Kickstarter Spotlight: Steam Bandits: Outpost

http://kotaku.com/5932692/they-were-...he-way-we-play
    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...dits-outpost-0

Also valid:

Quote Originally Posted by Kotaku
    Now they've got big plans. They're simultaneously developing three games. One is a SimCity or Civilization-like town builder called Steam Bandits: Outpost. The second is sort of an action-RPG inspired by games like Privateer and League of Legends. The third is a flight simulator not unlike Crimson Skies.

Here's the catch: all three of these games will take place in the same persistent universe. You'll be able to interact with people who are playing the other two games. And you'll be able to team up to make your characters better.

"If my girlfriend loves town-building games, she can play Steam Bandits: Outpost on her iPad, build up a town and stuff," Fader said. "I'm playing the other game... one island I visit and trade with could be her island. I can link up with her and she's on my friends list. I can visit her island at will. I can link my captain up to her island as my port of call. Any time I go on a quest, she gets a reward as well since she's sponsoring me. And any time she produces stuff, that gives me a little boost."

There will also be quests that span multiple games, Fader says. "Let's say in my captain game I'm on a quest. I pick up a really weird item, a crafting recipe. Now there's no crafting in the captain game; it's RPG and combat focused. I can take this [recipe], hand it off to my girlfriend who's playing the town-building game. She can build it up. I can equip it on my airship... We're taking quests a layer above an individual game and spanning it across an actual game world."

Sounds neat, right? It also sounds ambitious. And like most ambitious game makers nowadays, Fader has started a Kickstarter for his project, asking gamers for $30,000 to help him release the first game of this three-pronged series by November. Right now they've raised around $10,000. They have 11 days to go.
    This transgaming thing they are trying to do sounds really neat, and I hope this game will be made.

Same concept as Dust 514/EVE Online, where everything interacts across both games and platforms.

Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    Same concept as Dust 514/EVE Online, where everything interacts across both games and platforms.
    It's a brilliant concept, with a bunch of potential, and it should get a lot of attention so the video game industry begins to use it more often.