Who will the papers write about now, on a better note finally that god fucking awful camo continental is off the roads I've seen some ugly shit in my time but damn that thing makes Luke Chadwick look like a chipendale!
    Koodledrum - Balnazzar EU - 85 Priest - Retired.

15+ Year Old Account
    I think Mancini will be happy he finally got rid of Balotelli lol.

Yeah before Balotelli ran him up the City training ground flagpole by his undercrackers!

Deleted
    Good chance for us to open a 7 point gap at the top again tomorrow. The thought of playing Nani, Van Persie, Rooney and Kagawa against Southampton /drool.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why do we keep doing this .....

10+ Year Old Account
    Why do other teams keep taking the lead against us, does no one learn anything these days?
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sadly if we do that vs Real in a couple weeks we are gonna get punished for it.

Edit: De Gae is looking so horrible this game
    Last edited by laffling; 2013-01-30 at 09:20 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The De Gea argument comes around time and time again, then he makes stops like that one.

That's also a ridiculously tight offside call. Right, but jeesh well spotted.

Spurs again just looking like they lacked the ability to score :/

Fortunate that Bale came up with a master-class of a goal, sometimes it seems too many of our players are just greedy, I know they're all insanely talented, but sometimes just pass the damn ball!

Deleted
    Hurrays a footy thread on here! Leeds United \o/

Quote Originally Posted by Zaladriel View Post
    Hurrays a footy thread on here! Leeds United \o/
    Noooo, no Leeds fans allowed!

---------- Post added 2013-01-31 at 02:16 PM ----------

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21276595

Becks to PSG. Reading the article I was like "You need to sum up Beckhams past?" Surely theres not been a more famous footballer on the planet?

I think its a good pick-up by PSG, he no doubt isn't very quick any more, but I can see him + Zlatan just giving defences no hope.

15+ Year Old Account
    Beckham can still work magic, that's for sure. I'm not sure why no English clubs decided to take him on, but I think PSG are making a good move here.

I'm not sure if I'd call Beckham the most famous footballer on the planet, not to downrate the bloke, he's had an amazing career but what about Pele etc.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by d3v View Post
    Beckham can still work magic, that's for sure. I'm not sure why no English clubs decided to take him on, but I think PSG are making a good move here.

I'm not sure if I'd call Beckham the most famous footballer on the planet, not to downrate the bloke, he's had an amazing career but what about Pele etc.
    I'd still think he might be the most famous tbh, he kinda bursted into the mainstream alongside football when the boom for premier league came for example.
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier, TF2
    "You were good son, real good; maybe even the best."

The only reason Beckham's "more famous" than the likes of Pele is purely a generational thing, we live in an age where if you see Wayne Rooney pissing in a plant pot in Nandos you immediately get it on Twitter/Facebook - the electronic generation as we're in now basically puts everything players today do out online for the world to see. Similarly every goal scored, every assist, every trick is posted online for people worldwide to view, 20 years ago Sky were changing football broadcasting, hell 50 years ago when Pele was playing most people didn't have a colour TV for christ sakes, there's no real direct comparison between footballers of the last 20 years & historical players, it's simply impossible to stack them up.

What you CAN say is that while Beckham's seemingly had the more glamorous career, you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who could argue that Pele is not his equal when it comes to what he did on the pitch in his career. Becks might have won a shitload of English domestic trophies with a strong United squad & trophies everywhere he's played up until now (with the noted exception of his loans with AC) but where you see a distinct lack of anything is internationally - Pele on the other hand, well, lets just say the guy picked up THREE world cups, need you say more?

Fame as a footballer is nothing, success as a footballer well, that counts, lets be honest, Luke Chadwick is a famous footballer, doesn't mean he's any good!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by koodledrum View Post
    Twe live in an age where if you see Wayne Rooney pissing in a plant pot in Nandos you immediately get it on Twitter/Facebook
    While once again Koodle is bang on the money with his summary, I just want to highlight this line for it's brilliance.

I don't think there'll ever be a more historically famous player than Pele. Beckham will be up there in the museums of football for the rest of history, but Pele will always be the main exhibit.

Edit: Thought of the day. Would Beckham be the media giant he is today if Giggs had played for England at senior level?

Would Beckham be the media giant he is today if Giggs had played for England at senior level?
    Yes? /10ch

No I kid. Beckham reached his level of fame for several reasons, I don't honestly think you can say that another huge player alongside him would have changed that. He married a pop-star and they've pretty much been the celebrity couple of the past what...15 years? He has been very active in promoting football and sports, I know Greenwich near me had the Beckham academy, no idea if more of those popped up elsewhere, he was very active in helping London get the Olympics too.

On top of that he was involved in basically everything for England over 10 years, getting sent off against Argentina, coming back to be made captain and literally carrying us against Greece to get our qualification. What was the story leading up to the 2002 World Cup? Will Beckham be fit. If we'd had Giggs on the other wing it'd probably just have helped Beckham even more by propelling us further in tournaments (maybe.)

Beckham has embraced being a celebrity and a footballer, look at his fan base in Asia. Yes its no doubt due to the times that the name Beckham may be more well known than Pele, but he embraced it and made himself a brand. What was the rumours about Real Madrid signing Beckham, it was because of the money from shirt sales? I think he has the most shirt sales of any footballer? Never has any other player even been considered to have that kind of impact on a clubs finances, and we're talking about one of the richest clubs in the world.

Beckham has always had a lot of outside factors in his fame, be it getting sent off at France 98, marrying a Spice Girl & being overly willing to open his trap to the media. Lets be honest, Giggs has always kinda went about his business in the game on the pitch, yeah there was all the crap about him with various women through the years but think about it, how many times have you ever heard Ryan Giggs in the media when it's nothing to do with a match? You rarely hear it, christ the only occasion I can think of is when the whole business came out about Imogen Thomas, that's something that Beckham would never be able to keep up as he loves nothing more than being in the spotlight, he's a narcasist who happens to be a fuckin brilliant dead ball striker!

That wouldn't have changed if Giggs was in an England shirt because you genuinely feel that Giggs isn't comfortable with all that circus show, in his mind he's a footballer, he's not an ambassador, he's not a genius, not a rock star, he's there to play football that's what he does & well, I'd say he does it arguably better than most.

All you need to do is look at what Beckham's done, coming out with the "I'm not getting paid, we're giving it all to charity" effort, now I'm not being a dick, that's a genuinely good thing to do, but that's 100% PR, on deadline day David Beckham HAS to be THE story in world football when it's completely unwarranted. There are players who will transfer today much more relevant to world football today than David Beckham, a player who's career is on the decline & is in all honesty only looking to prolong his career as long as possible. Instead of talking about the 23 year old prodigy who's just got the big money move to a Premiership club we're talking about David Beckham. He's the kind of guy who is going to announce his retirement from the game on the eve of the first game of a season just so he can have his grand farewell tour, that's just David Beckham.

It's really annoying given the fact he doesn't HAVE to be that guy, he was good enough to be like Ryan Giggs keeping his head down, playing football & STILL be the biggest name in the world.

(and the Wayne Rooney line is pretty funny the more I look at it - if anything it just further serves as proof that I'm a sick man)

It's really annoying given the fact he doesn't HAVE to be that guy, he was good enough to be like Ryan Giggs keeping his head down, playing football & STILL be the biggest name in the world.
    Maybe, but he decided he wanted to be very famous. He pays for it in certain ways, less privacy for him and his family, but I think overall they deal with it quite well. I also believe he is a genuinely nice guy, when living in Spain he often went to restaurants but they'd refuse to charge him, so he simply left a "tip" that more than covered the cost of a meal. He sets a good role model too, he's rarely been in trouble in the media and seems to live a good family life, he also receives praise from multiple managers for his work ethic, I don't see it as a bad thing that Beckham reached the level of fame he has.

I think he would have no regrets, he has gotten to live and play in several countries for some of the biggest teams ever, his family seem happy and people are arguing about whether or not he is the most famous footballer on the planet

No idea how they will fit him into a starting 11, their midfield is already full of quality, I'm guessing he will be super sub material. What PSG needs is another striker that can score goals, Zlatan has been brilliant this season but the other strikers can't score even if it means their life.
    Last edited by Jackmoves; 2013-01-31 at 07:44 PM.
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by Jackmoves View Post
    No idea how they will fit him into a starting 11, their midfield is already full of quality, I'm guessing he will be super sub material.
    Probably, I doubt he has the legs for 90minutes every week. Great player to have against lesser teams too, you can rest someone and bring him in for a game, he'll have enough quality to make sure you score still.