Deleted

Dealing With Angry Friends

A bit of backstory first of all. I got into a bit of a situation with one of my friends recently, I done something that unintentionally upset them and of course apologised etc after the fact. They seemed kinda pissed so I figured I'd leave them a few days for things to calm. Move forward a few days and I start up a conversation with them, only to be met with thinly veiled cynicism and a general "gtfo" attitude.

In general how do you deal with these situations? Are you one of the people who'll do everything in their power to set things right, or will you give your friend some space until things calm down? I've tried the latter here but apparently it hasn't worked!

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm the kind of guy that basically waits for his friends to come over and drag him out somewhere anyway, so I would definitely wait out an argument. Besides, you already tried to start up a dialogue with them, so you've done what you could.

10+ Year Old Account
    Let's start with what you did, then we could probably understand why they're still upset about it.

Quote Originally Posted by aztr0 View Post
    Let's start with what you did, then we could probably understand why they're still upset about it.
    I think he would've shared it with us if he wanted to already :P But to answer your question OP. If this friendship is important to you, I'd just wait it out. If it's not too important, then I'm sure you can find someone better.

Always found the best way to deal with these situations are pretty simple.

Initial apology.
    Leave the situation alone and give them space a reasonable amount of time.
    After a decent amount of time, suggest doing something, dont mention argument.
    Once you are out and engaged with said friend again, casually apologise once again.

usually something like, "hey that thing, you know im sorry about that right?" "oh yea, thats cool dont worry"

Generally it's that straight forward, unless it was something properly hurtful you may need to be a bit more in depth and explain you understand you upset them and are sorry. Real friendships get past arguments pretty easy just give it space and time.

Deleted
    It's a general question rather than me specifically, no intention on weaving a dramatic tale =)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeleh View Post
    Always found the best way to deal with these situations are pretty simple.

Initial apology.
    Leave the situation alone and give them space a reasonable amount of time.
    After a decent amount of time, suggest doing something, dont mention argument.
    Once you are out and engaged with said friend again, casually apologise once again.

usually something like, "hey that thing, you know im sorry about that right?" "oh yea, thats cool dont worry"

Generally it's that straight forward, unless it was something properly hurtful you may need to be a bit more in depth and explain you understand you upset them and are sorry. Real friendships get past arguments pretty easy just give it space and time.
    Seems to be the general idea I have. In my situation I apologised at the time, explained that it was an accident. I only left it 4 days though, probably my downfall is wanting to fix things where I can instead of just waiting.

Quote Originally Posted by Animma View Post
    A bit of backstory first of all. I got into a bit of a situation with one of my friends recently, I done something that unintentionally upset them and of course apologised etc after the fact. They seemed kinda pissed so I figured I'd leave them a few days for things to calm. Move forward a few days and I start up a conversation with them, only to be met with thinly veiled cynicism and a general "gtfo" attitude.

In general how do you deal with these situations? Are you one of the people who'll do everything in their power to set things right, or will you give your friend some space until things calm down? I've tried the latter here but apparently it hasn't worked!
    If somebody can't let go of their negative emotions it's because they are a tiny angry person, who is just bitter when everything doesn't happen their own way. Move on, get a new friend, because this person is an unstable douche who expects the whole world to join their pathetic little pity party.

If you keep showing up at said party, they'll just keep throwing it, so don't be an enabler.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm tall, and thin, with a bright red head but strike me once and I'm black instead...
    If somebody can't let go of their negative emotions it's because they are a tiny angry person, who is just bitter when everything doesn't happen their own way. Move on, get a new friend, because this person is an unstable douche who expects the whole world to join their pathetic little pity party. If you keep showing up at said party, they'll just keep throwing it, so don't be an enabler.
    There is some truth to this. But you have to weigh in how good a friend they have been, how long you've been friends, and stuff like that. But yeah, if you apologized and they are still holding it against you after a decent amount of time then this is just a small, bitter, petty person and you'd be better off without them. I've met people of that stripe, and they are never satisfied. They keep holding trivial slights against people for as long as it gives them an advantage.

if the apology didnt work offer them a tampon. if nothing else it usually brings out whats on their mind

10+ Year Old Account
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    It all depends on my mood and the situation. If i know it's a friend who's as dependent on me as i am on him, then i would usually keep my distance until they cool down and realise they don't want to lose me as a friend.

To be honest, I've never had to deal with this. I'm usually the angry friend, but I can't stay mad at someone for long periods of time even when I should.

10+ Year Old Account
    Slingshot them into green pigs.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    Quote Originally Posted by Jersovic View Post
    To be honest, I've never had to deal with this. I'm usually the angry friend, but I can't stay mad at someone for long periods of time even when I should.
    Same here, my best friend is simply the kind of person that's really careless but doesn't realise it. I've raged so many times at the way he sometimes treats me (although not to him) although lately i've realised that it's just in his character and i've learned to expect and ignore it.