Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Computer randomly shuts off while playing GW2...

So...don't jump down my throat as this stress test is actually the first experience I have with the game.

I can't go for more than 10 minutes or so without my computer shutting off...has anyone else encountered this issue and/or knows a fix? I can play other triple AAA gaming titles without this sort of thing happening.

My PC

Windows & Home Premium 64-bit
    Intel CORE i7 2630QM CPU @ 2.00 GHz (8 CPU)
    8192 MB RAM

GeForce GTX 460M
    4050 MB

I have never fiddled with overclocking.

*To clarify, my computer resets, it doesn't completely shut off to where I need to press the power button again to turn it back on.
    Last edited by Zipzo; 2012-08-10 at 04:28 PM.

Computer shutting off almost always means overheating or PSU not providing enough power.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mofo View Post
    Computer shutting off almost always means overheating or PSU not providing enough power.
    yes. get a cpu temp monitor and see if it throws up any alerts.

Quote Originally Posted by mofo View Post
    Why do I seriously doubt that the problem is my computer...I have played higher taxing games for hours (even other MMORPGs with just as if not better graphic capability), and my computer overheats and explodes on low settings in GW2? My settings are also above the requirements they specify.

Not really adding up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zipzo View Post
    Why do I seriously doubt that the problem is my computer...I have played higher taxing games for hours (even other MMORPGs with just as if not better graphic capability), and my computer overheats and explodes on low settings in GW2? My settings are also above the requirements they specify.

Not really adding up.
    No harm in trying.. you asked, they answered.. may as well give it a go.

Is this a desktop or laptop? Better airflow would help or small fan.

---------- Post added 2012-08-09 at 03:28 PM ----------

Do you get the blue screen of death or just shuts off. If it just shuts off, heat is a problem.

IS it rebelling against you? Does it miss wow?

slap it and say "bad!" ?

Quote Originally Posted by xanderd View Post
    IS it rebelling against you? Does it miss wow?

slap it and say "bad!" ?
    Haha. Great idea :P

It's a laptop but it's setup for cooling. I have a mat thingie and also the vents push out the back so I don't have the same problem as most laptops.

When it it shuts off...screen just goes black. It actually doesn't fully shutdown, it *resets* my computer.

It's an ASUS republic of gaming laptop, you can see a picture and get what I mean.

10+ Year Old Account
    Haha. Great idea :P

It's a laptop but it's setup for cooling. I have a mat thingie and also the vents push out the back so I don't have the same problem as most laptops.

When it it shuts off...screen just goes black. It actually doesn't fully shutdown, it *resets* my computer.

It's an ASUS republic of gaming laptop, you can see a picture and get what I mean.
    Download speedfan and check your temps while running gw2 1-2 mins (if you can w/o it shutting down).

Yep its a heat problem, make sure your not close to a wall, that can restrict air movement. Make sure your only running the game, close other programs in Task Manager.

While I appreciate that everyone is playing a part in diagnosing why my computer shuts off while running GW2, none of you have really graced the crux of the issue...

Why would GW2 be overheating my PC when it exceeds the specifications, and what is the fix?

I had the same problem in beta weekend 2. I thought it was Guild Wars 2 causing it. Someone told me to clean out my system with compressed air and that fixed the issue. The problem was overheating because of dust.

10+ Year Old Account
    While I appreciate that everyone is playing a part in diagnosing why my computer shuts off while running GW2, none of you have really graced the crux of the issue...

Why would GW2 be overheating my PC when it exceeds the specifications, and what is the fix?
    I'm sure no one here can tell you that. You might try contacting support or asking the computer forum.
    Valar morghulis

10+ Year Old Account
    Why do I seriously doubt that the problem is my computer...
    You should never doubt this. Exceeding specifications means very little when they're stress testing and improving the optimization in betas. It could be your specific gfx card, cpu, or drivers (or something), in interacting with GW2, is causing your computer to overheat.

And I don't mean "Hey, yeah, it's GW2's fault" necessarily, but that GW2 is, for once, causing your computer to work hard (for whatever reason), and that your computer does not have good temperature regulation, (for whatever reason). That other games simply have not put stress on your PC, and haven't been able to expose this flaw.

Even if it's something with how your computer interacts with GW2 specifically, and couldn't show up in other games, it still has exposed that your computer can experience heating problems when pushed hard, which is a factor you have direct control over.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-08-09 at 11:47 PM.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

10+ Year Old Account

Wouldn't it be funny if there was a bunch of dust and shit clogging your laptops vents and parts, causing it to overheat?

inb4 "no that's impossible it's an asus rog bro l2computer"

10+ Year Old Account
    That's what we are trying to figure out.

Why even bother asking for anyone's help if you're aren't going to even consider what we're saying. Fine don't accept anyone's help, have fun not playing GW2.

DO you have v-sync on. There are really any number of possible reasons as to WHY GW2 might do it... Even WoW can overheat a computer if everything is turned to Ultra and you don't have v-sync on, and your computer isn't cooling properly.

I will tell you this. Asus RoG laptops, the g series (53,54,55,73,74,75), depending on which version an where it was made, can have some heating issues if they did a bad thermal paste job. The 73 was notorious for this problem, especially as the laptop got older and the paste wore down.

I know, I currently own a G73. I monitor all my temps every couple weeks with a decent game running just to make sure. And I have repasted my computer once when the temps got to high for my liking (90c, not overclocked, under load [furmark], should be a general warning temp for the Gseries). Also, when is the last time you cleaned out the dust from the laptop??

What you describe is very much a symptom of overheating. Either the GPU or the CPU. Reason for overheating can be improper overclocks, improper heatsink installation, bad thermal paste, clogged vents (dust/other debris)...

Gw2 is poorly optimized. It may not appear it, but it can be very taxing.

15+ Year Old Account
    I think it's trying to tell you something.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well if you get a stronger pc it would def solve the problem lol