10+ Year Old Account
    How did RM let that in......

well nvm 2-2

Update 3-2 Hart with a blunder
    Last edited by laffling; 2012-09-18 at 08:33 PM.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Really happy now, got 3 points to take back home and I managed to watch most of the second half of RM-City :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier, TF2
    "You were good son, real good; maybe even the best."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by laffling View Post
    Update 3-2 Hart with a blunder
    Don't think its Hart's fault, watching the replay Kompany looks like he is going to head the ball out and then stops in the last second, Kompany's bad defending.

Anyway, fantastic match, welcome back champions league.
    “The church says the earth is flat, but I know that it is round, for I have seen the shadow on the moon, and I have more faith in a shadow than in the church”

-Ferdinand Magellan (1480 – 1521)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikni View Post
    Don't think its Hart's fault, watching the replay Kompany looks like he is going to head the ball out and then stops in the last second, Kompany's bad defending.

Anyway, fantastic match, welcome back champions league.
    You might be right but still the defending on both sides was horrible today and yep WB champions league

Uefa fantasy site down for anyone else?
    Last edited by laffling; 2012-09-18 at 09:11 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    yes its down for me too fantasy site that is.
    It's coming in 1.2!!!

15+ Year Old Account
    Well Manchester City looked better today than they did last season in the CL, even though they lost. Now just hoping the same from Manchester United (but a win, of course )

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by d3v View Post
    Well Manchester City looked better today than they did last season in the CL, even though they lost. Now just hoping the same from Manchester United (but a win, of course )
    well, united can't do much worse then last season can they :P
    not like their group is harder then last season lol.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Larath View Post
    well, united can't do much worse then last season can they :P
    not like their group is harder then last season lol.
    Aye, their group isn't harder than last season indeed but look what happened hah, let's hope they do better this season...

Also interesting that Sir Alex Ferguson has announced United wont have a "main" goalkeeper this season and will be rotating De Gea and Lindegaard constantly. To be honest I think it's an okay idea, I don't really feel De Gea is much better than Lindegaard and this as what I see as "healthy competition" between the 2 will hopefully make them perform better.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think rotating keepers usually is a bad idea, personally I think its better to have a first keeper and a second one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Aye, their group isn't harder than last season indeed but look what happened hah, let's hope they do better this season...

Also interesting that Sir Alex Ferguson has announced United wont have a "main" goalkeeper this season and will be rotating De Gea and Lindegaard constantly. To be honest I think it's an okay idea, I don't really feel De Gea is much better than Lindegaard and this as what I see as "healthy competition" between the 2 will hopefully make them perform better.
    I think De Gea is more of a shot stopper/reflex keeper and Lingegaard is better when against more physical teams but that's imo

15+ Year Old Account
    I think rotating keepers usually is a bad idea, personally I think its better to have a first keeper and a second one.
    It is indeed something different, not sure if Ferguson has done this in the past. Then again he had keepers like Schmeichel (1991-1999), Barthez (2000-2003) and Van de Sar(2005-2011), that's 20 years of amazing keepers. I'm in no way saying De Gea is not good, but he's not one of those 3, not yet at least. But he's only 21, still many years to gain experience, especially seeing Van de Sar carried on until he was 40.

I was actually kind of surprised when Van de Sar retired that Ferguson chose De Gea, but then again Ferguson seems to believe in young talent. He's shown that with Welbeck too.

Quote Originally Posted by laffling View Post
    I think De Gea is more of a shot stopper/reflex keeper and Lingegaard is better when against more physical teams but that's imo
    I agree with you, they're both good in different situations. When De Gea was having a bad period last season and Ferguson put Lindegaard in for 5 consecutive games, you could see he was up to taking on the pressure and played really well imo.

Ferguson could decide what keeper to use depending on the opponent and how they're known to play. You're never 100% sure they will play like that in that match, but if you use past matches as a reference you have a general idea.
    Last edited by Nerph-; 2012-09-19 at 05:16 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    It is indeed something different, not sure if Ferguson has done this in the past. Then again he had keepers like Schmeichel (1991-1999), Barthez (2000-2003) and Van de Sar(2005-2011), that's 20 years of amazing keepers.
    And Massimo Taibi.

*shudder*
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    was barthez really that good though, I remember him only being the goalkeeper for france cause zidane wanted him to be eventhough Coupet was alot better at the time.

was barthez really that good though, I remember him only being the goalkeeper for france cause zidane wanted him to be eventhough Coupet was alot better at the time.
    Barthez could be very good and very bad He was one of those keepers that occasionally made an absolute howler, but at other times could pull off some really good saves.

Hoping to see some good action tonight, need the English clubs to carry my UEFA fantasy team! (Although I decided to be a bit Swedish, I picked Ibrahamovic as my captain)

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    I got all excited, clicked the link, then realized you people were talking about soccer... A little of me just died on the inside.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lamoot View Post
    I got all excited, clicked the link, then realized you people were talking about soccer... A little of me just died on the inside.
    talking real sports here not commercials

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lamoot View Post
    I'm sure you'll be fine, there's a long NFL thread that will keep you more than happy.

Edit: Barthez was genius mixed with moments of insanity. Got to realise this was the guy who went the entire of World Cup 98 and conceded only two goals taking the Yashin award.

Until now the best secondary keeper we ever had was van der Gouw. Along with Taibi we had such wonders as Bosnich (again) Culkin and Rachubka (who played a grand total of two games between them) Roy Carrol, who wasn't bad, Spurs fans still remember him fondly, Ricardo and Tim Howard. Howard I thought needed more time but when VDS became available there wasn't really room for him. Glad he's doing well at Everton.
    Last edited by Northern Goblin; 2012-09-19 at 02:30 PM.

Clearly forgot that legend of goalkeeping Andy Goram in 2001 for United!! Fergie does have a knack for being able to spot a stopper though - even if some of them have been borderline mentalists!
    Koodledrum - Balnazzar EU - 85 Priest - Retired.

15+ Year Old Account
    Simply put: Yes. Not only did he help the French team win the 98 World Cup and Euro 2000, he also holds the record for the most world cup finals clean sheets alongside Peter Shilton. Every keeper has bad moments, Barthez did too, he was rather "stuburn", if that's a good way to put it, but overall he was a pretty damn good keeper.
    Last edited by Nerph-; 2012-09-19 at 04:29 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by koodledrum View Post
    Clearly forgot that legend of goalkeeping Andy Goram in 2001 for United!! Fergie does have a knack for being able to spot a stopper though - even if some of them have been borderline mentalists!
    He was a loan though =p