Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

Men's long hair care

I've been trying to grow out my hair for a while now and although progress is slow I'm getting there.

However, there are a few things that irk me.

I've noticed that men ( generally ) tend to have those curls at the ends of their hair, it's as if the hair buckles right at the end. I'm not sure whether this is intended or we're just bad at spotting split ends, which is why it ends up looking like that. Women normally have much smoother/straighter hair than we do based on my observations ( or they just straighten it in an overwhelming majority and I'm shit at spotting it ). I'm talking about things like this:

I took some actors with long hair so you can get a better idea what I'm talking about.

http://gyazo.com/852405b42d03efbf738b015ae72f99ed

http://gyazo.com/427fad3047a888904802eb4dc605ba46

http://gyazo.com/2cd898f9f28b52b896ef0e42dacefb5a

Is this how it's supposed to be? Because it annoys me somewhat. Does it get better when it grows longer? It just looks like it's tangled/glued together to me.

I've also noticed that for about a day after I wash my hair, it gets somewhat rigid/knotty. My take on it is that I should probably change the shampoo, which prooobably dries out my hair too much. After about a day it becomes way smoother, which I presume is my hair oils managing to reach out. I've tried a bunch of shampoos so far and even went for the conditioner/conditioner combination and it's of no use.

Also worth mentioning that whether I use conditioner or not the result is usually the same, feels like hay for a day and gets better the day after.

15+ Year Old Account
    You really don't want long and completely straight hair as a man..

My hair does that same flip, but honestly I have wavy/curly hair to begin with.

Although my friend's hair usually grows straight until it starts getting long, then his flips to one direction.

That being said though, I do know several guys who hair just grows straight, it's probably just a hereditary thing.

For reference, I know I've posted my picture before but I don't want to again, my hair is closest to the 2nd picture you posted, but picture more curls.

Quote Originally Posted by Revi View Post
    I'm not talking straight hair as in this

http://www.hairandmakeupideas.com/wp...ght-hair-2.jpg

of course, but I'd rather it looks less like those 3 actors and more like this

http://cdn03.cdn.justjared.com/wp-co...s-for-2015.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    That being said though, I do know several guys who hair just grows straight, it's probably just a hereditary thing.
    Well at least I know that I'm not doing anything wrong.

7+ Year Old Account
    just came here to say if its properly done long ahir can be ok on men

Quote Originally Posted by pateuvasiliu View Post
    Well at least I know that I'm not doing anything wrong.
    It's okay though, you'll just have to deal with all the threats from women with straight hair about how they "Wish they didn't have to curl their hair to have your hair"

7+ Year Old Account
    how often do you wash your hair with shampoo?

If you grow it out long enough it will just look wavy. All my friends had hair like this in highschool lol. hair down to the ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    It's okay though, you'll just have to deal with all the threats from women with straight hair about how they "Wish they didn't have to curl their hair to have your hair"
    Yeah, I quite like how my hair looks from behind. But I don't like that thing the actors ( and I ) have. It reminds me of a shell for some reason.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by The Baptist View Post
    how often do you wash your hair with shampoo?
    Once in 2-3 days.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, another thing. Various sources have told me different things about shampoo.

Some say male and female shampoo is the same crap with different smells. My mother, that's a textile engineer, says the composition of male and female hair is the same( though I know for a fact that the oil production is different. There's also the fact that estrogen makes hair smoother and testosterone makes it thicker and stronger ) so while my mother may be right about the chemical composition of the hair itself I'm pretty certain the end result is different - which is probably why so many men have wavy hair rather than smooth.

So is there any difference between male and female shampoo?

When my hair was long it curled at the ends too or it formed natural ringlets in my hair.

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

Quote Originally Posted by Mapathy View Post
    When my hair was long it curled at the ends too or it formed natural ringlets in my hair.
    So either we're normal or we took bad care of our hair. Which one is it?

I mean if you want STRAIGHT hair they make straightening irons for that. Most women you see with really straight hair do that.

Quote Originally Posted by D3thray View Post
    I mean if you want STRAIGHT hair they make straightening irons for that. Most women you see with really straight hair do that.
    I don't want STRAIGHT hair, I want STRAIGHTER hair.

I hate the clearly straightened straight hair that you could probably use as a ruler, it just looks artificial and wig-ish to me. I prefer natural in most things.

Quote Originally Posted by Revi View Post
    This. I had long hair for years, and trust me, you want to keep it a little less neat, in order to avoid looking feminine.

Quote Originally Posted by Itisamuh View Post
    This. I had long hair for years, and trust me, you want to keep it a little less neat, in order to avoid looking feminine.
    That would be rather difficult in my case, looking feminine.

- - - Updated - - -

Onto drying after shower, what's the best way to avoid tangles?

I've read that some suggest a cotton t-shirt over a towel because apparently it absorbs water better.

I've also read that a lot of people prefer letting it dry from the air than blow trying.

So either we're normal or we took bad care of our hair. Which one is it?
    Its normal, mine would do it after i dried it or brushed it.

Man the knots can be a pain too.

Quote Originally Posted by Mapathy View Post
    Its normal, mine would do it after i dried it or brushed it.

Man the knots can be a pain too.
    The issue is I have a hard time telling knots from those ring things.

My hair doesn't really like hair brushes/combs after it dries out, so it's hard to tell whether I'm doing something wrong or my hair and the comb are just not meant to be.

The issue is I have a hard time telling knots from those ring things.

My hair doesn't really like hair brushes/combs after it dries out, so it's hard to tell whether I'm doing something wrong or my hair and the comb are just not meant to be.
    My ringlets used to form at my temples and quite a bit at the back.

The best thing i found was to brush it with a paddle brush, multiple times a day to stop knots.

Deleted
    Well, the whole slightly curly thing that actors and famous dudes do is just a style thing, they probably curl that in on purpose.

The average dude with long hair just looks hideous though. Long hair is a lot of effort, yo. I mean, there is a reason why people use "Can't, sorry, I'm washing my hair" as an excuse for not going out for an entire night. There are some guys who take really good care of their hair and that's cool. The vast majority do not. Speaking in very broad generalisations here because there are plenty of guys who are the opposite here, but many, many, many dudes with long hair don't take care of it properly.

Keep it clean is like, number one. Wash that shit. Seriously guys. Take a shower. And if you're buying crappy shampoo and crappy conditioner, you may as well not bother. Buy good stuff and rotate your shampoo & conditioner brand regularly. There are also tons of really good oils and stuff that can help it a lot. And doing a hair mask pretty regularly isn't a bad idea either.

Get it cut. More often than you are doing. Ends get damged and nasty. The more you go get them cut, the healthier it will be in general. Guys can generally get away with going to get a haircut much less often that girls, but if you have long hair, nope. Don't have to get much cut off, you are trying to keep it long after all, but you do have to keep it in check. And for fucks sake, do not go to your shitty barber down the street. If you have a friend who is a hairdresser, good for you, and like, they have to be good. Otherwise, go to a proper salon. If you're paying less than £50 for a cut&wash, your hairdresser sucks and you have to go find a new one. I'm sure there are exceptions to this rule, but your specific exception relating to your specific hairdresser who has done you for years and always done a good job doesn't count. Go elsewhere.

And finally, actually do something with it. When you get up in the morning, don't just be like "oh, it's hair, blam, done". Shape that shit. Even if you're just blowdrying it into shape or running straighteners or curlers through it, whatever. Your newly found really expensive hairdresser will help you with this! Because they know what the fuck they are doing! Find someone who does it in a way you like. Show them pictures of what you want when you go in, and keep finding new ones until you find someone who when you come out of the hairdresser you feel like you could ask anyone on the planet out on a date and they would say yes just so they can eat dinner with your luxurious flowing locks. Then make sure you write their name down and next time you book, ask for them. Ask them to explain what they are doing to your hair at the end, ask what products they are using on it, and go do what they do. This is really kind of hard in a lot of cases yo. These people generally have a natural talent for what they do, and you don't because like the rest of us, you're a fucking loser. It's going to take some practice, so keep trying until you get it right. If you are straightening it, curling it, or even just blow drying it on hot, make sure you use heat protection spray.

Finally, remember that you are a man, and therefore your hair sucks. Sorry, it's just a fact. There are guys out there with lovely hair but you have way too much testosterone and not enough estrogen and that makes your hair all like a wire brush and it's gross. If you want nice hair you'll have to work really hard for it, or keep it short. You may even have to work harder than some women *gasp* #PatriarchyWho? Remember, you can always self medicate for bigger boobs, softer skin, and nicer hair!

Men have better hair than women. Too many ruin theirs with excessive straightening/curling, fixatives, dyes and other crap.

erin is the reason i need #menimism