What do you do when your realm kicks the bucket?

The realm I had five 85s on at the end of Cata kicked the bucket back then, but I held on hoping MOP would revive it. It had always been a low population experience, but it is now totally dead. Of the 5 85s I only leveled two of them to 90, and one of them I recently paid to transfer to a new realm. I had about 400,000 in gold at the start of MOP and now I only have 200k because the toons I leveled are all outflow now. The only way to make gold on the realm is to vendor items off or the gold you get from questing and stuff like that. There is absolutely no AH market on my old realm.

About the only thing that will sell in the Auction House is MOP Herbs and Ore and this is only if you log in four to five times a day constantly undercutting at the end of the week there might be enough volume to allow you to sell two stacks and that is about it. Indeed I have vendored off tons of MOP herbs and ore because my bags and bank was full and there was simply no other way to get rid of them on the realm. Not to mention it is impossible to find anyone on the realm to do things with anymore. So my quandary is that I don’t want to write off those 4 high level toons on that realm I spent years playing on, but I don’t think it is right for me to have to cough up another $100 just to move them to a playable realm. I feel that it is Blizzard’s responsibility to provide the gaming environment not me.
    Last edited by BillyG; 2013-03-23 at 06:22 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    I feel ya man I have been on the same shithole of a server for 7 years now and you can honestly do a /who 90 and only get a list of about 20. I have 3 other 90's on this server and would love to see a free transfer as I already have spent money on 3 transfers and 2 faction changes. Aegwynn is my server and it's dead they need to just shut it off already.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Blizz is unlikely to fix an issue which make them money for xfers. But subject to diminishing results in the long run.

But you have my sympathy.
    Operation Red Wing

Thanks for the replies. Yeah, I know Blizz is reluctant to do anything because realm transfers/factional transfers are a big cash cow for them, but like you said it is a downward spiral because people just leave the game rather than cough up hundreds of dollars for realm transfers.

Hey vindicatorx I live in Southern Indiana further south than you though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pretty sure it aint about the money because they dont do it, they receive plenty..

It's showing Decline in subs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?

10+ Year Old Account
    Transfer one character to a realm with my friends on, and just stick with that character.

Or quit.

The only thing you're not getting on your dead server is current raiding and I expect that barrier to be kept in place to get as much money from transfers as possible.
    37 + (3*7) + (3*7)
    W/L/T/Death count: Wolf: 0/1/0/1 | Mafia: 1/6/0/7 | TPR: 0/4/1/5
    SK: 0/1/0/1 | VT: 2/5/2/7 | Cult: 1/0/0/1

Just transfer to another server. If you can't afford that, find a new server that fits your needs/desires, and level up some new characters there! After-all, achievements, mounts, and titles are account wide!
    Sylvanas Windrunner is not hot... Change my mind.

That is what I have been doing. I have been leveling up several new characters on a new realm that is playable, but I am not even half way to having what I had on the old realm. (Across all my toons I had all professions maxed with the exception of blacksmithing. ) I feel like I have been spending all of MOP trying to get back what I had yet I don’t think I am even half way there yet. I have yet to do any raiding or arena this expansion, and I guess I am starting to feel a little peeved about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerschlag View Post
    Just transfer to another server. If you can't afford that, find a new server that fits your needs/desires, and level up some new characters there! After-all, achievements, mounts, and titles are account wide!

Quote Originally Posted by BillyG View Post
    The realm I had five 85s on at the end of Cata kicked the bucket back then, but I held on hoping MOP would revive it. It had always been a low population experience, but it is now totally dead. Of the 5 85s I only leveled two of them to 90, and one of them I recently paid to transfer to a new realm. I had about 400,000 in gold at the start of MOP and now I only have 200k because the toons I leveled are all outflow now. The only way to make gold on the realm is to vendor items off or the gold you get from questing and stuff like that. There is absolutely no AH market on my old realm.

About the only thing that will sell in the Auction House is MOP Herbs and Ore and this is only if you log in four to five times a day constantly undercutting at the end of the week there might be enough volume to allow you to sell two stacks and that is about it. Indeed I have vendored off tons of MOP herbs and ore because my bags and bank was full and there was simply no other way to get rid of them on the realm. Not to mention it is impossible to find anyone on the realm to do things with anymore. So my quandary is that I don’t want to write off those 4 high level toons on that realm I spent years playing on, but I don’t think it is right for me to have to cough up another $100 just to move them to a playable realm. I feel that it is Blizzard’s responsibility to provide the gaming environment not me.
    Did the smart thing and voted with my wallet. I quit playing back in January last year because of final year university exams and a game which just didn't offer the multiplayer experience it should due to a neglected realm.

If at some stage they do something to actually address dead realms I may return, but I am not paying for any of my 9 characters to move server.