Addiction and what to do when deeply involved in a game.

Hey Guys,

I have had the absolute pleasure of playing the beta for guilds wars 2 and I haven't had so much fun in a mmo since burning crusade and a portion of WOLTK called ulduar.

There is a chance for myself and a lot of others to get highly addicted to this game and here is just some things you should do to keep your blood flowing.

1) Make your own food and drinks, don't get anyone to do it for you even if they offer.
    2) Take a 10 minute stroll around the block, or walk to the food store if you have one close by at least once a day if you not currently employed. (Walk the dogs if you have)
    3) If you currently going to gym or involved in a sport, do your best not to quit it for the game.
    4) Make time for your friends and family still.

Please feel free to add any other suggestions.

Deleted

Another suggestion

Having had to deal with a bit of eyesight degradation over the last couple of years, might I suggest looking out the window for 1-3 minutes every hour? Stretches your eye muscles by changing the distance you're focusing on, and when you look back at the screen your eyes feel great =D

Deleted
    So, you´re telling nerds to move around and be healthy am i right??

....Mwhahahhahaha

In all seriousness, this is already things people know to be good for them, im sure they dont need some random person on the internet telling them tips on how to live

Deleted
    You can do all those things and still become too deeply involved in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by DiamondDust View Post
    So, you´re telling nerds to move around and be healthy am i right??
    ....Mwhahahhahaha

In all seriousness, this is already things people know to be good for them, im sure they dont need some random person on the internet telling them tips on how to live
    I think some people do need tips! but yeah they will not have any affect on them sadly

Quote Originally Posted by DiamondDust View Post
    Eh, if it gets just one more person taking steps to improve their health, then it can only be a good thing.

I carry a 4L jug of water around on my days off and I usually try my best to drink all of it. I don't always do but just having a readily available source of water close by helped me to get off the soft drinks. Plus peeing never felt so good (also ridiculously good for skincare).

As a person who was addicted to video games hardcore in the UO era I suffered from health issues until I took advise from loved ones and got out and went back to the gym and doing other thing's I loved such as fishing, camping and hunting. A lot of people do not realize how badly they let them self go and suffer from it down the road. It is always good to have someone remind us about the real life we live and not just a pixel world we get lost in for hours at a time. Thanks for posting ShadowCrafter

Herald of the Titans Snow White's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I really don't see myself getting "addicted" to this game.

Not saying that gw2 isn't as good or as engaging as other mmos, (because I think it's superior in every way) but it just doesn't push me the way other mmos in the past have and I believe that's a really great thing. I feel I can play gw2 at my own pace and I wont be missing out on anything. I'm not compelled to mindlessly click away while half watching tv (and I doubt I'd get away with it) just so I can get that last level or crafting point because I'm not rushed. This might have to do with the fact that I don't feel like I'm competing against my server like I did in WoW because in GW2 I'm working with my server as a community.

Nice thread OP.
    Last edited by Snow White; 2012-08-10 at 11:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by zeelic View Post
    As a person who was addicted to video games hardcore in the UO era I suffered from health issues until I took advise from loved ones and got out and went back to the gym and doing other thing's I loved such as fishing, camping and hunting. A lot of people do not realize how badly they let them self go and suffer from it down the road. It is always good to have someone remind us about the real life we live and not just a pixel world we get lost in for hours at a time. Thanks for posting ShadowCrafter
    this ^_^ A+

In fact, I WILL start going to gym and seriously bulking up if GW2 fails.

Quote Originally Posted by zeelic View Post
    No problem, I think as humans we do know whats good for us but sometimes we need to hear it from others to make more of a mental dent.

5. Amputate both your legs. No blood clots from sitting too long. $$$

I agree that we know whats best for us, but being one of the few creatures in the world that can acquire a addictive dependents on something we more so then not forget what we must do to live a good life.

Deleted
    Try to make a reasonable schedule (e.g. "I do these, these and these things in GW2 today and pick up the rest tomorrow" or your basic "From X o'clock to Y o'clock") for your sessions and stick to them! That way you'll get to enjoy the game in a much longer timeline and keep your head clear.

And another thing which I have found to be important: After you've finished with your game session for the day, don't go online to look up videos or read GW2 involving forums etc.. That way the game is constantly in your mind, and that usually leads to addiction

I love you avatar pic Meerkat<3

Quote Originally Posted by Meerkat View Post
    And another thing which I have found to be important: After you've finished with your game session for the day, don't go online to look up videos or read GW2 involving forums etc.. That way the game is constantly in your mind, and that usually leads to addiction
    Nah, addiction leads to doing that