or in anyway worth while? Is 10% extra healing every 3 minutes (90 seconds with 4 piece) going to save healers mana, or stop your raid wiping? I mean really...its awful.

Glyph of divine storm might be ok, but 5% heal again is really weak, sure its better than AW glyph but now that DS requires holy power you wont be spamming it very much, at least as far as the rotation goes now you rarely use holy power finishes until all generators are on cooldown, so DS will probably be on the same cooldown as in wrath, and it healed for a lot more than 5% back then.

Surely there are better glyphs? And if there isn't, doesn't that indicate that something is wrong? That we have no useful glyphs for pve?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Palatinus View Post
    Glyph of avenging wrath gives a 10% heal. Do you really think that is any good, or in anyway worth while? Is 10% extra healing every 3 minutes (90 seconds with 4 piece) going to save healers mana, or stop your raid wiping? I mean really...its awful.

Glyph of divine storm might be ok, but 5% heal again is really weak, sure its better than AW glyph but now that DS requires holy power you wont be spamming it very much, at least as far as the rotation goes now you rarely use holy power finishes until all generators are on cooldown, so DS will probably be on the same cooldown as in wrath, and it healed for a lot more than 5% back then.

Surely there are better glyphs? And if there isn't, doesn't that indicate that something is wrong? That we have no useful glyphs for pve?
    They're trying to make it so that there aren't "correct glyphs" to use. Of course they're also taking the easy way out by making most of the glyphs just complete shit because, after all, they don't have to balance anything if they're all useless.
    Look! Words!

10+ Year Old Account
    Born: Syracuse, NY; Currently live: Raleigh, NC
    This is how all the glyphs are now. There aren't any for the most part that are direct DPS increases. There are glyphs that either add something to or make you make a choice (see instant truth and Inq). Look for your self:

http://mop.wowhead.com/skill=773#crafted-items

just search "paladin" in the bar below the tabs

---------- Post added 2012-08-09 at 03:15 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by foxHeart View Post
    They're trying to make it so that there aren't "correct glyphs" to use. Of course they're also taking the easy way out by making most of the glyphs just complete shit because, after all, they don't have to balance anything if they're all useless.
    Actually that TV glyph in PvP will be fairly nice. A flat 10% damage reduction that's constantly up will be noticeable imo...