Thread: Gear stats

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Vengfulr3ap3r View Post
    Alrighty, well I have a question.

So we've all figured out that gear does plateau at 80 But does gear really matter? I mean will it make or break your character if you do not have the best for your level? Or is it just kinda a bonus to make things some what easier?
    Well, let's look at some numbers (all info here is drawn from the gw2guru thread linked in the first post). We get base 916 points per attribute and up to 300 additional from trait lines. Rare gear, which should be rather easy to get, has overall attribute distribution of roundly 695/495/495. So the max attainable score in a single attribute is 1911, of which only 37% of the points comes from the gear. The exotic gear has 13% higher stats, thus 798/ 569/569. So with exotic gear, we get 2014 max points, which is around 5% higher than in rare gear. Is this a game-breaking difference? Hardly. Of course, 1k extra HP or 5% extra damage is nothing to sneeze at, but somehow I think that a single mistake in a difficult PVE encounter might cost you more then the 5% extra benefit. A good player with rare gear will perform better than a careless player in exotic gear. Which can't be said, for example, for games like WoW, where the difference between gear tiers are much more dramatic and base attributes play no role at all.

---------- Post added 2012-08-10 at 04:51 AM ----------

That's what I figured. Does anyone know how that works exactly? Like according to the link in the OP it say's that the highest "tier" of gear available for say.. a lvl 8 area is "fine" aka blue. So your gear would scale down to the max tier of gear available in that "level zone" so to speak. Even if you had exotic gear, right? So if i stroll into a lvl 8 zone at lvl 80 since the highest tier is blue's. My gear would be scaled down to be blues. Correct? Because that just seem's.... logical.
    If I understand it correctly, each item has a particular point allocation on a particular level. I guess they simply change it to the stats of the item of an appropriate level with the same quality. That is, your rare +90/64/64 axe will become +2 axe when scaled down to level 3 because thats the stat allocation of the best axe available at level 3. In return, the +2 level 3 axe will become +90 axe when scaled to level 80 (WvW). Please note that this is just a wild guess on my side, it may work in an entirely different way.

Quote Originally Posted by mafao View Post
    Well, let's look at some numbers (all info here is drawn from the gw2guru thread linked in the first post). We get base 916 points per attribute and up to 300 additional from trait lines. Rare gear, which should be rather easy to get, has overall attribute distribution of roundly 695/495/495. So the max attainable score in a single attribute is 1911, of which only 37% of the points comes from the gear. The exotic gear has 13% higher stats, thus 798/ 569/569. So with exotic gear, we get 2014 max points, which is around 5% higher than in rare gear. Is this a game-breaking difference? Hardly. Of course, 1k extra HP or 5% extra damage is nothing to sneeze at, but somehow I think that a single mistake in a difficult PVE encounter might cost you more then the 5% extra benefit. A good player with rare gear will perform better than a careless player in exotic gear. Which can't be said, for example, for games like WoW, where the difference between gear tiers are much more dramatic and base attributes play no role at all.
    Ohhhh yeah, Trust me. I know all about the gear tiers in wow. -_- It's one thing i'm very happy to get away from. I just wanted to make sure that I wouldn't be "broken" and "rejected" and all that just because I didn't grind away to get the "best" gear. So thanks. =]

If I understand it correctly, each item has a particular point allocation on a particular level. I guess they simply change it to the stats of the item of an appropriate level with the same quality. That is, your rare +90/64/64 axe will become +2 axe when scaled down to level 3 because thats the stat allocation of the best axe available at level 3. In return, the +2 level 3 axe will become +90 axe when scaled to level 80 (WvW). Please note that this is just a wild guess on my side, it may work in an entirely different way.
    That's what I was thinking as well. It would be the only way to keep things relevant to everyone DE wise and what not is to scale them up and down. I guess we won't really know until someone gets to lvl 80 and experiments. I honestly hope it's that way at least.

Ohhhh yeah, Trust me. I know all about the gear tiers in wow. -_- It's one thing i'm very happy to get away from. I just wanted to make sure that I wouldn't be "broken" and "rejected" and all that just because I didn't grind away to get the "best" gear. So thanks. =]
    You still might. People are stupid.

You still might. People are stupid.
    Mm, I have little faith in humanity so I must agree. Honestly though, I hope not. I hope all those people go play MoP. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Grable View Post
    I was under the impression that there will be no geargrind/stat increasing through gear as in most generic MMOs, but I have doubts after reading this:

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/...d-you-updated/

It seems that PvE will still have gear grind and different tiers / gear progression, or did I get the post wrong?

pic related, same level weapon of different quality

Umm A)they never said that stats on blues, greens,purples, reds, golds, etc would all be the same, just that equal "quality" equal level gear of the same prefix/suffix would have the same stats. Since you can craft, PvP, karma vendor, or Dungeon to get "top quality" gear at 80 means that you can easily get the best gear rather then having to grind xxx to get top quality gear.
    B) Those images you have there is neither the same "quality" nor the same suffix, so not a good example, an image that would be a good example is lets say top quality dungeon token loot compaired to say the same loot threashhold (or legendaries since legendaries just have cool animations but stat wise are the same as top quality)
    with the same suffix.

C) Ignoring the "gem" since those can be changed and so the default one in the gear is irrelevant lets look that the stat difference between a 80 yellow and 80 gold and compare it to lets say a similar stated blue in a fairly commonly known MMO and a purple of the same level. yellow 384, gold 435, difference 51 or 13% higher from yellow to gold or 11% less from gold to yellow. Level 80 blue from unnamed MMO 125 stats, 80 purple intro level 131 5% increase or 6% decrease, 80 purple a few months into game 283 stats or 127% increase / 56% decrease. So at the very start yes unnamed MMOs stat difference between "rare" and "epic" are slightly less then the difference then GW2 BUT much much greater a few months into the game, on top of that to get said "epics" in the unnamed MMO you HAD to raid, GW2 you don't even have to dungeon you can just save up the karma.

Yes there will be some grind to get a certine suffix/prefix for your build like say "of Dreams" or "of Wrath" (since those are obvious suffixes), but overall your not forced to do certain types of gameplay you may not like to get fully geared in Exotic/Legendary/Mystic gear, if you don't like to dungeon you don't have to, you don't like to PvP you don't have to, you don't like to craft you dont have to... some ways make be quicker to get what you want then other ways, but your not forced into one way.

I did some testing right now and can now confirm that the gear is getting upscaled in WvWvW. My +10 1H weapon was contributing +104 points. This is nice, because it means that the gap between the 'real' level 80 and upscaled level is not *that* big - the real level 80 characters will have more points from traits and rarer weapons. We are probably talking around 25-30% max stat difference between an upscaled level 2 character and a exotic geared level 80. Seems fair.

I did some testing right now and can now confirm that the gear is getting upscaled in WvWvW. My +10 1H weapon was contributing +104 points. This is nice, because it means that the gap between the 'real' level 80 and upscaled level is not *that* big - the real level 80 characters will have more points from traits and rarer weapons. We are probably talking around 25-30% max stat difference between an upscaled level 2 character and a exotic geared level 80. Seems fair.
    Ohhh alrighty. Thank's for testing that and updating it. I didn't do much but stand around and talk in /m for the stress test because of rubberbanding. It's very nice to know you'll get upscaled and won't get steam rolled.