Thread: Drop Sets

15+ Year Old Account

Drop Sets

I have begun applying drop sets to my work out since I read and heard it should have a muscle size increasing effect compared to gaining strength. I don't do it for every body part because it becomes practically hard to move weights around without having wasted too much time (squat example) but that's fine. My first set is drop set where I drop 2 times, and then I make two regular sets with maximum weight, resulting in 1x6-8 (drop set) and 2x6-8 (regular set).

I am making this post to ask if there's other people out there experienced with this type of work out, and what they feel about it? I can definitely feel a more intense burn when I do it, so so far it feels good, but I've only done it for a week now, so I can't really tell much difference yet. ;] What's your take?

In bodybuilding and weight training, using drop sets is a technique for continuing an exercise with a lower weight once muscle failure has been achieved at a higher weight. It is most often performed on weight machines because reducing the weight quickly is thought by some to be extremely important, but it can also be performed with dumbbells and other free weights. - Wikipedia
    Last edited by iLive; 2012-08-09 at 04:57 PM.

Deleted
    Drop sets are a good way to increase your total volume. I personally recommend using drop sets as a finisher and not after your first set as it might limit the maximum weight your able to lift, a proper dropset should leave you exhausted and begging not to do more.

Example: Drop set after first set

Bench 100kg x 6, then dropping that to 60kg x 10 and then to 40kg x 10 (hopefully around failure), if i were to do that i wouldn't ever make 100kg again.

If i were to make the last set a drop set it would have something that looked like that

Bench 100kg 3 sets with around 6 reps, then i could drop the weight to around 60 kg x 10 and 40 kg x 10. My total volume would be much bigger this way.

What i also like to do under drop sets is decrease my range of motion, in bench press for example i wouldn't go to full lockout with my albows. When doing full lockout you often release the tension on the muscle you want to train, which really isn't that good. By decreasing my range of motion i increase the time under tension of my pecs doing bench press which is a good thing when aiming for muscle mass. The same thing for rows where i don't let my hands fully stretch before i pull again.

A last tip though, don't use drop sets in an extended amount of time. Drop sets are great the excite your muscles and really shock them, but they accustom to it quite fast. Do drop sets for like a month, then regular lifting in 2-3 months and then drop sets again.

And don't do drop sets for strength in case your or anybody wondered.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Labze View Post
    Drop sets are a good way to increase your total volume. I personally recommend using drop sets as a finisher and not after your first set as it might limit the maximum weight your able to lift, a proper dropset should leave you exhausted and begging not to do more.

Example: Drop set after first set

Bench 100kg x 6, then dropping that to 60kg x 10 and then to 40kg x 10 (hopefully around failure), if i were to do that i wouldn't ever make 100kg again.

If i were to make the last set a drop set it would have something that looked like that

Bench 100kg 3 sets with around 6 reps, then i could drop the weight to around 60 kg x 10 and 40 kg x 10. My total volume would be much bigger this way.
    That's actually a good idea. I'm not sure why I didn't think of that, because it's true, and it really does shake everything up making it almost impossible to continue. But would it matter you think?

What i also like to do under drop sets is decrease my range of motion, in bench press for example i wouldn't go to full lockout with my albows. When doing full lockout you often release the tension on the muscle you want to train, which really isn't that good. By decreasing my range of motion i increase the time under tension of my pecs doing bench press which is a good thing when aiming for muscle mass. The same thing for rows where i don't let my hands fully stretch before i pull again.
    I didn't know this, gonna see if I can find more information on this.

A last tip though, don't use drop sets in an extended amount of time. Drop sets are great the excite your muscles and really shock them, but they accustom to it quite fast. Do drop sets for like a month, then regular lifting in 2-3 months and then drop sets again.
    Hmm, sounds reasonable like with creatine.

Thanks, awesome post.

Drop sets are very good, but make sure you drop enough and keep the form good. It's very easy to fail at form and activate to much shoulders and exhaust your arms when doing bench press drop sets.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by iLive View Post
    That's actually a good idea. I'm not sure why I didn't think of that, because it's true, and it really does shake everything up making it almost impossible to continue. But would it matter you think?
    Well, the biggest plus of doing the drop set last is the increased weight your able to lift in total volume. It's probrably going to be very hard to push yourself to higher weights in 2nd and 3rd set after you just did a drop set. Usually i set a rep goal, for example 8 reps, when i can lift my weight in the number of sets i do for example 3, then i increase the weight (Example 3 sets with 50kg and 8 reps in all, then i raise to 52,5). Of course the same can be done when starting off with a drop set but the overall volume of your lifts will most likely be lower.

I guess in the end its all preference, i doubt either way will be significantly more beneficial than the other in terms of gaining muscles. However i feel best knowing my total lift volume is higher when doing drop sets last

This is more of a bodybuilding work out and not so much a STRENGTH building style workout, what I mean by this, is Bodybuilders honestly, HAVE NO CARE IN THE WORLD how much the lift, all they can about is contracting the muscle groups in a way to make them build.

500 lbs or 50, they body doesn't care if as long as you are tearing the fibers for them to rebuild, sure, over time as a BB you'll gain strength its needed, but the weight is not an issue, so if you're looking to gain pure strength I suggest a different work out or doing like above, if you're looking for aesthetics, this is an amazing style to use!

Quote Originally Posted by Jekdin View Post
    This is more of a bodybuilding work out and not so much a STRENGTH building style workout, what I mean by this, is Bodybuilders honestly, HAVE NO CARE IN THE WORLD how much the lift, all they can about is contracting the muscle groups in a way to make them build.
    There's a good video of Kai Greene talking about this as well. He says something to that effect.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8wZNGL4iA4

I only do drop sets if I'm feeling short pressed for time. As long as you're using good form with 1-3second negatives focusing on the contraction you'll see muscle growth.