10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not a really young person, I have a different opinion than you. I'm Dutch myself, I know all about our golden generation and they didn't win anything. That's the only thing that counts in the end, not how beautiful it was or whatever. They didn't win a single thing. This Spanish side did, and how. You know, just because they lost 3-0 to Brazil in a tournament that nobody takes seriously (in 2009 they lost to the USA) doesn't mean that Spain is nothing.
    Ohio State Buckeye

Quote Originally Posted by Norganon View Post
    Oh wow mate, this is emberassing. This Spain team has to be the best national team ever. They've outplayed almost everyone, they won 3 trophies in a row, they were unbeaten for 28 matches in a row.
    Yes, Spain has a great team no doubt. But it's exactly what Unalorian said.

Spain defense is very poor, they barely won against Italy(which played better imo, they just lack better FW players), and got destroyed by an average Brazilian team. It's far from a dream team.

in a tournament that nobody takes seriously
    Now that's just an excuse, the same used when Europe teams lose the Club World Cups...
    Last edited by MakeMeLaugh; 2013-07-01 at 05:34 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Spain team is one of the top 5 teams ever, the best I don't know, I can only judge on teams Ive seen and this team is nothing compared to the england team of the last world cup...only jesting ofc, but I can't accurately compare this team to the classic Brazilians, Italians Germans etc because I havent seen them enough. This is a dream team for sure, they are exceptional on there day.

A lot of people think luiz was one of the best clearances off the line, I think this by kanu is better http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jQG73v7X0U the way he clers it over the bar...
    Last edited by draykorinee; 2013-07-01 at 08:25 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MakeMeLaugh View Post
    Now that's just an excuse, the same used when Europe teams lose the Club World Cups...
    Are you saying someone takes it seriously? I said this before it started and I say it now.
    Ohio State Buckeye

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Norganon View Post
    Are you saying someone takes it seriously? I said this before it started and I say it now.
    For Brazilians it's a big deal (I heard bigger deal than winning their CL). For European teams it's just a nuisance, as it takes place in the middle of the season.

seriously people, rofl spain is the best team ever (national level ofc), brazil never was at the level of Spain, euro-wc-euro, they were/are good because they have amazing team not just amazing players like brazil that can score out of nowhere or from chances that looks like they have 1% chance to score

and that's true not no one cares about confed cup (even it's the cup of the champions of each continent) brazil won this shit a lot, argentina played it once I think xD.
    Last edited by EqualWin; 2013-07-02 at 02:21 AM.
    "We live in a world where a style of play that uses posession and passing to try and make spaces is made fun of.
    While a style of play where a team sits back for 90 minutes and breaks away in 1v1 situations is respected."
    - Ronald Koeman.

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly, I consider myself a fairly enthusiastic football fan, I couldn't tell you a winner of a confed cup until this one, its an irrelevant cup.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by EqualWin View Post
    and that's true not no one cares about confed cup (even it's the cup of the champions of each continent) brazil won this shit a lot, argentina played it once I think xD.
    Like it would make any difference if Argentina had played that more...they dont win a single international competition since the early 90s iirc

As someone said above, "competition X is irrelevant" is an excuse of sore fans. Just re-watch the game and awards after, check face expression in spanish players. Nobody likes to loose regardless of the competition.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Unalorian View Post
    Like it would make any difference if Argentina had played that more...they dont win a single international competition since the early 90s iirc

As someone said above, "competition X is irrelevant" is an excuse of sore fans. Just re-watch the game and awards after, check face expression in spanish players. Nobody likes to loose regardless of the competition.
    Doesnt stop the competition being irrelevant to the majority of people, nobody likes losing, but I doubt any Spanish player will have lost sleep nor would any fans, its an irrelevant competition with very little prestige associated with winning it. Im not a Spanish fan, but if I was I wouldn't give a monkies about this trophy the next day, on the day sure, its a game, doesnt stop it being irrelevant.
    Last edited by draykorinee; 2013-07-02 at 07:00 AM.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    but I doubt any Spanish player will have lost sleep nor would any fans, its an irrelevant competition with very little prestige associated with winning it.
    Stop being naive: with the amount of money those players make, they dont loose sleep when they lost any competition, regardless of their nationality.

The competition itself is not the point of the discussion: the point is, in a non-friendly game clash like that both teams would like to win regardless. Brazil could claim they beat the world champions, Spain could claim they beat a former football potency but now there is a new sheriff in town. Claiming that "well competition is worth nothing so I bet the spaniards made a half-assed attempt to win" is just...well kinda foolish.

I'm not saying players don't care, ofc they do. but people don't, imo confed cup should be like or maybe more than euro/america cups.

but since just few "top" teams plays it, people barely care (anyway it's cursed, whoever won it, couldn't win the world cup next year xD)
    "We live in a world where a style of play that uses posession and passing to try and make spaces is made fun of.
    While a style of play where a team sits back for 90 minutes and breaks away in 1v1 situations is respected."
    - Ronald Koeman.

10+ Year Old Account
    Stop being naive: with the amount of money those players make, they dont loose sleep when they lost any competition, regardless of their nationality.
    Whilst I am very critical of the modern day football this is just not true in the slightest, you just contradicted yourself too, one minute you say they are gutted they lose then go on to say they don't care about any competition, which is it?

10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23177876 Phil neville as first team coach, seems alright choice to me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ryan Giggs to also be a player-coach. Now if they can get Scholes in the backroom staff as well that's years of solid modern experience.

Would love to see Gary Neville do the same but who'd be left to hit Jamie Redknapp when he says something stupid on Sky Sports?
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23176481 England are below belgium, in all honesty the rankings system has always been shit, we were like 3rd once having not made it to a final for 50 years, the system is a joke, brazil were not in the top 20 last month.

Seriously, who is designing these kits!
    Last edited by draykorinee; 2013-07-04 at 12:19 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Oi, no digging at Belgium, we have a decent team!

But the ranking system is a joke.

Any type of ranking system will be flawed.

FIFA's is result oriented and is based on competitive games, friendly games hardly count in comparison.

The system is based on this formula P = M*I*T*C

M = points for a match result (3 for a win, 1 for a tie, 0 for a loss)
    I = Importance for a match (the more competitive a match is, the bigger the weight of is, i.e. a world cup game has a weight of 4.0 and a friendly has 1.0
    T= strength of an opposing team (200 - ranking position of opposition)
    C = strength of confederation (coefficient based on the confederation, UEFA has a 1.0, AFC has a 0.86)

matches after a year are depreciated and no result past 4 years is counted

Some teams are obviously going to be miscalculated on their strength such as Brazil, since they have only played friendlies except for the recent confederations cup (hence, their climb in the rankings)

Edit:

I'd say England and Belgium are pretty comparable, strength wise.
    Last edited by Valeron; 2013-07-04 at 09:41 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by d3v View Post
    Oi, no digging at Belgium, we have a decent team!

But the ranking system is a joke.
    Lol, I made the comment in jest knowing we had belgians :P I'd place us roughly in the same place.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Lol, I made the comment in jest knowing we had belgians :P I'd place us roughly in the same place.
    :P Yeah I think talent wise we're level, hopefully we'll get to play eachother in WC 2014 Being half english half belgian I'd be torn who to root for!

Are you guys gonna watch any of the women's euros? I'm not sure what day it starts, next week or weekend. They've sold quite a lot of tickets for being women's football, around 100k so far to the group games and 21k tickets sold for the final at friends Arena.
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...