Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Morokai View Post
    Hey people. We all know the character movement in WoW is very smooth. In the beginning it felt very unnatural for me in guild wars 2 but after a while i liked it even more than in WoW. How do you guys think about the character movement?
    I feel like it's helping my movement skills by far. In wow it's not as punishing to stand still and take a hit or two while in GW2 that's something you cannot afford to do. Kiting, dodging and be on the move all the time is really fun. It's defenitely more action and more fun I'd say. But will take a while to learn and be good at =)

Hey people. We all know the character movement in WoW is very smooth. In the beginning it felt very unnatural for me in guild wars 2 but after a while i liked it even more than in WoW. How do you guys think about the character movement?
    Loged 1st time yesterday during the stress test. Felt awkward and clumsy and a tad slowish.

But was 1st contact with the game i guess i ll get used to it or change a few things on settings etc.
    Last edited by MarizzaDraenor; 2012-08-11 at 10:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Maythael View Post
    Same here. Could someone explain more in detail what's wrong/odd about the camera?
    It follows slightly behind your mouse, so when your mouse stops moving, the camera hasn't yet. It's essentially a smoothing delay made to make the cameras movement seem fluid rather than jerky. But for someone like me it just makes it feel unresponsive and slow. When my mouse stops, so should the camera, there shouldn't be a delay.

Quote Originally Posted by MarizzaDraenor View Post
    Loged 1st time yesterday during the stress test. Felt awkward and clumsy and a tad slowish.

But was 1st contact with the game i guess i ll get used to it or change a few things on settings etc.
    Honestly i wouldn't judge it based off of a stress test. The last one was really lagged to the point where i gave up with about an hour left.

---------- Post added 2012-08-11 at 10:24 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Keldrath View Post
    It follows slightly behind your mouse, so when your mouse stops moving, the camera hasn't yet. It's essentially a smoothing delay made to make the cameras movement seem fluid rather than jerky. But for someone like me it just makes it feel unresponsive and slow. When my mouse stops, so should the camera, there shouldn't be a delay.
    I didn't notice it at all. I did change some settings to how i like it but i guess to each their own. Maybe it will just take some people more time to get used to it. For me it was completely fluid without my character sliding across the floor like in some games.

I thought it was fixed, my camera was not smoothing yesterday...

Quote Originally Posted by Setekh View Post
    Honestly i wouldn't judge it based off of a stress test. The last one was really lagged to the point where i gave up with about an hour left.

---------- Post added 2012-08-11 at 10:24 AM ----------

I didn't notice it at all. I did change some settings to how i like it but i guess to each their own. Maybe it will just take some people more time to get used to it. For me it was completely fluid without my character sliding across the floor like in some games.
    The character movement is great, it's just the camera movement that bothers me.

Quote Originally Posted by Oglok View Post
    You may need to turn Off mouse acceleration on your OS or even on your mouse software.
    My Mouse acceleration is turned off, I have downloaded programs to disable it. I play Battlefield 3 so Mouse Acceleration is a horrid thing for any FPS.

I know exactly what the OP is talking about. You can easily tell the difference in responsiveness between WoW and GW2. Theres like a millisecond lag from when you move your mouse and when the camera pans. I've tried to explain it to other on the GW2 forums but like here, not many have a clue what we mean.

10+ Year Old Account
    At first I thought it was input lag on my side, but after a bit of reading turns out it's supposed to be like that.

I thought developers had understood by now that NOTHING is more satisfying for a player than to feel all their fundamental controls (movement, camera and abilities) feel snappy and responsive - it greatly increases immersion because you're able to play the game without feeling as if you're detatched from it. Your character (and camera) should be able to keep up with your brain/reflexes, that is absolutely crucial especially in a competetive PvP scenario.
    There is a special place in hell for any game developer who thinks otherwise. Realism can go fuck itself.

The *only* advantage GW2's camera has over WoW's camera is the zoom function - GW2's zoom is fast and responsive, WoW's is extremely slow/delayed. But when it comes to everything else (camera panning/rotation/zoom distance/FoV/movement/etc etc) WoW's camera is leagues more polished.

It's not a deal-breaker like the sickeningly low FoV, but it's the little things that count and making the camera feel more responsive would go a long way.

No MMO can be perfect (as badly as I want GW2 to be) but if they listen to the community and put in a bit of work for quality of life improvements like these, they're going to have the ultimate game.
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2012-08-22 at 06:13 AM.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

The camera movespeed is pretty sluggish and I dislike that, upping the rotation speed doesn't help enough, it helps a tiny bit but it's barely noticeable.

Other than that the only real difference is you can move while midair so you can position yourself better especially for jumps on jumping puzzles, and strafing instead of being slightly faster than moving forward is slightly slower. In fact I barely notice a difference between strafing and backpeddling

This is exactly how I felt when I first started - it felt weird and bit slowish (though I hadn't played wow for few years now) - however few hours in it clicked and it feels so natural now....
    "Bill Nye: So Todd I got an offer for you. You and me. Any time. Any place. Debating science mano- a-mano. I'll bring the facts, and you bring the Vaseline. Because your ass is gonna fucking need it when I'm done whipping."

Mr Eames: "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jtgizmo View Post
    This is exactly how I felt when I first started - it felt weird and bit slowish (though I hadn't played wow for few years now) - however few hours in it clicked and it feels so natural now....
    I think the key is that is a little different, but it a matter of getting used to it, rather than it being broken(it's not). Very first time i played GW2 i was a bit eek this is weird, but now i't s not even noted, i just get on in and play.

Quote Originally Posted by Keldrath View Post
    Yes. And it seems most people aren't "seeing" this (and think we're making something up), but I've seen enough threads and enough descriptions that I know there are other people who are struggling with the mushy mouse panning. The panning should be 1:1, my wrist movement to camera movement, but they are getting cute with it and I'm losing hope now that it's been released with no option to disable it :/

There are other camera issues I've seen complaints on, like the FOV. That's bugging me too but not as bad. It feels like I'm stuck inside a car and I'm constantly craning my head to see out the windshield, to see the big picture. My neck is actually getting cramped IRL because I think I'm somehow trying to compensate. A lack of first-person view exacerbates it.
    Last edited by Maenerd; 2012-08-26 at 08:56 AM.

I wish they had a latency calculator ingame somewhere so I can see how badly I'm lagging. When moving it makes a big difference....

Deleted
    WoW movement ís "incredibly smooth"? Really? WoW movement is stiff and dated, and mid-air backflips or spins don't alleviate that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherrysoul View Post
    I think the key is that is a little different, but it a matter of getting used to it, rather than it being broken(it's not). Very first time i played GW2 i was a bit eek this is weird, but now i't s not even noted, i just get on in and play.
    Have to agree 100%. It definitely feels different when you first start playing but I would say within half and hour or less you start getting used to it and after that you don't even notice it.

WoW is still the winner for me when it comes to responsiveness, camera movement and how the toons move.

The way GW2 toons move though fits this game, so I have no problems at all really...well, except for when I turn pressing down the right mouse key, the toon doesn't turn...that feels very annoying.

---------- Post added 2012-08-26 at 10:20 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Dekadez View Post
    WoW movement ís "incredibly smooth"? Really? WoW movement is stiff and dated, and mid-air backflips or spins don't alleviate that.
    We're talking responsiveness and camera here, not animations. And I'd like to disagree when it comes to the newer races, having a standard that the old ones will get in time.
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2012-08-26 at 10:23 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by iggie View Post
    I wish they had a latency calculator ingame somewhere so I can see how badly I'm lagging. When moving it makes a big difference....
    I'm pretty sure movement is client-side. It would be absurd to have server-side movement, the game would've been unplayable from Aus/NZ otherwise. But I definitely agree with a latency meter, it should exist in all online games period. ANet must've left it out on purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by yuca247 View Post
    Have to agree 100%. It definitely feels different when you first start playing but I would say within half and hour or less you start getting used to it and after that you don't even notice it.
    Took me a good ~4+ hours but now it feels natural, thank heavens.
    Would've still been nice to have it as responsive as WoW's camera though :P
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze