Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Centaurs, centaurs, centaurs....

I was able to get up to level 26 on my human elementalist from BWE#3 to this last stress test. I have done the majority of my leveling by doing Dynamic Events. They are much more enjoyable and most of the time more difficult than your traditional questing in MMOs, however, I do have one complaint in my leveling experience. In the human zones that I have seen so far (levels 1-35) the events predominately involve the killing of centaurs. I have never played the original Guild Wars, but from this, I am guessing centaurs are a major threat to the human race. But do we really have to fight them so much? I would prefer a little more variety of creatures to fight to keep me interested in doing DEs.

I have been wondering if the other races are similar to this in some way, where they have a major threat which they are fighting most of the time in events. Could someone tell me if this is only a problem with the humans?

It's just beta, the centaurs are placeholders for the thousands of other enemy models that will be used.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by slime View Post
    It's just beta, the centaurs are placeholders for the thousands of other enemy models that will be used.
    Have any post from the devs to back that up?

In the first Guild Wars you fought Charr for like, 1/3rd for the game. So it seems more or less in line with Guild Wars 1. However, you also bump into Bandits, Grawl, Dredge, Skritt and the usually assortment of spiders, bats and so on. So while Centaurs are prominent... there are quite a lot of of other mobs. In fairness.

10+ Year Old Account
    Humans typically have to deal with centaur and bandits.
    Sylvari typically have to deal with Nightmare Court and undead and Hylek.
    Asura typically have to deal with Inquest, and crazed golems, think there's also Hylek in their areas.
    Norn typically have to deal with Sons of Svanir and Jormag's minions, as well as hunting wild animals.
    Charr typically have to deal with Ascalonian ghosts and Flame Legion.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    it's about to be released in like 2 weeks 0o

Deleted
    rofl, please don't tell me you truly believe in what you wrote, please.

Quote Originally Posted by Adversarius View Post
    I was able to get up to level 26 on my human elementalist from BWE#3 to this last stress test. I have done the majority of my leveling by doing Dynamic Events. They are much more enjoyable and most of the time more difficult than your traditional questing in MMOs, however, I do have one complaint in my leveling experience. In the human zones that I have seen so far (levels 1-35) the events predominately involve the killing of centaurs. I have never played the original Guild Wars, but from this, I am guessing centaurs are a major threat to the human race. But do we really have to fight them so much? I would prefer a little more variety of creatures to fight to keep me interested in doing DEs.

I have been wondering if the other races are similar to this in some way, where they have a major threat which they are fighting most of the time in events. Could someone tell me if this is only a problem with the humans?
    Yes each race is kinda like this, the first 2 zones usually involves one (sometimes 2) enemy factions. If you are bored by centaurs try to go to another area maybe ?
    I don't really know how it evolves in 25-35 zones but since these zones are where multiple race end up, it should be more varied.

Basicly
    Norn: Skyrim nords dudes
    Sylvari: Black sylvaris
    Char: Human Ghosts and bad Charrs
    Asura: Bad Asuras

Edit: Btw, slime is obviously trolling
    Last edited by rezoacken; 2012-08-11 at 06:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    Humans typically have to deal with centaur and bandits.
    Sylvari typically have to deal with Nightmare Court and undead and Hylek.
    Asura typically have to deal with Inquest, and crazed golems, think there's also Hylek in their areas.
    Norn typically have to deal with Sons of Svanir and Jormag's minions, as well as hunting wild animals.
    Looks like I am just gonna have to switch zones often to keep myself from getting burnt out.

The humans in Kryta are currently at war with Centaurs, which is why they are prominently featured in the human starting zones. The Centaurs were the biggest threat to that nation and not so much the Charr who were a threat to the nation of Ascalon. So your going to get alot of Human vs centaur story in the human zones but that wont be the case as you move away from kryta and further out as centaurs wont be inhabiting those regions.

obviously the zones near the races homes are going to deal with that races immediate problems, kinda like what ree soesbee and jeff grubb were saying in their live stream about how your personal story starts with internal issues in your homeland and then moves on to the greater danger that is zhaitan. The zones in GW2 will do the same. As you get further and further in you will see a shift in what your fighting against.
    Last edited by Zeek Daniels; 2012-08-11 at 06:44 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I sincerely hope this was sarcasm. If so, well done. I chuckled.
    Mountains rise in the distance stalwart as the stars, fading forever.
    Roads ever weaving, soul ever seeking the hunter's mark.

You forgot about skritt!

Sylvari Necromancer

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by galaxiah View Post
    You forgot about skritt!
    Meh. Skritt. They're everywhere.

I've actually come to pity Skritt after seeing them with my own eyes in the game, with their in-game emotes and the way they're treated by the Asura. Then there's this:

A small colony of skritt came upon a tribe of kodan and listened to the kodan philosophy. As a group, they were able to understand it very well, and one of them was impressed and wanted to learn more. The other skritt left the area, but that one stayed behind to study with the kodan. Unfortunately, once the other skritt left, he found himself in a terrible position—he was no longer intelligent enough to understand the kodan philosophy or remember why he idolized them so much. The feelings remained and he stayed with the kodan—but, tragically, he would never be able to truly understand them.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-08-11 at 06:48 PM.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

There was a hint in the recent lore livestream that th Asura were eventually gonna rule over Tyria. Just a matter of time. After seeing how the Asura treat the Skritt... Asiura are kinda jerks.

Perhaps we may find out down the line that the Asura are a race of Veigars/Tyrants.

Deleted
    I hope there will be ettins (gw1 monsters) in Guild Wars 2. I hate them so much that I love them xD

Yeah! http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Ettin
    Last edited by mmocf89c8b0f36; 2012-08-11 at 07:15 PM.

The real question is: Could you outrun a centaur?

I did get the same feeling playing through the human areas in BWE2. I read somewhere that ArenaNet is increasing the variety of mobs in some areas to address the monotony. In BWE3, I noticed less centaur dynamic events and more of other kinds. One of the reasons for the beta test is to figure out the right balance for scaling and frequency of dynamic events.

Quote Originally Posted by Roudene View Post
    I hope there will be ettins (gw1 monsters) in Guild Wars 2. I hate them so much that I love them xD

Yeah! http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Ettin
    Yeah there are ettins in human zones.

A few events in Kessex Hills are Ettin related. One of which is tough as heck too!

It's almost like fanservice to GW1 players. As a human, I can't help but be drawn here, so much history coming straight to the forefront…

It's why Ebonhawke will probably be my favorite hangout >.>
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

Psst. The champion and veteran ghosts are characters from Guild Wars 1. AC uses the original GW1 classes and abilities.

Queensdale and Plains of Ashford are love letters to GW1 players. /guild wars hipster