Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vivien View Post
    @Eidal
    Download program called FurMark
    www_geeks3d.com/20120510/furmark-1-10-1-gpu-burn-in-stress-test-videocard-geforce-radeon/

Turn on Burn-in test and leave it for quite a few minutes and see how hight the temperature goes
    It will give you an answer to the question - should I clean my computer or not yet ;]

PS
    change _ for . as I cant post links yet :P
    Guess I might test that aswell before the stress test is up. I did think about opening the chassi and look for dust, but I got too tired and the chassi didnt want to open lol. Doubted that it had anything to do with that since it runs great all other times. But new try tonight then Thank you!
    Last edited by mmoc1319205971; 2012-08-10 at 12:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pickynerd View Post
    As many have said, turn on v-sync, should lower temps 20-30ºc.
    HELLO input lag! Anything beats turning on v-desync input.

My PC has BSOD'd and restarted itself a number of times during the closed betas. The problem was my graphics card overheating. A quick tinkle in the graphics card menu, turning the GPU fan speed up to 90% (Sounds like a fighter plane taking off) and the problem goes away.amhe

I also have to do this with Tribes Ascend, but no other game has ever been affected.
    Last edited by Leben; 2012-08-10 at 04:09 PM.

I'd also like to add something for the OP.

I read your comments earlier in this thread and I should point out that every game runs different. Some run harder on the CPU, some harder on the GPU. So to say that you play other games that are more graphically intense than GW2 doesn't mean a whole lot. There are too many factors that come into play, on the games side and on your side.

GW2 kicks up the fans harder than when I play a game like BF3 for instance. View distance is a big player in MMO's that you don't normally get with other games btw.

Shutting off or restarting 99% of the time is caused by something overheating. Laptops can get dust in them just as easy as a desktop. Dust caked on the fan or the CPU heatsinks can cause a HUGE amount of heat.

My CPU heatsinks had dust on them and I honestly didn't think it was that bad, after cleaning them off the CPU ran 15 degrees cooler. Even running 1 or 2 degrees over the recommended temps can cause your CPU to stutter and shut down.

Okay.

So Most believe it to be a overheating issue, although there is some speculation based on the fact that it hard resets my laptop as opposed to a full "shutdown". It's my fault for not clarifying that.

I would like to get around to cleaning my laptop but I am just not really educated with the know how. I'm very much afraid of attacking my laptops insides with anything other than compressed air.

I suppose I will try V-sync on. I also downloaded new drivers in hopes that would be the fix.

Sucks I can't test all this out though

Quote Originally Posted by Zipzo View Post
    Okay.

So Most believe it to be a overheating issue, although there is some speculation based on the fact that it hard resets my laptop as opposed to a full "shutdown". It's my fault for not clarifying that.

I would like to get around to cleaning my laptop but I am just not really educated with the know how. I'm very much afraid of attacking my laptops insides with anything other than compressed air.

I suppose I will try V-sync on. I also downloaded new drivers in hopes that would be the fix.

Sucks I can't test all this out though
    You have 2 weeks till early release. Try tonight's stress test and if the problem persists, take it to a retailer or repair shop and ask them see if it needs cleaned, tell them what was happening.

Also tonight if you run the test make sure you have some type of cpu temp running. I use CoreTemp.

GW2 can do this on some graphics cards, even if they aren't excessively hot.

A fix (until they optimise further) is to underclock the graphics card, if that is indeed the problem.

The simple answer, however, is that GW2 can randomly restart your computer, and if it works fine for everything else I would suggest there is a fair chance this is the problem.

[There used to be posts about this on the GW2 tech forum, haven't checked recently.]

Haha. Great idea :P

It's a laptop but it's setup for cooling. I have a mat thingie and also the vents push out the back so I don't have the same problem as most laptops.

When it it shuts off...screen just goes black. It actually doesn't fully shutdown, it *resets* my computer.

It's an ASUS republic of gaming laptop, you can see a picture and get what I mean.
    I have a custom desktop with an ASUS motherboard, and the exact same thing happens. Every half hour to an hour or so while playing GW2, the computer just shuts off and restarts without warning. It did it all throughout the BWE3 and yesterday's stress test.

The same thing happened in SWTOR beta, but the computer was running at 90-100C so I knew it was an overheating issue. I think the VSync fixed that problem. Thing is, GW2 runs at 65-75C. Hasn't reached 80C one time. So I don't think it is THAT type of an overheating issue, maybe something related but different. The computer is acting like it's overheating, but it doesn't seem to be.

I posted on the tech support forum on gw2's site and someone posted and said something like "it's to be expected from ASUS motherboards." It seemed like an odd comment to make, but I noticed 1-2 other people in the thread having the same problem and also having ASUS motherboards.

One solution I might have found - part of the ASUS stuff that came with the computer is a program called TurboV, which is the overclocking program. Like you, I never fiddled with overclocking, but with this program running on startup, it seems it might be doing it itself to "adapt" to the program it's running. I found a forum somewhere (can't find the link now) that suggests TurboV might be the cause. So I've disabled it for tonight's Stress test and we'll see what happens. Also, my IT guy at work says that my fan is much too small, so we're replacing it. I'm also keeping in mind that my power supply might have degraded a bit over teh last 3 years to the point where it's no longer providing enough power to run what I'm running.

I'm guessing it's some combination of all that stuff. If the fan change and TurboV disable don't work tonight, I'll get a new power supply. I can't believe it's a coincidence that this seems to happen to people with ASUS motherboards.

---------- Post added 2012-08-10 at 05:03 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by ccckkk View Post
    GW2 can do this on some graphics cards, even if they aren't excessively hot.

A fix (until they optimise further) is to underclock the graphics card, if that is indeed the problem.

The simple answer, however, is that GW2 can randomly restart your computer, and if it works fine for everything else I would suggest there is a fair chance this is the problem.

[There used to be posts about this on the GW2 tech forum, haven't checked recently.]
    I'm probably the one that posted the problem

How do I underclock the graphics card?
    Humans are the only species on the planet smart enough to be this stupid.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Delias View Post
    Just go through your graphical settings ingame, find vsync, and make sure it is enabled.
    Guess I have to leave one IOU note here

While I appreciate that everyone is playing a part in diagnosing why my computer shuts off while running GW2, none of you have really graced the crux of the issue...

Why would GW2 be overheating my PC when it exceeds the specifications, and what is the fix?
    Because you may not be frame limiting it, if for some reason your FPS is in the thousands due to there not being a frame limiter your computer will over heat really fast, DDO had (and still has) that issue if you let it, tweak a few settings and you can limit the frame rate in DDO rather then let it go full throttle, but default settings burn up better computers because it does overkill on the video card. Older video games had this same issue as well where they where built for the tech at the time, but if you pop them in a new machine it plays unplayabley fast due to not putting in limiters, an example that I remember would be THPS and THPS 2, try to play a level of those on a machine made in the last 10 years and you will literately skate across the entire level in less then 2 seconds because of the coding not protecting itself against more powerful machines then what it was made to run on, they are unplayable because of this.

Odds are this is not the issue since most people (not me but most) are having slightly low frame rate... but it is one plausible reason it would overheat for that game and no others.

But since it was a stress test there is very good odds that they where tweaking the game so people could have smoother frame rates and just accidentally took off the frame limiter and thus your computer started to try to render 800-1200 frames per second rather then 30-150 frames per second. As they stated many times they are doing updates during the stress test and so it is quit plausible something like this could have occurred.

Either way unfinished product is unfinished, submit a bug report, and hope that they fixed whatever bug they created while working on the stress test before launch.

Just an update...

I downloaded the new beta drivers for notebook nvidia geforce cards and I experienced no resetting issue with the stress test yesterday.