Deleted

London to get "Cycling Marathon"

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012...?newsfeed=true

Owing the the success of Team GB at the track cycling, the British government intends to host an event called RideLondon. This involves an 8mile family track on one day, and a 100 mile event for amateurs and some elite cyclists on another.

Just as a show of hands, is anyone thinking of doing this? I moved the Los Angeles from London earlier this year, but i'm planning to come back next August for a few weeks if this goes ahead. The course takes in many London landmarks apparently and the roads will be completely closed, so no bendy busses to deal with.

Seems like a great idea to me!

If I lived in London, I'd probably do it. Sounds pretty fun.
    ಠ_ಠ

15+ Year Old Account
    I guess. Try biking the Bruce trail 885km across a province. That's hardcore.

http://www.fugawi.com/web/images/map...e_trail_hr.gif

Deleted
    I got my first road bike a few months ago - http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-sho...road-bike.html

Would like to do something special on it, haven't done much distance yet, 20/30miles here and there, still use my mountain bike more

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzzie View Post
    I guess. Try biking the Bruce trail 885km across a province. That's hardcore.

http://www.fugawi.com/web/images/map...e_trail_hr.gif
    Speaking of riding across the country, I'd like to try bicycling across the US eventually, coast to coast. I almost got started a couple years ago, but ended up chickening out.
    ಠ_ಠ

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    OP, have you done CicLAvia there in Los Angeles? If not I highly suggest it. There are several cities around the world that do something similar on a monthly basis to different degrees.

Big fan of all things England when it comes to cycling tho. I love my Brooks saddle and my Carradice Camper. Also, SJS Cycles can often times get products to me here in California faster and cheaper than some of the US based online cycling shops.

Quote Originally Posted by LummyBear View Post
    I got my first road bike a few months ago - http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-sho...road-bike.html

Would like to do something special on it, haven't done much distance yet, 20/30miles here and there, still use my mountain bike more
    Gratz! Nice looking bike!

Quote Originally Posted by Hoticehunter View Post
    Speaking of riding across the country, I'd like to try bicycling across the US eventually, coast to coast. I almost got started a couple years ago, but ended up chickening out.
    Perhaps try some shorter duration/distance self-supported trips first? Even doing S24O's you'll learn a lot and build that confidence. Longest I'm able to do is 3-5 days because of IRL obligations. Be careful tho, its pretty darn addicting and you may find yourself 'slipping away for the night' whenever the weather is nice.
    Last edited by Rooflesstoofless; 2012-08-12 at 10:58 PM.

Deleted
    Good news. I really hope that the cycling boom continues here, the best way to do that would be to have a prestigous annual road race, and to try and give the Tour of Britain more importance. People turned out in their thousands to cheer on Cav and Wiggo, if we could get people doing that regularly the sport will be cemented in the British consciousness.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sounds like a great idea, but I'd be too lazy to bother riding a bike for one mile, let alone 100.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by LummyBear View Post

Nice bike that. I've personally got a Trek Speed Concept 9.9. Average about 25-40miles a day around LA depending on what i've got to do that day, and i really don't feel it because the bike is just effortless to use. It weighs practically nothing, entirely carbon fibre. Great for speed.

Highest i've got up to is 109kph, wouldn't really want to go much faster with it on roads though in case i hit an ant and it shatters the frame lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jess Day View Post
    Nice bike that. I've personally got a Trek Speed Concept 9.9. Average about 25-40miles a day around LA depending on what i've got to do that day, and i really don't feel it because the bike is just effortless to use. It weighs practically nothing, entirely carbon fibre. Great for speed.

Highest i've got up to is 109kph, wouldn't really want to go much faster with it on roads though in case i hit an ant and it shatters the frame lol.
    You train on a tt bike? I'd imagine that'll kill your back doing that day after day, what kind of events do you race?

Deleted
    Yeah i originally bought it with the intention of entering a few time trials in my home county of Dorset in England. Then my circumstances HUGELY changed and i ended up moving to london and then on to LA and never got round to entering any competitive races. So instead i keep myself fit by setting myself mini time trials every day on the Roads of LA. They were originally quite short trips as i didn't think i'd last long on that bike, but after riding it for nearly 60 miles one day out of boredom and then realising when i got off i had no pain in my back or neck whatsoever, i figured i'd run longer distances on it.

I dont know whether it's just my size or what, but i find the SC9.9 more comfortable than my Trailfox11 that i bought purely for comfort. [I don't do cross country, but it was comfy as hell]. It's just something about leaning forward that feels natural to me i guess

But yeah i ride the SC9.9 basically every day without any real discomfort. To be honest i should probably get searching for some trials around Cali, i've only been here a few weeks now so it hasn't really been top of list of priorities

Deleted
    Im gona go ahead and do this. Riding around London without the prospect of being run over by a bus/lorry/taxi/other cyclist will be well worth it even if its just for one day.