Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account

I need help with GW2 PvP

So here is the deal, I only got to try the game out during the last 2 stress tests. I hit lvl 2 and hit the structured PvP. I tested all of the professions out as well.

Here is my problem:

I feel like I am doing no damage. I would go 1v1 with someone and be hitting them with everything I throw at them, but when I die and look up at their health they are almost full still. I use my healing abilities and CC and other stuff that helps me out the best I can, but I just feel like I am not doing ANY damage at all. The prof I believe I did best with was the Mesmer, the last fight I was in was 1v1 and I believe if was a Thief, I hit him with a lot and he had just about 0 damage gone from his health when I died.

Can someone explain to me how GW2's PvP works? I am used to WoW and games like Smite and LoL. I am sure I will get the hang of it, but every prof kinda felt the same for me personally as far as damage went, basically there wasn't any, especially compared to the damage I was taking and how fast I was dying.

Did you make your own trait builds, rune and sigil setups and weapon/utility skills?

Did you buy a different amulet, sigils, and runes to help synergize your build?

Without seeing you play it's hard to know what you're doing wrong, I had similar issues when I played for the first time but once you're use to the profession those problems disappeared.

When you're engaging in combat are you actively moving, healing and using your skills wisely?

edit: I definitely concur with what both posters have said but even if you used the default builds (like I did most of the time) I don't think you should be having these problems.
    Last edited by NeonX; 2012-08-11 at 03:00 AM.

Deleted
    Thing about thief is it has a lot of dodge and evasive skills as well as things up its sleeve that improve survival. This could have been your problem. Also I've noticed mesmers aren't particularly hard-hitting in the recent tests, at least for me, I've fought many mesmers in PvP and they don't seem to be a problem to take down at all.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    [/COLOR]I wouldn't say wisely Neon, but I wasn't using them stupidly either if that makes any sense. I had a general idea of when the abilities should be used and in what types of situations just by reading the descriptions. I healed when I felt necessary and retreated when necessary and when I could. The one Profession I felt did actually do damage was the Warrior with the dual wield axes.

I had the problem with Mesmer and Warrior, but I did the best with those 2 out of all of them. Like I said though, there could have been someone healing them, maybe they had a damage reduction ability up, no clue. I will get it eventually, just need to test, test, test.

I dont know why this posted twice, sorry mod.
    Last edited by Ragenerdz; 2012-08-11 at 03:09 AM.

could just be your build isnt very good or your not syncing your gear to your build. usually in a 1v1 situation i can get ppl to half hp with a build im trying for the first time. For ones i know that work in 1v1 ill prolly kill them. But its hard to find 1v1 situations that dont end up in 3v1.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hjalmtyr View Post
    Also I've noticed mesmers aren't particularly hard-hitting in the recent tests, at least for me, I've fought many mesmers in PvP and they don't seem to be a problem to take down at all.
    I got the exact opposite opinion on the subject.
    I was playing warrior and a mesmer in a 1v1 situation managed to get me down in 10seconds, two times (same person).
    I know I used a dmg focused build, but still nobody ever in the 4hours of todays pvping, managed to come close to that.

Edit: I usually died 2-4 times per match, so I dont play reckless, this guy must have been good unlike the mesmers you have met.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeek Daniels View Post
    could just be your build isnt very good or your not syncing your gear to your build. usually in a 1v1 situation i can get ppl to half hp with a build im trying for the first time. For ones i know that work in 1v1 ill prolly kill them. But its hard to find 1v1 situations that dont end up in 3v1.
    This is very true. Unless you have a very bursty build or you catch someone at low life, other people will most likely get involved. Sometimes in your favor, but sometimes not. It is possible you fought people with better builds, you were not avoiding things like you should (you HAVE to dodge in this), you did not heal fast enough, etc. Also the person you fought could have just been better at their class.

@ Ec: Did you notice the weapon they were using? I have done similar things on my staff mesmer, but I know that melee based mesmers are also very good at putting guys down fast.
    Last edited by Speedy92286; 2012-08-11 at 03:17 AM.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../Aliyra/simple
    PM me if you ever want to add me for Hearthstone!

Deleted
    I can't recall. What I noticed is that he kept 3-4 clones up all time.
    I dont know how mesmers play, but i hope it helps.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ecstatic View Post
    I can't recall. What I noticed is that he kept 3-4 clones up all time.
    I dont know how mesmers play, but i hope it helps.
    Yeah, offensive illusion builds are great for bursty dps. It used to be worse before they nerfed illusion damage. Doesn't help with the weapon, but still sounds like a fun fight. Wish I fought more of those.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../Aliyra/simple
    PM me if you ever want to add me for Hearthstone!

Deleted
    Not fun for the non-mesmer...
    All those little (asura) clowns were making me go nuts :/
    Asuras and Mesmers, my worst nightmares combined this guy was... and he proved to be a nightmare to fight too.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragenerdz View Post
    So here is the deal, I only got to try the game out during the last 2 stress tests. I hit lvl 2 and hit the structured PvP. I tested all of the professions out as well.

Here is my problem:

I feel like I am doing no damage. I would go 1v1 with someone and be hitting them with everything I throw at them, but when I die and look up at their health they are almost full still. I use my healing abilities and CC and other stuff that helps me out the best I can, but I just feel like I am not doing ANY damage at all. The prof I believe I did best with was the Mesmer, the last fight I was in was 1v1 and I believe if was a Thief, I hit him with a lot and he had just about 0 damage gone from his health when I died.

Can someone explain to me how GW2's PvP works? I am used to WoW and games like Smite and LoL. I am sure I will get the hang of it, but every prof kinda felt the same for me personally as far as damage went, basically there wasn't any, especially compared to the damage I was taking and how fast I was dying.
    I hope this vid help instead of scared: